Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OC6 Announcements

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Just watching the live stream... so far:
  • Quest Link to use your Quest as a tethered PCVR headset, releasing in November
  • Hand tracking without controllers or gloves, launching on Quest (and Rift?) in early 2020
  • Facebook Horizon: metaverse-like shared world(?) launching next year
  • AR glasses under development at Facebook Reality Labs
  • Passthrough+ (stereocorrect view) releasing on Quest next week, and Passthrough on Demand later this year
  • Go apps updating to Quest, free for Quest users
  • New enterprise-level services for business use of VR
  • Half Dome 2 and 3 prototypes, and more future tech presented by Abrash
Awesome stuff!

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo
182 REPLIES 182

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Wildt said:

While I appreciate how cool the Link cable is, I'd still much rather have a wireless Rift X than a wired Quest.
So for now Oculus aren't seeing more of my money unless my CV1 + TPcast suddenly croakes.

Agreed, I wonder how Quest will be able to provide perfect image quality in 2880x1600, which is the exact same res as the Index. Even 72 Hz will not be enough the maintain same performance as CV1 90 Hz, because 20% lower refresh rate will not allow for 80% higher res with no performance penalties. Also Index uses DisplayPort for a reason, and 72 x 2880x1600 are a massive amount of pixels to display without latencies. And then inside-out tracking gets reduced to only 4 cameras.
As I wrote in the a Robinson thread recently, CV1 can be better even than Index in a few select games where temporal antialiasing provides great benefits. Really interesting to see how Quest will perform in Asgard's Wrath and Stormland compared to both CV1 and Rift-S.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Anonymous
Not applicable

RuneSR2 said:

Wildt said:

While I appreciate how cool the Link cable is, I'd still much rather have a wireless Rift X than a wired Quest.
So for now Oculus aren't seeing more of my money unless my CV1 + TPcast suddenly croakes.

Agreed, I wonder how Quest will be able to provide perfect image quality in 2880x1600, which is the exact same res as the Index. Even 72 Hz will not be enough the maintain same performance as CV1 90 Hz, because 20% lower refresh rate will not allow for 80% higher res with no performance penalties. Also Index uses DisplayPort for a reason, and 72 x 2880x1600 are a massive amount of pixels to display without latencies. And then inside-out tracking gets reduced to only 4 cameras.
As I wrote in the a Robinson thread recently, CV1 can be better even than Index in a few select games where temporal antialiasing provides great benefits. Really interesting to see how Quest will perform in Asgard's Wrath and Stormland compared to both CV1 and Rift-S.

Refresh rates are a bigger bandwidth hog than total pixels are over a given time frame such as 1/90 vs 1/72. This gives a bit of time to preform compression - static FOVA - and other methods to help improve the over all bandwidth per image sent.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Wildt said:

Are you referring to Oculus hardware only? Or will you still by Oculus software exclusives?

I am still holding out on the hardware front as well. I will continue to wait for a true CV2, but I will also keep buying that Software!

I think Oculus will stick to a £400 price for headset and pretty much current PC spec target for PCVR in the future, increasing a bit over the next couple of years but not massively.

So by the time the tech in the half-dome prototypes is ready for market (2 years?), that's exactly what it'll be. £400 and with foveated rendering (eye-tracked rather than AADT) to allow higher resolution/FOV to be used with that target PC hardware.

I'm still completely undecided about merging mobile and PCVR in a single device. For me I think it needs a few more advances in ergonomics... I know there are options for the Quest to balance it but having a battery is always going to produce a headset that's a bit front heavy (not to mention the processor/heatsink and stuff) and adding a weight at the rear may improve things but the headset is going to be heavier still compared to PC only headset. A removable battery might be a solution for a merged device and/or placed on the rear of the head strap.

The 72hz thing is necessary for mobile to compensate for processing power and resolution bump so, as others have said, a merged device needs to have a switchable refresh rate. Maybe not 90hz for PC because of the resolution but 80hz, unless AADT is better than I think, in which case 90hz... do people move their heads more than their eyes? if so then AADT may be ok but I'm sceptical.

In another thread, it was said that Steam games won't be accommodated by the link and that's a major thing for me if true. So if all these things are tweaked in the next Quest then I'm all for a single headset in the future, until then 2 headsets for me.

And to confuse people who enjoy predicting the demise of the Rift... why not rename the next merged device something like... The Quift.

Coincidentally this describes what these headsets do to my hair.

Wildt
Consultant

Zenbane said:

Wildt said:

Are you referring to Oculus hardware only? Or will you still by Oculus software exclusives?

I am still holding out on the hardware front as well. I will continue to wait for a true CV2, but I will also keep buying that Software!

Hardware only - I'm still buying the (good) Oculus timed exclusives 🙂
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

nalex66
MVP
MVP

In another thread, it was said that Steam games won't be accommodated by the link and that's a major thing for me if true.

An Oculus rep has confirmed that "unknown apps" will work with Oculus Link just like they do with Rift.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Man - I am still going over the information on HD3 and my jaw still keeps dropping every time. That thing is not even a leap - but the difference between us driving a car to work or flying a rocket to the Moon for work. lol

nalex66 said:

In another thread, it was said that Steam games won't be accommodated by the link and that's a major thing for me if true.

An Oculus rep has confirmed that "unknown apps" will work with Oculus Link just like they do with Rift.

Thanks nalex, I'd enjoy knowing the details about this... I mean it must have something to do with how the games are called and processed, with compression being talked about and maybe all that is part of the Oculus SDK, but just wondered if future developments could allow the same to be done for unknown apps in a slightly different way... or something.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
I believe that they said there would be a blog post coming up going over the nitty gritty of how it all works. I'm also keen to hear more details. There have been some hands-on accounts from OC6, and some sessions that covered more than the announcement did. so far it sounds pretty good.

I'm now reviewing my cable situation so I can test the beta that releases in November before the official link cable goes on sale (I read that it will cost $79). I have 5m active USB 3.0 extender cables for some of my sensors, and a USB 3.0 A to C cable that I use for side-loading, so hopefully I can use those to try it out. Once the official link cable is available, I'll most likely get that, and add a USB C PCIe card to my computer.

Anonymous
Not applicable
What's fun is that I was thinking what to do with my old computer - and my brother's kids I got Quest for really wanted to play Onward in VR - so this is perfect timing really for them xD