New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

HTC VIVE Cosmos has launched - specs, reviews and impressions

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,923 Valuable Player
    edited October 3
    Wildt said:
    So the light sensitivity issue seems confirmed, but varying reports on controller battery life.
    Yup, more below, btw Knuckles aren't long-lived like old Touch - Knuckles seem to last about 7-8 hours (but are rechargeable and cost no batteries), while old Touch worked like a month on one AA battery, lol - found this on Reddit:

"I've just used the Kirkland batteries from Costco, but I've only replaced them once since I've owned Touch (on release).

I would say I probably play around 5-7 hours every other week, so I get months out of set of batteries."

Compared to... 

In fact - tried old Touch some days ago and completed Vader 2. Touch had just been lying on the table for at least two weeks - and I still had full battery power, also after completing Vader 2, amazing. Been busy at work lately, I usually get like 1-2 hours in VR daily, still don't remember charging Knuckles more than about once weekly - but it may depend on the games you play. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,549 Valuable Player
    edited October 3
    Makes you wonder why they suck so much battery. LED can't cost that much power - something with their wireless/refresh rates - like they're are on over drive mode? If it is a the light - wow - but it really seems like a software issue than a hardware one. Them getting warm really does sound like a over drive issue with it working a bit too hard than needed. Hopefully they can get the battery usage down. Hmm most of the reviews are mix values so far. Some say if you can over look some of the current issues - its really not that bad. Until the problems are semi fix - I think I am again going to pass for now. 

Though - 3-4 hrs doesn't sound too bad as that is about the amount of time I do play in VR before needing to get out. Just need to make sure to charge the batteries afterwords. Still, day and night difference over Touch that I would charge maybe weekly or every other week.

Quest really set the bar high and the patches after that really made up for the tracking issues.
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• ShocksVRShocksVR Posts: 467
    Trinity
    edited October 3

Mradr said:
    Makes you wonder why they suck so much battery. LED can't cost that much power - something with their wireless/refresh rates - like they're are on over drive mode? If it is a the light - wow - but it really seems like a software issue than a hardware one. Them getting warm really does sound like a over drive issue with it working a bit too hard than needed. Hopefully they can get the battery usage down. Hmm most of the reviews are mix values so far. Some say if you can over look some of the current issues - its really not that bad. Until the problems are semi fix - I think I am again going to pass for now. 

Though - 3-4 hrs doesn't sound too bad as that is about the amount of time I do play in VR before needing to get out. Just need to make sure to charge the batteries afterwords. Still, day and night difference over Touch that I would charge maybe weekly or every other week.

Quest really set the bar high and the patches after that really made up for the tracking issues.

Check out the pic on RoadToVR

i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,821 Valuable Player
    I'm in our US office at the moment - a Cosmos turned up today - i have it in the hotel room right now.

Nice picture - FOV appears no different to my Rift S to me.  The headset is front heavy, the clips holding the headphones on dig into the side of my head and the Touch controllers (LOL) are quite heavy.

Looks sexy though.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,020 Volunteer Moderator
    How’s the tracking in hotel room light levels?
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
    ShocksVR said:

Mradr said:
    LED can't cost that much power - 

Check out the pic on RoadToVR

Well maybe someone was like "fuck it - full power!" then lol
    nalex66 said:
    How’s the tracking in hotel room light levels?

Well yesterday evening it was absolutely fine - blind open, some lights on.  Tested an hour ago and yeah, had some message saying environment not bright enough.  Now, it was saying nothing was tracking in the Vive Console.  I don't know if this was due to the light because i've only used it a couple of times.  Turned all lights on, opened the blind but still the same, turned on and off and it was fine.

If i were keeping this i would have to mod the clips holding the headphones on - so painful for me!

I did struggle to get this thing working on my laptop yesterday too.
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,504
    Project 2501
    Hiro, what are you laptop specs?  Thanks.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors. Vive Cosmos, currently work in progress.

I'm using a work laptop - Xeon processor, Quadro P5000, 32GB RAM.
    Project 2501
    Does that laptop play well with your Rift cv1 or Rift S?  Thanks.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors. Vive Cosmos, currently work in progress.

TomCgcmfc said:
    Does that laptop play well with your Rift cv1 or Rift S?  Thanks.

I've only done work with it, no games.  I've used Samsung Odyssey + and Rift S with it yes.

All i did with the Cosmos is play with Viveport, the tutorial, my own software (worked ok except movement because we haven't developed for the Cosmos) and an electrical substation training app from Viveport (again, movement didn't work).

It all worked fine in good light, no problems.

We also used it with a smaller Lenovo Thinkpad P52 - i9 8950 and P3200, 32GB RAM - works fine using mini DP socket.

Project 2501
    Hiro, thanks for all that mate.  My cosmos is on it's way and scheduled to be delivered this Tuesday.  I hope I find my headstrap/headphones more comfortable than you.  I also hope that Vive have sorted out some new firmware by then, lol!

Reason I was asking about your laptop is that although I plan to install my Cosmos on my main gaming desktop, I may want to occasionally use my Alienware 17r4 laptop (i7 7700hq, gtx1060 6Gb, 32Gb ram).  It also has a mini-DP (connected to the gtx1060).  Thanks again.

TomCgcmfc said:
    Hiro, thanks for all that mate.  My cosmos is on it's way and scheduled to be delivered this Tuesday.  I hope I find my headstrap/headphones more comfortable than you.  I also hope that Vive have sorted out some new firmware by then, lol!

