Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steam Hardware Survey - February 2024 results included

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

steamvr-2.jpg

Latest results:

dyko7ca98u34.jpg

These results are compared, at least for the Rift, to August when Rift peaked at 0.35 %. Since August 2018 Rift has decreased about 6 % (from 0.35 to 0.33). Vive also decreased.  

Compared to other HMDs we see from April to September (note that this image hasn't been updated to October yet):

bboc0nqusboe.jpg

When updated to October I'd expect:

Rift = 45 %
Vive = 42 %
WMR = 8 %
Vive Pro = 3 %
Rift DK2 = 1 %

Source: https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

BTW - some history:

April 2018:

Oculus Rift 0.20%
HTC Vive 0.18%
Windows Mixed Reality 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK2 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK1 0.00%
Unknown 0.00%

July 2018:

Oculus Rift 0.32%
HTC Vive 0.31%
Windows Mixed Reality 0.05%
HTC Vive Pro 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK2 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK1 0.00%

I guess it's more or less a stand still since July for Rift and the original Vive... I don't think the Odyssey+ has had any impact on the WMR results above, the Odyssey+ is much too new - if it'll have any impact, it won't be before the Steam Hardware Survey November 2018 results. 

SteamVR_feature.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

550 REPLIES 550

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
@RuneSR2 Do you think that Valve is selling close to as many Index units as Rift S?  My wild guess would be that the Rift S sells at least 10x more units than the Index (and probably HP Reverb combined).

As this is a Valve survey it's kinda interesting that they have not made a separate Index category for it.  Maybe just because it is too early to show #'s? 

@OmegaM4N Vive #'s will be up next week when I get my new Vive Cosmos, lol!
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

TomCgcmfc said:

@RuneSR2 Do you think that Valve is selling close to as many Index units as Rift S?  My wild guess would be that the Rift S sells at least 10x more units than the Index (and probably HP Reverb combined).

As this is a Valve survey it's kinda interesting that they have not made a separate Index category for it.  Maybe just because it is too early to show #'s? 

I'd assume that Oculus are selling many more Rift-S hmds compared to sold Indices. Maybe not 10:1, compared to statistics and Index Kit being on page 1 concerning most sold items on Steam for weeks, something like 3:1 or 2:1 would be my guess. Valve has provided numbers for Index market share, kinda strange they still use the "Unknown" category - maybe they don't want to expose all numbers, lol. But since they can separate Rift-S from Index when it comes to market share, it's hard to understand why they can't reveal the hidden content of the "Unknown" category. 

Interesting to see if Cosmos makes an entry next month - and maybe then Reverb can do some good for the WMR numbers!

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

TomCgcmfc said:

Oh now that is nice, can't wait for your hands on review.......i was looking at the Cosmos and i might have bought one if i had had at least the Vive basestations, but as i have them now i will look at this HMD in say a year or two and see how it is faring with that external tracking faceplate they have coming for it.
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
o0mwjm2ioudw.png
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Results from October 2019 - might not be as bad as they look:

juhb2at16dli.jpg

September 2019 1.04% of Steam users had PCVR hmds attached to their rigs, but October revealed a reduction to 1.03% This may be because Windows Mixed Reality had Reverb included in "Unknown" hmd category last month... So it's only a 0.01% reduction, but in spite of the new HMDs or Asgard's Wrath, we can't see any increased adoption of PCVR. Maybe all were playing Asgard's Wrath and failed to participate in the poll, lol? 

ub9d0uiz95mu.jpg 
Not much happened here - Rift-S gained 1%, Index is still 5%. 

Then again, maybe many aren't buying PCVR hmds this close to Black Friday and so close to Oculus Link... Maybe some got rid of PCVR and bought a Quest...

I think Quest is affecting the figures, Link, for sure, is causing some people to wait and see how that performs before deciding on getting a PCVR dedicated headset. Some people may just want to spend money on a single headset and have decided stand-alone is good enough to satisfy their VR needs, at least until they decide they want a little more.

Edit: Index has been showing as being in the top 5 selling items on Steam since launch, usually 2nd or 3rd but that doesn't seem to be reflected in the hardware survey unless I'm misinterpreting something. Is the top-selling list... erm... aspirational?

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

I think Quest is affecting the figures, Link, for sure, is causing some people to wait and see how that performs before deciding on getting a PCVR dedicated headset. Some people may just want to spend money on a single headset and have decided stand-alone is good enough to satisfy their VR needs, at least until they decide they want a little more.

Edit: Index has been showing as being in the top 5 selling items on Steam since launch, usually 2nd or 3rd but that doesn't seem to be reflected in the hardware survey unless I'm misinterpreting something. Is the top-selling list... erm... aspirational?

It's also moving down - today from Blue's News:

Steam Top 10

[Nov 03, 2019, 11:45 am ET]

The new list of last week's bestselling titles on Steam for last week includes exactly two game releases from this year:

1. Grand Theft Auto V
  2. Football Manager 2020
  3. MONSTER HUNTER: WORLD
  4. Destiny 2: Forsaken
  5. PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS
  6. Monster Hunter World: Iceborne Digital Deluxe
  7. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Game of the Year Edition
  8. Monster Hunter World: Iceborne
  9. Valve Index VR Kit
  10. Destiny 2: Shadowkeep Digital Deluxe Edition

Some dude explained that these lists are generated from sales in $ - so one Index Kit ($1000) may be equal to one $60 game being sold 17 times. But seems Index is selling less now, supporting trends in the Hardware Survey. 

I hadn't thought about the value thing being used in the calculations. If true, that would explain it... although it would make it difficult for any free games to appear anywhere on the list.

Maybe that multiplier is only used for hardware, in which case, as Steam hardware is the only hardware on Steam...  there's been a bit of tinkering involved in how the list is set up and it's being used as an advertising space imho.

ShocksVR
Superstar

The percentages are market share (on STEAM). So even if Index is selling well on STEAM, as long as the Rift and other headsets sell just as well or better, then Index doesn't gain market share.

[September 2019 1.04% of Steam users had PCVR hmds attached to their
rigs, but October revealed a reduction to 1.03% This may be because
Windows Mixed Reality had Reverb included in "Unknown" hmd category last
month... So it's only a 0.01% reduction, but in spite of the new HMDs
or Asgard's Wrath, we can't see any increased adoption of PCVR. Maybe
all were playing Asgard's Wrath and failed to participate in the poll,
lol? 
Well these are random polls with Margin of Error. Estimates really, of course the numbers will fluctuate from month to month

i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

ShocksVR said:

The percentages are market share (on STEAM). So even if Index is selling well on STEAM, as long as the Rift and other headsets sell just as well or better, then Index doesn't gain market share.

[September 2019 1.04% of Steam users had PCVR hmds attached to their
rigs, but October revealed a reduction to 1.03% This may be because
Windows Mixed Reality had Reverb included in "Unknown" hmd category last
month... So it's only a 0.01% reduction, but in spite of the new HMDs
or Asgard's Wrath, we can't see any increased adoption of PCVR. Maybe
all were playing Asgard's Wrath and failed to participate in the poll,
lol? 
Well these are random polls with Margin of Error. Estimates really, of course the numbers will fluctuate from month to month

Agreed - but seeing a standstill or very small steps forward (or backward) isn't what I hoped to see in Autumn 2019. I'd hope to see numbers close to 1.2% with Rift-S and Index selling like hotcakes, unfortunately it seems like reality may be different. 
Cosmos at 0.00% doesn't seem like any kind of a big splash... for now.