cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Rift S arrives tomorrow !

blanes
Rising Star
My second CV1 (1st replaced under warranty) has now developed the same issue with the left speaker not working, so yesterday I decided pretty much on impulse to buy a Rift S from the Amazon Australia store as it was Aussie $630 with free 2 days shipping which looked to be a good price. I only use VR for sim racing but I will certainly appreciate the increase in visual clarity and the added comfort of the new halo head-strap.  

I have done some research and watched a few Youtube vids, but most are quite old now and I still have a few questions about the Rift S that I could not find definitive answers for in the limited time I have between work and family.  In anticipation I am hoping you guys here, with lots of good knowledge, can fill in some gaps for me.

1. Should I uninstall my current Oculus software and then reinstall after swapping out the CV1 for the Rift S ?  Or is that all handled automatically, no chance of problems that may be avoided with a full fresh install ?

2. Has the issue where users were seeing white static or noise on their Rift S screen during games been solved or fully fixed yet ?

3.  Did the Rift S eventually get the update spoken about, to increase the range and bass levels on the inbuilt speakers ? Or are they still the same with no improvement ?  I have a pair of Hyper X Cloud 2's which a user on Reddit says fit comfortably over the Rift S, so I can use them if needed.

4. Can I or will I ever be able to use the CV1 sensors, so that I can race at night ?  If not, would a small LED light near my monitor screen be enough for a seated driving experience in a mostly dark room ?  Have others encountered similar scenario and have a solution short of turning on a ceiling light ?

5. Regarding the cloth and foam covering around face and head of the Rift S,  would it be ok to use Scotchguard to treat those areas and waterproof them ?  Scotchguard works really well on carpet and fabrics to seal and protect them making them easy to clean with a damp cloth.  I am guessing the VRcovers for the CV1 do not fit Rift S in any possible way ? 
www.scotchgard.com/3M/en_US/scotchgard/products/all-products/~/Scotchgard-Fabric-Upholstery-Protecto...

6.  If I have issues do I still go through Oculus support or do I now have to deal directly with Amazon Australia ?

Thanks for any answers and I appreciate any other advice about problems or issues I should anticipate or plan for that may keep the new install as easy as possible.
Thanks & Cheers ? Mark Blanes

13 REPLIES 13

blanes
Rising Star
So it arrived and when it works it looks fantastic, much better than I expected.  However I am having trouble with it staying connected as after every reboot or if left alone for awhile I get a message that there is no displayport connection and Oculus needs to Restart.  

I have tried each of the 3 displayports on my Gigabyte 1080 and different usb 3.0 ports.  I can get the Rift S working by removing device in Oculus software but then I have to go through the whole install again.  Pretty frustrating so is this faulty or a known error that occurs ?  Any help appreciated.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Make sure you have power management for your USB devices disabled.

blanes
Rising Star
It is already disabled but thanks for suggesting.  If I reboot the pc it remains disconnected. Only way to get it recognised is to keep shuffling back and forth between few usb 3.0 ports I have then it wotks until next time my pc is turned off & on again.

It is like the oculus software forgets those ports actually work ok. Anyone else got any ideas ?  Otherwis I really like the Rift S,  even the sound is great once I reinstalled and activated my Razer 7.1 surround software which works perfectly and boosts it nicely.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
I found that the best way to get my Rift S running was to first of all install nvidia 430.86 (= first one made for Rift S).  I used DDU to do a clean uninstall.  Then, run a Repair and go though the Rift S setup again.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers