cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If the Rift S doesn't get hand tracking I'll be monumentally pi**ed

uKER
Adventurer
Can't believe I'm not seeing anything about this here.
The Quest is not only getting promoted to a PC+standalone device, making the Rift S virtually obsolete but it's also getting hand tracking which the Rift S could well get too, but apparently isn't getting.
And yeah, I know the speech about the Rift S having 8 Hz better refresh, supposedly better subpixel layout, and some milliseconds less latency, but when the time comes to resell it, nobody will care.
Also, the Quest has IPD adjustment and OLED panels.

If the Rift is left so much behind the Quest, it will become garbage you can't sell unless you practically give it away.
A slap in the face of the people who paid the exact same money as those who bought a Quest.

Not happy AT ALL.
41 REPLIES 41

Anonymous
Not applicable
To play fair - what are you going to use hand tracking at all with? What will it give to you to have that it be a deal  breaker if it wasnt there? Do you understand that the hand tracking isn't that great either with in millia seconds of time sometimes for it to work at times?

ShocksVR
Superstar

Mradr said:

To play fair - what are you going to use hand tracking at all with? What will it give to you to have that it be a deal  breaker if it wasnt there? Do you understand that the hand tracking isn't that great either with in millia seconds of time sometimes for it to work at times?

Social VR interactions. Hand tracking will be helpful in the upcoming Facebook Horizon experience.

@uKER Here's a UserVoice thread where you can vote for Hand Tracking support: https://oculus.uservoice.com/forums/918556-oculus-rift-s-and-rift/suggestions/38690920-optical-handt...

i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

Redlightning777
Protege
There are quite a few decisions those behind these units, in my humble opinion, are making that are just so anti-consumer and reek of pure money making bull.... when the VR industry decides to tank they are going to start blaming everything but their own choices. 

Like the decision not to sell replacement cables..  and really..  just why?  in most games I play it is in almost constant motion.   Pure gold to them..   not from me.   That breaks..  damned if I'm giving more of my money out, oh wait..  that would mean I would lose access to all my bought games in the ocu-gardania of a store... quite a conundrum over a 20-40 dollar cable..  heck it would still be a steal at 50 bucks. 

Oh ..  the madness. 

uKER
Adventurer
It's a true shame.
I'd say sometimes bad reputation due to stuff like this is more relevant as to the success of a company than actually putting out good products.
Say, if Pimax got good press among its customers, it would deserve to destroy Oculus even if its headsets weren't all that much better.

Anonymous
Not applicable

uKER said:

It's a true shame.
I'd say sometimes bad reputation due to stuff like this is more relevant as to the success of a company than actually putting out good products.
Say, if Pimax got good press among its customers, it would deserve to destroy Oculus even if its headsets weren't all that much better.

It is apparent Oculus focus right now is on Quest and getting Link and Hand Tracking working with it. 
They have said nothing on Rift S in regards to Hand Tracking, so that does not mean it will or won't get it, just apparently not something they are ready to address just yet.
I think currently the Rift S is what it is, and they are focused intently on furthering capabilities of Quest.
Oculus tends to stay pretty tight lipped anyway. I would not be surprised if when they get the kinks worked out they move in onto Rift S, seems like it would be not so difficult to implement once done for Quest.
But who knows...

Anonymous
Not applicable
They've never said it wasn't coming to the Rift-S...it's still in the early stages of beta, and maybe they want to perfect it on the Quest first, before releasing to the Rift-S. As well, there's concern the Rift-S's cameras might not pick up the hands in the same area as the Quest's cameras.

Anonymous
Not applicable

ShocksVR said:

Mradr said:

Social VR interactions. Hand tracking will be helpful in the upcoming Facebook Horizon experience.

@uKER Here's a UserVoice thread where you can vote for Hand Tracking support: https://oculus.uservoice.com/forums/918556-oculus-rift-s-and-rift/suggestions/38690920-optical-handt...

Sure - but controllers can do it - and better in some cases. Again - what makes it a deal breaker/black lash like that? Again - have to keep in mind that it isn't fast - breaks tracking quite easy - and takes time for it to work in some cases still. Sure it'll get better - but only by a percent here and there until another hardware release.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sitting on the couch watching videos, surfing the net, Social apps, Home,Google earth and assuming they get it right you will have a lot of control options.

Not to mention people with hand injuries / conditions maybe better able to use a hand rather than a controller, I have a current condition that it would make using VR a lot less painful.

The latest Tested has a great chat with an Oculus tech about options  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2zLneGGbk8&t=1768s

Borscht4eVR
Heroic Explorer
I have two predictions to make:
1. Rift S won't get hand tracking (at least not right away)
2. You'll be monumentally pi**ed (at least right away)
😄