cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If the Rift S doesn't get hand tracking I'll be monumentally pi**ed

uKER
Adventurer
Can't believe I'm not seeing anything about this here.
The Quest is not only getting promoted to a PC+standalone device, making the Rift S virtually obsolete but it's also getting hand tracking which the Rift S could well get too, but apparently isn't getting.
And yeah, I know the speech about the Rift S having 8 Hz better refresh, supposedly better subpixel layout, and some milliseconds less latency, but when the time comes to resell it, nobody will care.
Also, the Quest has IPD adjustment and OLED panels.

If the Rift is left so much behind the Quest, it will become garbage you can't sell unless you practically give it away.
A slap in the face of the people who paid the exact same money as those who bought a Quest.

Not happy AT ALL.
41 REPLIES 41

I'm with you @uKER I'll be a bit passed too. I don't see a reason not to have it on the S though and like @Spuzzum says, I have a sneaky feeling it hasn't been confirmed, either because it's later down the development pipeline or because Quest is just the headline headset atm. They'll make more announcements about hand tracking before too long.

Also, if I remember right, the Quest is doing the hand tracking computing (rather than a feature that's limited to Link mode and done from the PC), whereas the PC would do it for the Rift-S so that in itself needs separate development, meaning change to PC software. So maybe that would explain different release dates.

Anonymous
Not applicable
One thing mentioned was that it works best with the Qualcomm chip in the Quest, as it's specifically designed for VR and AR, as well as having the camera tech already in phones, that's already being used to track the controllers. Doing it on the pc 'should' be possible, but would take a different code than what's being used for the Quest. I mean they have Leap Motion, which is pc based, so it's definitely possible.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/5/29/17405186/qualcomm-xr1-virtual-reality-ar-chip-anno...
https://www.cnet.com/news/qualcomm-new-phone-powered-eye-tracking-vr-and-ar-headsets-are-coming-in-2...

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
I bought Rift S and I am more concerned with the fact that Oculus has not released an add on for sound yet?

They need to release an addon for built in earphones or a whole new deluxe audio strap of some kind. I don't know what's taking so long.
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

I bought Rift S and I am more concerned with the fact that Oculus has not released an add on for sound yet?

They need to release an addon for built in earphones or a whole new deluxe audio strap of some kind. I don't know what's taking so long.

agreed

Spuzzum said:

One thing mentioned was that it works best with the Qualcomm chip in the Quest, as it's specifically designed for VR and AR, as well as having the camera tech already in phones, that's already being used to track the controllers. Doing it on the pc 'should' be possible, but would take a different code than what's being used for the Quest. I mean they have Leap Motion, which is pc based, so it's definitely possible.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/5/29/17405186/qualcomm-xr1-virtual-reality-ar-chip-anno...
https://www.cnet.com/news/qualcomm-new-phone-powered-eye-tracking-vr-and-ar-headsets-are-coming-in-2...

Yeah, I assume its just a question of which they focused on first. Maybe Quest is seen is the priority for getting it working as that may have needed more work so as not to impact on the limited processing power, so makes for a more impressive feature.

I like to do the difficult tasks first and leave the easy things until that's done! Donno really, I'm rambling.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Facebook have said that they’ll look at it on Rift S later, but the answer is a little noncommittal. It is a somewhat separate branch of development, considering that the Quest version was built around the specific capabilities of the on-board Qualcomm chip. 

Another thing to consider; when the Rift S was announced, they said that it would in no way make CV1 obsolete, and that there wouldn’t be anything on Rift S that couldn’t be played on CV1. They may be reluctant to start introducing new features that divide the PCVR base, and if they did release it on the Rift S, they might want to keep its use limited to non-essential functions that can also be achieved with controllers. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Another thing to consider; when the Rift S was announced, they said that it would in no way make CV1 obsolete, and that there wouldn’t be anything on Rift S that couldn’t be played on CV1. They may be reluctant to start introducing new features that divide the PCVR base, and if they did release it on the Rift S, they might want to keep its use limited to non-essential functions that can also be achieved with controllers. 

Now that's an interesting comment, I hadn't thought of that. It's logical I guess but would be a hell of a shame if it turns out that's the deciding factor.

nalex66
MVP
MVP

Now that's an interesting comment, I hadn't thought of that. It's logical I guess but would be a hell of a shame if it turns out that's the deciding factor.

On the other side of that coin, it would be a shame for CV1 users if we suddenly saw a lot of Rift S games that made use of passthrough camera views and/or hand tracking features that the CV1 couldn't do.

On a new platform like Quest, or a true Rift 2, that would be another thing, because there would be no promise of compatibility for older systems, but Rift S was specifically not supposed to upset the apple cart for the Rift ecosystem.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Anonymous
Not applicable

nalex66 said:

On the other side of that coin, it would be a shame for CV1 users if we suddenly saw a lot of Rift S games that made use of passthrough camera views and/or hand tracking features that the CV1 couldn't do.

On a new platform like Quest, or a true Rift 2, that would be another thing, because there would be no promise of compatibility for older systems, but Rift S was specifically not supposed to upset the apple cart for the Rift ecosystem.

I think the idea of a new headset not surpassing the old is just a falis of an idea to keep a hold of. It never work in the past as a new feature will be added either way over all to get users to upgrade in the first place most of the time or a new way to do something comes out.

Yep, I'm with Mradr on that one... don't let old tech hold up the new.

The problem is that if it proves useful, and it's not implemented on PC for Rift-S, it's the kind of feature that could attract more people to Quest instead of PCVR which would have a detrimental effect on PCVR development overall, and that wouldn't' be great for CV1 owners either, who must want to upgrade at some point, presumably to a headset that has a feature like this.

The best solution I think is for software developers to allow for both Touch and hand tracking options within games.