cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 Thread

I'm desperately trying to find out if there will be a VR mode so if anybody knows... that would be good!

https://youtu.be/ReDDgFfWlS4

*Edit: see the later posts in the thread for confirmation of VR support.

563 REPLIES 563

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Yes us life time simmers can look a bit strange at times but I do love my immersion 😉
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

sraura
Heroic Explorer
...in before Microsoft publishes "Air Crash Investigations simulator 1.0"

Techy111 said:

I just wonder if the customisation will be there like previous MSFS products or will they go down the really bad idea of high price DLC which did FSW in. My hope's are not. Will it be an open platform for addon freeware like FSX ? We shall have to wait and see.

I forgot about FSW. I never looked into that as I already had a pretty bad taste in my mouth from Dovetail's train sim pricing model for DLC, plus I had P3D at that point.

I enjoyed Microsoft's Flight although a lot of people claimed the flight models were unrealistic. I'm not sure about whether that's true, or if it was, whether that was down to the program's capabilities or the individual aircraft models. But then I tend to find low frame rates contribute more to unrealistic flight than anything else, which Flight had dealt with as it was MS's first sim with proper 64bit code and much better use of multithreaded CPUs.

The DLC was very slow in coming though and the aircraft DLC was useless. Unbelievably only the 'Deluxe' aircraft had interior cockpits! But yeah I think they were keeping DLC in-house so that was probably a big contribution to the problem.

Some statements added to Microsoft's website...

'On behalf of the entire Microsoft Flight Simulator team, we humbly and deeply express our gratitude for such an overwhelmingly positive response to our announce trailer! We recognize that without people like you, we don’t get to make experiences like this that span more than 35 years and maintain such a passionate following. Thank you for being patient enough to weather the turbulence caused by some of our previous missteps. Thank you for being willing to look to the possibilities of the future while asking us to be accountable for the past. We hear you, we value you, we want to make the next generation of Microsoft Flight Simulator for you, with you.

1. We are making Microsoft Flight Simulator. Emphasis on the word SIMULATOR.
  2. Designed for PC, optimized for multiplatform support (e.g. Xbox).
  3. Yes. We are supporting 3rd Party Content Development and Community Content creation. We are aware of the concerns in the current eco-system and are working to address them.
  4. Yes. We genuinely want to work closely with the community in the development of this title.
  5. Accessibility is important to us. Whatever your abilities are, if you want to fly, we are going to do whatever we can to make that happen. Yoke and pedals, mouse and keyboard, controller, etc. No pilot should be left behind.'
So good news on learning the lessons from Flight and about 3rd party involvement. Just hoping to hear something about VR inclusion.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Cheers DnD some interesting reading.
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Just a little update to say I've joined the Insider Program so if I get to preview this and find out what VR capabilities it has (if any), I'll let you know. I'll be making plenty of comments about providing VR support though, if it isn't there.

Anyone wanting join the program can do so here (not sure when the deadline is though):

https://fsi.microsoftstudios.com/insider-program-faq

msm903
Protege

My coworker shared this video with me. Interesting... he poster did ask the devs about VR, it was no at launch. 25 mins and 8 seconds into the video

https://youtu.be/Fj8h6yibHHc?t=1508

Anonymous
Not applicable
Bummer...

lensmandave
Superstar
Crackers 😞
Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB - Nvidia RTX 3080 ti - 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

Thanks for posting that @msm106 amazing video and a lot of information, I think I need to subscribe to frooglesim!

Not surprising 'no VR at launch' is the line they're taking, but like he said, hopefully it'll come. It seems such a great improvement over current civilian simulation that I can't stop being excited about this regardless.

Worse case is I have to consider getting triple monitor and a PC upgrade to compensate for no VR.