cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC VIVE Cosmos has launched - specs, reviews and impressions

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Moved this post from another thread - Cosmos deserves its own thread. And Cosmos is out - I kinda like the music, lol:

https://youtu.be/RmI8mLskRXs

https://youtu.be/5vkqM1hhs3A

$700 (includes free 12-month VIVEPORT Infinity membership,worth $99):

https://www.vive.com/us/product/cosmos/

So no phoneVR, but something much better:

Wireless Adapter
Untethered virtual reality is here. Remove cords from the equation. Move freely. Get powerful visual and audio transmission at 60GHz. Featuring Intel® WiGig technology. 
*Sold separately.
Thus untethered is still 90 Hz, but transmission is done at 60 GHz. 

And HTC did what Oculus failed to do - they've added support for external sensors too, this could be the most awesome tracking options ever made - this may also help HTC not getting a lot of criticism in case inside-out isn't working perfectly (like Rift-S in the beginning):

External Tracking Mod
Lighthouse tracking support. Combine the precision of Lighthouse tracking with the flexibility of VIVE Cosmos with this novel mod. Coming soon.
*External Tracking Mod sold separately.
*SteamVR™ compatible base stations and controllers sold separately.
Full specs:

w3q12x108wyk.jpg

Cosmos places itself between Rift-S and Index, probably a very smart move. You can upgrade the tracking to probably be better than Index, but you won't get the Index fov and refresh rates - and you won't get the Knuckles. 

Regarding the hardware Cosmos looks much better than Rift-S, but it's also nearly twice as expensive. And Oculus has a lot of exclusive content. Tracking and controllers may win greatly compared to Reverb, but of course Reverb still has the better res. 

Cosmos res is 33 % higher than Rift-S. And 6% higher than the Index. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

434 REPLIES 434

Wildt
Consultant
So the light sensitivity issue seems confirmed, but varying reports on controller battery life.
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Wildt said:

So the light sensitivity issue seems confirmed, but varying reports on controller battery life.

Yup, more below, btw Knuckles aren't long-lived like old Touch - Knuckles seem to last about 7-8 hours (but are rechargeable and cost no batteries), while old Touch worked like a month on one AA battery, lol - found this on Reddit:

"I've just used the Kirkland batteries from Costco, but I've only replaced them once since I've owned Touch (on release).

I would say I probably play around 5-7 hours every other week, so I get months out of set of batteries."

Compared to... 

In fact - tried old Touch some days ago and completed Vader 2. Touch had just been lying on the table for at least two weeks - and I still had full battery power, also after completing Vader 2, amazing. Been busy at work lately, I usually get like 1-2 hours in VR daily, still don't remember charging Knuckles more than about once weekly - but it may depend on the games you play. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

Anonymous
Not applicable
Makes you wonder why they suck so much battery. LED can't cost that much power - something with their wireless/refresh rates - like they're are on over drive mode? If it is a the light - wow - but it really seems like a software issue than a hardware one. Them getting warm really does sound like a over drive issue with it working a bit too hard than needed. Hopefully they can get the battery usage down. Hmm most of the reviews are mix values so far. Some say if you can over look some of the current issues - its really not that bad. Until the problems are semi fix - I think I am again going to pass for now. 

Though - 3-4 hrs doesn't sound too bad as that is about the amount of time I do play in VR before needing to get out. Just need to make sure to charge the batteries afterwords. Still, day and night difference over Touch that I would charge maybe weekly or every other week.

Quest really set the bar high and the patches after that really made up for the tracking issues.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
https://youtu.be/31rGNXt_zek

ShocksVR
Superstar

Mradr said:

Makes you wonder why they suck so much battery. LED can't cost that much power - something with their wireless/refresh rates - like they're are on over drive mode? If it is a the light - wow - but it really seems like a software issue than a hardware one. Them getting warm really does sound like a over drive issue with it working a bit too hard than needed. Hopefully they can get the battery usage down. Hmm most of the reviews are mix values so far. Some say if you can over look some of the current issues - its really not that bad. Until the problems are semi fix - I think I am again going to pass for now. 

Though - 3-4 hrs doesn't sound too bad as that is about the amount of time I do play in VR before needing to get out. Just need to make sure to charge the batteries afterwords. Still, day and night difference over Touch that I would charge maybe weekly or every other week.

Quest really set the bar high and the patches after that really made up for the tracking issues.

Check out the pic on RoadToVR

i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

I'm in our US office at the moment - a Cosmos turned up today - i have it in the hotel room right now.

Nice picture - FOV appears no different to my Rift S to me.  The headset is front heavy, the clips holding the headphones on dig into the side of my head and the Touch controllers (LOL) are quite heavy.

Looks sexy though.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

nalex66
MVP
MVP
How’s the tracking in hotel room light levels?

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Anonymous
Not applicable

ShocksVR said:

Mradr said:

LED can't cost that much power - 

Check out the pic on RoadToVR

Well maybe someone was like "fuck it - full power!" then lol

nalex66 said:

How’s the tracking in hotel room light levels?

Well yesterday evening it was absolutely fine - blind open, some lights on.  Tested an hour ago and yeah, had some message saying environment not bright enough.  Now, it was saying nothing was tracking in the Vive Console.  I don't know if this was due to the light because i've only used it a couple of times.  Turned all lights on, opened the blind but still the same, turned on and off and it was fine.

If i were keeping this i would have to mod the clips holding the headphones on - so painful for me!

I did struggle to get this thing working on my laptop yesterday too.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Hiro, what are you laptop specs?  Thanks.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers