cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Family Accounts please!

Eispfogel
Expert Protege
Let me start by saying that i am looking forward to the Quest and cannot wait for the release!
But there are some concerns about Game Sharing and Accounts

I once installed Oculus Home to test ReVive, but that never really felt good(issues with controllers and performance with Vive and WMR), so i did not buy games from the Oculus Store  - all my games are on Steam.
I now own a WMR Headset, PSVR and the Go. I can play cross platform games together with my family just fine.

Now i want to buy 2 Quests(maybe a third down the line if my SO likes it and wants to join in). Since there is no Cross-Buy between Go and Quest i have to buy everything again. For example - i already have Thumper on PC, PSVR and Go, so i would have to buy it a fourth time and a fifth(and maybe even sixth) time when my son wants that game too.

This will get really expensive down the line, so i would like some form of family accounts at least. 
My son also owns a PS4 and we set up a family account so that he can play the games that i bought and this also includes my SO. We can also play Multiplayer games together.
Please make something like those account for the Quest, because otherwise i don't know if we jump unto the Quest.

35 REPLIES 35

cautomaton
Honored Guest
Bumping this.

I have a Rift, Rift S, and Quest. I'm happy with the cross-buy support, but the inability to swap accounts and the lack of family accounts is a serious hindrance to any at-home multiplayer.

Family sharing would be ideal. That would require either secondary profiles associated with a primary account, or some way to share titles between accounts.

But honestly, I'm fine rebuying certain games. I already have bought them across different platforms like the Vive and Oculus.

However, the fact that I have to FACTORY RESET by Quest in order to switch a profile means it was NEVER intended for more than one person to use. That's ridiculous. Even Nintendo, which is horrible about this stuff, does better. It means I can't easily save progress between players in my home. I definitely can't do multiplayer without a lot of extra work. It's just... crazy.

Facebook has the resources. This isn't an alpha platform anymore. These are table-stake features for any similar gaming / computing platform.

cjesqip
Honored Guest
Dear Oculus,

If you permit sharing with family members, I'll buy one or two additional Quests for my three kids and wife.

If you don't enable that, like other content providers (Amazon, Google, etc.) I'm less sure about multiple Quests at my house.

alexander1949
Explorer
All I want from the Quest is simply to purchase a couple of games play them under my Avatar and save my progress. Then my wife could have her own avatar, play the games that are on my account  and my Quest then therefore save her progress under her name. If it can be done on all consoles then why not on the Quest.

drummos
Honored Guest
Piling on. Please add family accounts. I can see maybe having to get a separate headset for everyone but having to buy the same game three times because there are three of us is overkill. We can't really afford that. At least make it a clear callout before the headset and games are bought so consumers know before they buy the situation.

pixeloman
Honored Guest
I guess nobody of oculus ever read these demands. I'm going to sit this out out and see what the competition is going to do in response to the quest. It is not going to take long I think. Than sell the oculus second hand, to get a family-friendly system. In the meanwhile, we stick to the short games, and reset when the next one plays... This limits the choice, but keeps the peace.

ale4king
Honored Guest
Well i think the developers are simple not old enough to have own kids in an age where the Quest come into account.
Or they all have heaps of money to buy 3 or 4 Oculus Quest for the family... and any game 3 or 4 times. 
Sorry, as a singledad i have limited resources. And buying more than one Quest simply is beyond my scope.
Any other "console" is capable of doing the "multi-user" job. It is simply disappointing.

Anyway a workaround might be that any games have "slots" to store individual progress.
So that you can pick your own "slot" when loading the program. That would be sufficient for most families.

Nunyabinez
Rising Star
I'm sorry, but people are being unreasonable and are going to be severely disappointed.

First of all, why would I as a developer give a crap about that Facebook would sell two more Quests without me getting any more revenue for the two new people playing my game. You people realize that Facebook isn't the only one making games for the quest. So, there is no way in hell that we are going to get a buy once, share with your "family" multiplayer. What would stop you from buying one copy and playing simultaneously with 10 of your friends resulting in 9 lost licenses to developers. And to be fair, 10 people are enjoying it, so why shouldn't they each be paying for their experience?

What is reasonable, is that Oculus create the ability to have sub-accounts. So my son could log into my Oculus account and his sub-account to have his own achievements, etc. But I wouldn't be able to log on with another headset and play multiplayer with him, because we are sharing one license. Just like the way Steam works, when you log on somewhere else, it logs you off the other machines.

Also, we should have the ability to switch main accounts, so that I could let my son switch to his main account to play games that he owns. The ones that are loaded but not purchased by the other person are simply disabled. That way two people could share hardware.

That is what is reasonable. I would have liked to not have to pay a second time for Beat Saber on my Quest after buying it on Rift, but I understand that the developers had to do extra work to get it to work on Quest and I'm not about to ask people to work for free just because I want to save some money.

i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest | Quest 2

cmarcano
Honored Guest
Well I am going to have agree somewhat with Nunyabinez, although traditionally buying a game in a box meant you owned it and could often install it on a couple of computers. Buying a DVD movie meant you could show it to multiple members of your household and friends and buying music Cds could be played by anyone. The digital age finds us paying less for downloadable content often under$20 for highly sophisticated VR immersive and environments and games with a numbr of them offered for far less during special sales. I found this thread looking for a way to do exactly what most people are asking here for a family account but after seeing how Nunyabinez explained it and being a content creator myself I can appreciate the logic, particularly given the lower price being paid for some pretty fabulous VR content. If we expect the industry to thrive offering lower priced applications I think I can see now that it makes sense to have multiple accounts for multiple players or we risk losing the evolution of VR for lack of support for the content creators.

Artist3d
Explorer
ditto that, support VR content creators! But yeah, multiple login options in a single game on a single VR headset please, so we can compare scores.

SassyMustang198
Honored Guest
would love sub-accounts for family members,  I myself and my husband and child would like to have sub-accounts.. not seperate accounts so we can keep tabs on our own scores.. having to buy a game twice because of seperate accounts is stupid and not even Steam does that, or any other game console, so why should the VR world be any different,  give us the option to have sub-accounts for multiple family members..  thats all most of us are asking for.