cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest / Go / Gear VR Build 9.0 Release Notes

ShowbizDonkey
Retired Support
Passthrough+
  • We’ve upgraded the previous version of Passthrough on Quest to Passthrough+.
  • This updated version of Passthrough improves the representation of the real world around you by enhancing estimations of the depth, size and distance of objects in your real world environment.

Tracking
  • We know that many Quest owners use their headset to watch their favorite streams, shows, movies and more. To make this easier, you now have the option to turn off Quest's standard inside-out tracking when you don't need it, like for watching movies in the dark or dimly-lit rooms.
  • Tracking adjustments can be made in one of two ways:
    • If tracking is unable to function in your environment, an error message will provide an option to continue without tracking.
    • You can also manually turn off tracking by selecting Settings > Device > Tracking and switch the toggle to turn tracking off.
  • Remember that Guardian boundaries—and some apps—require tracking. Neither will work if tracking is off. To help avoid injury or damage, you should only use your Quest in a stationary standing or seated position when tracking is turned off.

Compatible Go/Gear VR apps for Quest
  • If you own one of 50+ compatible Oculus Go or Gear VR apps, you’ll now have the opportunity to download them from your library and play them on your Oculus Quest.
  • Learn more about how this program works and what apps are available for Quest.

Notifications
  • You can now adjust and customize your notification preferences from in-VR.
    • To access your notification settings in-VR, select Settings > Notifications and adjust the toggles to reflect your settings preferences for each notification type.

Manual Updates
  • You can now manually start an over the air (OTA) software update from your settings panel in-VR. This feature allows you to check for and begin software updates at any time once the update is made available for your headset.
    • To check for updates, select Settings > About > Software Update.

Remote Wipe
  • You can now perform a remote wipe from https://www.oculus.com on a Quest headset you no longer have direct access to.
    • Learn more about how to remote wipe on an Oculus Quest.

New Experiments

This section includes new features we’re testing for future releases. You can opt-in to experimental features by selecting Settings > Experiments in-VR. Please note, the experiments section includes features that are still being developed, and so you may encounter anything from minor-issues to app-crashes.

• We’ve added People You May Know suggestions to your Quest in-VR feed. People You May Know is a feature designed to help you connect with people you may know who are also using Oculus.
    • These are the same suggestions you may have seen in the Oculus mobile and desktop apps, now available as part of the in-VR experience.
  • On Quest, you can now see when your friends beat your high score in games like Beat Saber. You’ll be able to see these updates in the Oculus mobile app, as well as in-VR.

Payments
Miscellaneous
  • Performance improvements when running some applications
103 REPLIES 103

cercata
Expert Protege

i got the verson 9.0 but did not get manual update on my oculus go 

Me neither, on Quest, may it's from the Phone ?

Vinoh
Adventurer

nalex66 said:

Was hoping I’d have it this morning, but nohing yet. By the way, although the updates do roll out in waves over a few days, I don’t think it has ever been confirmed to be region-based. It may well be totally random. 

Is it possible it's based on S/N which would be related to purchase date? I got my Quest very recently and have not gotten the update yet.

lattoo01
Honored Guest
How can I get the update because it hasn’t automatically updated yet?

Im also from the United States, should it be here by now?

PhenixS1970
Protege
As the song goes....”All you can doooo is sit and wait” 🙂

haloharry97
Protege
Am in the UK, am still waiting for the update.

JohanTEAswe
Expert Protege
I just got it!
#Europe #Sweden
Version: 9.0.0.168.450.174044450
Körningsversion: 9.0.0.170.450.174321109
OS-version: user-377480.16500.0

Edit:
After doing the Beat Saber test I have both good and bad news. Beat Saber seems to perform better with 9.0, the framedrops are gone and Beat Saber is butter smoooth!
But! and this is a big but, the freezes are still horrible. The game freeze for 0.3-0.5 seconds sometimes and I assume it is when the Quest is performing either disk or wifi activities. So make sure all songs have loaded and no installations are running before playing. The same freezes happens in the Quest home app sometimes as well so there is still a lot of room for improvement from Oculus side.
Now go follow @Split82 on twitter and thank him and Beat Saber for pushing Oculus to the limits!  🙂

Edit 2: @BeatSaber just confirmed that the Panic at the Disco music pack is coming tomorrow, friday. *whoop!*

Edit 3: Ok, I might have been a bit hard on Oculus. After using version 9.0 for an hour or so I forgive them ever releasing version 8.0. This version is awesome! As long as nothing is downloading in the background the Quest performs superb now. The controllers are even better than before and the passthrough is not nauseating anymore.
Oculus - you have done it! The Quest is ready for Chrismas 2019! 😉

haloharry97
Protege

JohanTEA said:

I just got it!
#Europe #Sweden
Version: 9.0.0.168.450.174044450
Körningsversion: 9.0.0.170.450.174321109
OS-version: user-377480.16500.0

After doing the Beat Saber test I have both good and bad news. Beat Saber seems to perform better with 9.0, the framedrops are gone and Beat Saber is butter smoooth!
But! and this is a big but, the freezes are still horrible. The game freeze for 0.3-0.5 seconds sometimes and I assume it is when the Quest is performing either disk or wifi activities. So make sure all songs have loaded and no installations are running before playing. The same freezes happens in the Quest home app sometimes as well so there is still a lot of room for improvement from Oculus side.
Now go follow @Split82 on twitter and thank him and Beat Saber for pushing Oculus to the limits!  

How long does it take for it to update?
Is it pure random or do you have to leave it for X amount of time.

That good news about BS.

But what the hell happend to the game. And quest
When the quest 1st come out the game was perfect, I had no problems.
I had no problems with the Oculus home but now with update 8

The home crashes, does not load the library sometimes

BS lags every now and then and the game does not load custom tracks every now and then.

JohanTEAswe
Expert Protege

JohanTEA said:

How long does it take for it to update?
Is it pure random or do you have to leave it for X amount of time.

I went for a 30 minute run and when I got back it had updated. So 10 minutes perhaps when it starts. There was no indication when I left it that it was about to update so it is hard to say.

haloharry97
Protege
This will be my 1st update for the unit.
Does it say when it has the update?
Is there any user part invold?
Or is it 100% automatic.

Thanks for the help/info.

JohanTEAswe
Expert Protege

This will be my 1st update for the unit.
Does it say when it has the update?
Is there any user part invold?
Or is it 100% automatic.

Thanks for the help/info.

It's 100% automatic and it will update by itself, but it seemed like the update download was triggered by me activating the device. So it might be good to activate the unit once in a while.