cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

really?

donkeyc0ck
Explorer
You don't have to look far to find an annoyed community of new rift S owners. No real news of any upgrades or accessories for the rift S, plenty of people saying its dead because oculus are concentrating on the quest and its new link cable. Some people are even saying that the visuals are going to be better on the quest due to its higher res(even though i don't believe that myself). How can a 2019 headset be dead already? Is this really the truth?

mx7dapllmaz4.png
62 REPLIES 62

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
The freak-outs are still going strong today. I am pleasantly surprised to see it being so contained on this forum. Most people have taken their torches to reddit and the Facebook VR Groups. Lots of people getting on each other's Block List, lots of Threads getting deleted, etc. I've just been watching the fireworks and taking screenshots of the topics that make me chuckle.

Like this one:

jvwo62wkxvce.png

So... now everyone wants a "Quest Ready PC"

LMAO

inovator
Consultant
It's going to be interesting. I have no clue what will happen until the reviews stream in. I will pay more attention to the reviews to judge 100% when the oculus quest cable comes out in January. In November only the link app will be out. The community will have to figure what cable works best until then. If I didn't own both headsets and the link review was good  and even if the experience wasn't as good but was close I would buy the quest only. Many people who already bought both would have held off if it was announced  this was going to happen. I dont blame anyone that feels betrayed by oculus for not anouncing  this to begin with. It was a little underhanded of them. But I could understand their thinking. If it was announced would that have greatly reduced the rift s sales?  Maybe. 

ShocksVR
Superstar

inovator said:

It's going to be interesting. I have no clue what will happen until the reviews stream in. I will pay more attention to the reviews to judge 100% when the oculus quest cable comes out in January. In November only the link app will be out. The community will have to figure what cable works best until then. If I didn't own both headsets and the link review was good  and even if the experience wasn't as good but was close I would buy the quest only. Many people who already bought both would have held off if it was announced  this was going to happen. I dont blame anyone that feels betrayed by oculus for not anouncing  this to begin with. It was a little underhanded of them. But I could understand their thinking. If it was announced would that have greatly reduced the rift s sales?  Maybe. 

Yup.
Oculus has stated Rift S will still deliver the better PCVR experience, there's many Link hands on impressions that back this up. But it sounds like it's marginal. So if the Quest can deliver 80% of what Rift S delivers, then most will probably opt for Quest as it'll be "good enough".

Rift S should get a price decrease to reflect the increased value of the Quest. Cut Rift S to $349 (preferable $299) and I think it's back in the ballgame (since Quest+Link will be $399 + $80).  If they don't and leave Rift S at $399, then it seems like they're setting the Rift platform up to fail, and will use it as an easy excuse to discontinue the Rift.

Or, perhaps since Oculus is back to pushing bleeding edge tech, maybe look into a wireless device for the Rift S.  A Wireless addon for $99-$149 for the Rift S would probably put the Rift S back as the best value goto PCVR device. Carmack stated he eventually wants to make the Quest Link a wireless device (maybe with Quest 2 ?), so perhaps do that initial product research on the Rift S.
i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
Sorry @ShocksVR - have learnt over the years not to try and read too much ahead of an actual OculusVR announcement. The old "counting your chickens" adage is prime here. Especially on price drops and release windows. Sounds more like wish-fulfillment than any actual proven evidence. Always nice to dream, and the Rift-S community needs to feel they are not forgotten I guess. Lets hope they get the hand tracking.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Zenbane said:

The freak-outs are still going strong today. I am pleasantly surprised to see it being so contained on this forum. Most people have taken their torches to reddit and the Facebook VR Groups. Lots of people getting on each other's Block List, lots of Threads getting deleted, etc. I've just been watching the fireworks and taking screenshots of the topics that make me chuckle.

Like this one:

jvwo62wkxvce.png

So... now everyone wants a "Quest Ready PC"

LMAO

I have no idea why people are getting so up-tight when an announcement of a great feature like Oculus Link is made! There are many reasons why PCVR will remain strong, for both Oculus and non-Oculus.

I mean talk of people buying 'Quest Ready laptops' is an example. They must realise, unless I'm missing something, that it's the exact same thing as a Rift Ready laptop. It'll have to do near enough the same work as it would for Rift when including compression needed before sending to Quest (jump in anyone who knows more about this).

And if they want to do that, great. That in itself means more Oculus PCVR games sold and likely developed, which, it seems to me, doesn't add up to less reason to get a Rift.

Well, like I said in another thread, Oculus Link will confuse some people, and give others an excuse to knock the Rift but only time will tell how this whole thing pans out. I just see no negatives at the moment.

inovator
Consultant
 Jo

jayhawk
Superstar
I was wondering what was taking the crybaby onslaught, but if it's all on Reddit and Faceplant, that would be why I haven't seen it. Those who bought the S are still getting exactly what they've come to expect and paid for. They're just mad because Faceplant didn't tell them about the link before they bought a Rift S. It has been 6 months 'n all. I don't use Ebay either. I'm guessing we are going to see a bunch of S's on there soon if not already.

It seems to be the people who haven't bought the S that are making the noise! I'm not seeing much complaining by Rift-S owners here because they're like me and know how good it is. That's why I don't understand why people are using the link as an excuseto knock it. It seems to go back to this thing about oculus not proding a high-end headset that they wanted... then they think this is a great opportunity to say 'look I told you so' or something.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
I am not sure this is  correct metric @DaftnDirect - the reality is that the early buyers that were not happy returned or sold their Rift-S' - those owners that were happy are not vocal, but that is usually the way. Those that decided against Rift-S can now underline their objections. We can not hide the fact that the system has proven to split opinions greatly, when we even see the ex-executives making critical critiques of the system. 

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

I'm just going by the people who have been vocal in this forum, I know a couple posters who've returned their Rift-S because of faults who've been vocal but not many that have been vocal after returning because they just didn't like it.

But there are definitely a lot of people being vocal who didn't buy it. I may be very wrong here (it wouldn't be the first time) but that's how it seems to be going through each post.