cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC VIVE Cosmos has launched - specs, reviews and impressions

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Moved this post from another thread - Cosmos deserves its own thread. And Cosmos is out - I kinda like the music, lol:

https://youtu.be/RmI8mLskRXs

https://youtu.be/5vkqM1hhs3A

$700 (includes free 12-month VIVEPORT Infinity membership,worth $99):

https://www.vive.com/us/product/cosmos/

So no phoneVR, but something much better:

Wireless Adapter
Untethered virtual reality is here. Remove cords from the equation. Move freely. Get powerful visual and audio transmission at 60GHz. Featuring Intel® WiGig technology. 
*Sold separately.
Thus untethered is still 90 Hz, but transmission is done at 60 GHz. 

And HTC did what Oculus failed to do - they've added support for external sensors too, this could be the most awesome tracking options ever made - this may also help HTC not getting a lot of criticism in case inside-out isn't working perfectly (like Rift-S in the beginning):

External Tracking Mod
Lighthouse tracking support. Combine the precision of Lighthouse tracking with the flexibility of VIVE Cosmos with this novel mod. Coming soon.
*External Tracking Mod sold separately.
*SteamVR™ compatible base stations and controllers sold separately.
Full specs:

w3q12x108wyk.jpg

Cosmos places itself between Rift-S and Index, probably a very smart move. You can upgrade the tracking to probably be better than Index, but you won't get the Index fov and refresh rates - and you won't get the Knuckles. 

Regarding the hardware Cosmos looks much better than Rift-S, but it's also nearly twice as expensive. And Oculus has a lot of exclusive content. Tracking and controllers may win greatly compared to Reverb, but of course Reverb still has the better res. 

Cosmos res is 33 % higher than Rift-S. And 6% higher than the Index. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

434 REPLIES 434

I'm using a work laptop - Xeon processor, Quadro P5000, 32GB RAM.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Does that laptop play well with your Rift cv1 or Rift S?  Thanks.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

TomCgcmfc said:

Does that laptop play well with your Rift cv1 or Rift S?  Thanks.

I've only done work with it, no games.  I've used Samsung Odyssey + and Rift S with it yes.

All i did with the Cosmos is play with Viveport, the tutorial, my own software (worked ok except movement because we haven't developed for the Cosmos) and an electrical substation training app from Viveport (again, movement didn't work).

It all worked fine in good light, no problems.

We also used it with a smaller Lenovo Thinkpad P52 - i9 8950 and P3200, 32GB RAM - works fine using mini DP socket.

Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Hiro, thanks for all that mate.  My cosmos is on it's way and scheduled to be delivered this Tuesday.  I hope I find my headstrap/headphones more comfortable than you.  I also hope that Vive have sorted out some new firmware by then, lol!

Reason I was asking about your laptop is that although I plan to install my Cosmos on my main gaming desktop, I may want to occasionally use my Alienware 17r4 laptop (i7 7700hq, gtx1060 6Gb, 32Gb ram).  It also has a mini-DP (connected to the gtx1060).  Thanks again.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

TomCgcmfc said:

Hiro, thanks for all that mate.  My cosmos is on it's way and scheduled to be delivered this Tuesday.  I hope I find my headstrap/headphones more comfortable than you.  I also hope that Vive have sorted out some new firmware by then, lol!

Reason I was asking about your laptop is that although I plan to install my Cosmos on my main gaming desktop, I may want to occasionally use my Alienware 17r4 laptop (i7 7700hq, gtx1060 6Gb, 32Gb ram).  It also has a mini-DP (connected to the gtx1060).  Thanks again.

Hopefully you'll enjoy the Cosmos - the display and sound should be awesome. Coming from the Index, GTX 1060 may be rather low though, you probably will have to reduce ss below 100 % res in some games, but let's see what you think. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

Anonymous
Not applicable
Mike's not too happy about his...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7Ev-FP8Cqg

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

RuneSR2 said:

TomCgcmfc said:

Hopefully you'll enjoy the Cosmos - the display and sound should be awesome. Coming from the Index, GTX 1060 may be rather low though, you probably will have to reduce ss below 100 % res in some games, but let's see what you think. 

Ya, my AW 17r4 laptop w/gtx1060 is even a bit week with a Rift cv1 so probably will be worse with the higher res Cosmos.  My laptop is now mainly for my home office and the odd bit of gaming.  My Gaming Desktop w/ i9 9900k @5Ghz and gtx1080ti are my main VR ride now (see my signature for details).

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Another young angry white dude with a Cosmos  B)

https://youtu.be/OcLIoRTJoLo

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think this counts as one of the worst launches for VR? I mean there was gamehead (that's not the name of it , but I can't recall what it was call) - but I dont think that dare to really release 😜

inovator
Consultant
Sounds more like a scam then a launch.  Omg the numerous issues are amazing.  I dont have any confidence that even when they improve the issues on this headset that it will ever hold a candle to the rift s. This is the worse review for a headset I ever heard bar none.