cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did Oculus just standardize 5-finger tracking and make hand-controllers obsolete??

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
One of my favorite announcements from Facebook and Oculus today is the new controller-free hand tracking.

This is quite amazing since it gives us 5-finger tracking while removing any bulky controllers from our hands entirely, thus allowing us to use our mouse, keyboard, and interact with any other real world objects while keeping our hands and fingers tracked. An added bonus is the way this works seamlessly with Passthrough technology; and of course the future we will see with Facebook's vision for Augmented Reality and Mixed Reality.

The only downside (aside from perfecting tracking accuracy) is the lack of haptic feedback. However, I never cared for haptic feedback at all (it adds battery drain and doesn't accurately reflect what happens in the real world!) so it's a worthy sacrifice considering the huge benefits and possibilities.

And this technology is going to be open-sourced. So... is this the new universal path forward?
53 REPLIES 53

YoLolo69
Trustee

Zenbane said:

Satirical meme on the topic that is floating around the Internet today,

8icp66guhpae.jpg

Those deepfakes photo montage scare me as hell as I barely see if those are real pictures of them!

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 10700K,  RTX 3070, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, Oculus Rift CV1

Anonymous
Not applicable
I wounder - if we could combine them in a way - still your hands would be in controllers - but we could remove the need for finger tracking from them and let the sensors/camera track them instead. This would make the controllers even cheaper to produce, less complex in design, and use less battery for them. The downside is you would need to always be in front of the cameras for it to track them - but not too many ppl use them in a way that requires them to work from behind anyways or not in front of them.

inovator
Consultant

Mradr said:

I wounder - if we could combine them in a way - still your hands would be in controllers - but we could remove the need for finger tracking from them and let the sensors/camera track them instead. This would make the controllers even cheaper to produce, less complex in design, and use less battery for them. The downside is you would need to always be in front of the cameras for it to track them - but not too many ppl use them in a way that requires them to work from behind anyways or not in front of them.

If you mean combine tracking and hands I believe they said it's difficult because one has to be switched off to use the other. Sorry I'm sure they explained it better.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Yup, maybe in a future iteration hands and controllers could be tracked together, but the current solution involves changing the camera exposure to track hands versus tracking controllers.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo