cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did Oculus just standardize 5-finger tracking and make hand-controllers obsolete??

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
One of my favorite announcements from Facebook and Oculus today is the new controller-free hand tracking.

This is quite amazing since it gives us 5-finger tracking while removing any bulky controllers from our hands entirely, thus allowing us to use our mouse, keyboard, and interact with any other real world objects while keeping our hands and fingers tracked. An added bonus is the way this works seamlessly with Passthrough technology; and of course the future we will see with Facebook's vision for Augmented Reality and Mixed Reality.

The only downside (aside from perfecting tracking accuracy) is the lack of haptic feedback. However, I never cared for haptic feedback at all (it adds battery drain and doesn't accurately reflect what happens in the real world!) so it's a worthy sacrifice considering the huge benefits and possibilities.

And this technology is going to be open-sourced. So... is this the new universal path forward?
53 REPLIES 53

Anonymous
Not applicable

kojack said:

One of the attendees wrote this on twitter:
After playing with the Quest’s hand tracking at #OC6:
I’d put it at ~60% Leap Motion’s fidelity
~200ms latency was most distracting

Finger occlusion was comparable
Pinch interactions very solid
Any fast movements immediately freeze at the hand model’s last known location

https://twitter.com/graycrawford/status/1176986844136759297

Sounds good for UI though into media applications. 

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Yeah, I think generally speaking, this will be great for non-gaming apps like real estate walkthroughs, virtual shopping, media players, interactive experiences, and demos for those non-gamer family members.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Wildt said:

kojack said:

Given that it’s an early-2020 beta there’s time to continue honing

Most of the affordances in the mad scientist’s lair demo were pinch or poke interactions, with no graspable objects, so I can’t speak to more active manipulations

The tracking volume was sufficiently wide, reaching the edge of the FOV fine

On a couple of occasions the hand models swapped left and right hands facing backwards which happens on Leap v4 as well

Someone still has a lot of work to do apparently 🙂

This tech is being open-sourced, iirc. So... we ALL have a lot of work to do apparently 😛

inovator
Consultant

Zenbane said:

Wildt said:

kojack said:

Given that it’s an early-2020 beta there’s time to continue honing

Most of the affordances in the mad scientist’s lair demo were pinch or poke interactions, with no graspable objects, so I can’t speak to more active manipulations

The tracking volume was sufficiently wide, reaching the edge of the FOV fine

On a couple of occasions the hand models swapped left and right hands facing backwards which happens on Leap v4 as well

Someone still has a lot of work to do apparently 🙂

This tech is being open-sourced, iirc. So... we ALL have a lot of work to do apparently 😛

Wow you turned out to be smarter than I thought and can predict the future. I couldnt understand why you wouldn't buy a rift s when the kinks were worked out. 

Edit: Ps someone got offended what I said. I was just joking with u. Out of curiosity would you have known that? Omg the world is to sensitive. Everyone gets a trophy so they wont feel bad

Anonymous
Not applicable

inovator said:

[...]

Maybe I am miss reading it - but please note this can go against the TOS of the forum and consider a person attack - please reword your message if you can... both parties might have a laugh - but don't start a fight please=)

inovator
Consultant

Mradr said:

inovator said:

[...]

Maybe I am miss reading it - but please note this can go against the TOS of the forum and consider a person attack - please reword your message if you can... both parties might have a laugh - but don't start a fight please=)

Mradr said:

inovator said:

[...]

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I actually like zenbane. He has a quest and was on the fence about buying a rift s. Now he wont have to since the quest PC  upgrade. I was just joking. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

inovator said:

Edit: Ps someone got offended what I said. I was just joking with u. Out of curiosity would you have known that? Omg the world is to sensitive. Everyone gets a trophy so they wont feel bad

lol no one got offended:) Just it's a good day and don't wanna start it off bad like, you know what I mean=) OC is now 😄 lets have fun with all the good news=)

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I'm actually glad Mradr mentioned something that led to clearing things up. I wasn't going to comment on it at first. I know inovator and myself are usually in friendly disagreement. But yeah, I couldn't tell if he was joking... or calling me a dumbass. LOL
❤️

inovator
Consultant

Zenbane said:

I'm actually glad Mradr mentioned something that led to clearing things up. I wasn't going to comment on it at first. I know inovator and myself are usually in friendly disagreement. But yeah, I couldn't tell if he was joking... or calling me a dumbass. LOL
❤️

Sometimes I have a dry sense of humor. But seriously it's good you waited. Now you can have your cake and eat it with your quest.  I think the s is more comfortable for me than my quest but not 400 dollars more comfortable if I had the quest only. It will be interesting to see if the higher resolution on PC makes it look better than the rift s since the quests native res is higher. My lack of knowledge makes me wonder if the 72 refresh rate on PC will pick up a little.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

So I had a thought based on all the feedback here,

I suppose that the "hand strap" on Touch Controllers will be the most innovative feature once Pure Hand Tracking is released??!

Think about it... your controllers can hang at your wrists while your real hand is being track. And then with a quick flick of the wrist, you have the physical controller back in your hand. You could even have a controller in one hand and your real hand tracked on the other.

Interesting combinations and a variety of possibilities here! RPG combat could get a serious upgrade.