cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

really?

donkeyc0ck
Explorer
You don't have to look far to find an annoyed community of new rift S owners. No real news of any upgrades or accessories for the rift S, plenty of people saying its dead because oculus are concentrating on the quest and its new link cable. Some people are even saying that the visuals are going to be better on the quest due to its higher res(even though i don't believe that myself). How can a 2019 headset be dead already? Is this really the truth?

mx7dapllmaz4.png
62 REPLIES 62

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
We have to face facts - once Rift-S was revealed, and the Rift was suspended to be replaced, the vocal VR community were not happy - either complacency trying to paint the situation as ok and they were happy - or torch burning unhappiness, following comments about IPD and quality of Lenvo build, in support of ex-executives Tweets. 

I am of a mind that the Quest Link has been over hyped by some - even TESTED have pulled back on some of their statements, while other reviewers double down - as seen with those joke videos on the "Rist-S is Dead" - there is a feeling that if this was always the plan with Link, that it could have been handled better. Seems OculusVR marketing have created a millstone for themselves, having to spend more on explaining the differences... if they are going to?

With the number of posters claiming to be new Rift-S owners considering returning their hardware under warranty and getting a Quest Link, it will be interesting to see if the Steam survey reflects this the month after next? 
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

donkeyc0ck
Explorer
Nice reply! yes, it will be interesting to see, I am happy with mine, just disappointed to see what is happening! Cant wait to see some side by side reviews once the cable is out!

lensmandave
Superstar
I love my Rift S, great upgrade form CV1. Yes, the tethered Quest is likely to be lower detailed visually. Higher res on paper but oled versus higher pixel density RGB stripe of the S.
Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB - Nvidia RTX 3080 ti - 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Like I've mentioned in another thread or two (both here and elsewhere) I'm happy with my Rift S for one main reason - the headstrap. I simply can't live without it now. The eye relief alone is going to save me a good chunk of change every year because I won't need to keep getting prescription lenses for the thing.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
I wouldn't worry too much about it, there's always something new around the corner. Oculus hasn't said Rift-S is no longer for sale, and with 80 Hz, 5 cameras, lcd subpixels there's no reason - for now - not to simply enjoy the Rift-S if you have one. SDE and no hmd fan also are arguments for Rift-S compared to Quest, and who cares about being able to play GearVR-like games untethered 😉

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yeah I don't see me abandoning my Rift S anytime soon.
Just received a Quest and if I can ever get through it updating the software I hope to have a go with it.
Seems to be stuck at about 95% ugh.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

dburne said:

Yeah I don't see me abandoning my Rift S anytime soon.
Just received a Quest and if I can ever get through it updating the software I hope to have a go with it.
Seems to be stuck at about 95% ugh.

Would love to read a (short) review especially concerning res, colors, black levels, SDE and tracking - compared to Rift-S. Also if you can hear the fan when the heat is on 😉

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

It looks suspiciously likely that those 'annoyed communuty' examples are all tech journalist articles so the object of the exercise would be to make a headline.

Just like the peopke here who've bought the Rift-S, after having a CV1 I don't regret it either and I also have the Quest. I think the Rift-S users are the community that matters and therefore the voices to take notice of tbh rather than journos or those who seem to be looking for an 'i told you so' moment.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
I don't think its said enough - so I will say it. Congratulations to OculusVR and Lenovo for being able to come up with a compromise design that has made many ex-CV1 owners happily migrate to the new platform. I think the work that OculusVR Texas did on improve the tracking and also the new add-on's in the wings of hand tracking and pass-through will make this a valuable addition to the family. I however feel that the direction for the company now will be more on a Standalone tack, but this dose not stop their investment in (non-high-end) PC VR.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959