Reason I was asking about your laptop is that although I plan to install my Cosmos on my main gaming desktop, I may want to occasionally use my Alienware 17r4 laptop (i7 7700hq, gtx1060 6Gb, 32Gb ram).  It also has a mini-DP (connected to the gtx1060).  Thanks again.
    Hopefully you'll enjoy the Cosmos - the display and sound should be awesome. Coming from the Index, GTX 1060 may be rather low though, you probably will have to reduce ss below 100 % res in some games, but let's see what you think. 

• SpuzzumSpuzzum Posts: 823
    3Jane
    Mike's not too happy about his...

Project 2501
    RuneSR2 said:
    TomCgcmfc said:

Hopefully you'll enjoy the Cosmos - the display and sound should be awesome. Coming from the Index, GTX 1060 may be rather low though, you probably will have to reduce ss below 100 % res in some games, but let's see what you think. 
    Ya, my AW 17r4 laptop w/gtx1060 is even a bit week with a Rift cv1 so probably will be worse with the higher res Cosmos.  My laptop is now mainly for my home office and the odd bit of gaming.  My Gaming Desktop w/ i9 9900k @5Ghz and gtx1080ti are my main VR ride now (see my signature for details).

edited October 5
    Another young angry white dude with a Cosmos  B)

edited October 5
    I think this counts as one of the worst launches for VR? I mean there was gamehead (that's not the name of it , but I can't recall what it was call) - but I dont think that dare to really release ;P
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 2,114 Valuable Player
    Sounds more like a scam then a launch.  Omg the numerous issues are amazing.  I dont have any confidence that even when they improve the issues on this headset that it will ever hold a candle to the rift s. This is the worse review for a headset I ever heard bar none.
    699.00 hardy ha ha ha ha ha I cant stop laughing ha ha ha ha 699 omg omg omg ha ha help I cant stop laughing 
    Yep the 2 videos above are correct - bulky, heavy controllers which aren't supported yet.  They should have waited until there was a good number of games supporting them.

They also mention something i didn't - i just thought it was my problem because i don't use Viveport or Steam - that Viveport is a nightmare, that "lens" thing kept popping up and i had no idea what to do!

Anyway, hopefully they stick with the Touch controllers and in fact i would like to see them bring one out for the Vive Pro - lets harmonise these controllers across the board!
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,690 Volunteer Moderator
    Sounds like there's a lot of tracking issues (from the videos, it needs very bright lighting and there's no sensor fusion of controller IMU and it takes a while to reacquire when controllers are lost).

Does anybody know how well the Vive Focus handled this? The Cosmos is the second HTC headset using camera inside-out tracking, the Focus had 2 cameras and ran on the same CPU as the Quest.

I haven't heard of any issues with it, but then again I haven't heard of anybody actually buying one (exclusive to china at the start didn't help). :)
    Yep the 2 videos above are correct - bulky, heavy controllers which aren't supported yet.  They should have waited until there was a good number of games supporting them.

They also mention something i didn't - i just thought it was my problem because i don't use Viveport or Steam - that Viveport is a nightmare, that "lens" thing kept popping up and i had no idea what to do!

Anyway, hopefully they stick with the Touch controllers and in fact i would like to see them bring one out for the Vive Pro - lets harmonise these controllers across the board!
    211g for one Cosmos controller with two AA batteries really isn't heavy - it's just 8% heavier than an Index controller or 28% heavier than old Touch (with one battery). So why all the fuzz about weight? My guess is that it must be about weight distribution. I could swear the Index controllers are much lighter than old Touch, but my scale says I'm wrong, lol. I think it's because you hold Touch, but you wear the Index controllers like gloves. Index controllers feel feather light, while I feel the Touch weight more in my fingers and the front of my hand. Index controllers are worn on the back of your hand, not necessarily providing any pressure on your fingers. Maybe Cosmos controllers concentrate too much weight on your fingers... 

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,771 Valuable Player
    edited October 5
    Oh well, that's saved me some money this year. I won't be purchasing anymore VR headsets until something better then what I've got comes along. I'm happy with HP Reverb and CV1 even though I dislike the Godrays in CV1. The rest are not very good VR headsets Imo. If I had to choose though it would be the Valve index, but the asking price is far too much for me. I was considering an Oculus Quest, but I'm not willing to mess about buying a HTC headstrap to make it comfortable for long term use.
    I'll probably just save for Playstation 5 and the next PS VR Headset, or see if Samsung has anything in the pipe line. I might get an Oculus Quest 2, but only if they change it to be more comfortable and it arrives anytime soon. Jezz what backward steps VR has taken in 3 years.
    RuneSR2 said:

211g for one Cosmos controller with two AA batteries really isn't heavy - it's just 8% heavier than an Index controller or 28% heavier than old Touch (with one battery). So why all the fuzz about weight? My guess is that it must be about weight distribution. I could swear the Index controllers are much lighter than old Touch, but my scale says I'm wrong, lol. I think it's because you hold Touch, but you wear the Index controllers like gloves. Index controllers feel feather light, while I feel the Touch weight more in my fingers and the front of my hand. Index controllers are worn on the back of your hand, not necessarily providing any pressure on your fingers. Maybe Cosmos controllers concentrate too much weight on your fingers... 

Not sure Rune.  I use Touch and the WMR controllers mostly these days and you've pointed out the Touch controllers are 28% less (not sure about the new ones) - that is a lot.

Also, maybe the extra bulk does something to your head?

2 hour+ gaming session - every bit of weight matters.

One of the guys in the videos above say the trigger is good.  That reminded me of my short time - i had "huge" problems - every time i selected something it didn't work, i clicked harder and it then worked.  
    edited October 5
    RuneSR2 said:

Not sure Rune.  I use Touch and the WMR controllers mostly these days and you've pointed out the Touch controllers are 28% less (not sure about the new ones) - that is a lot.

One of the guys in the videos above say the trigger is good.  That reminded me of my short time - i had "huge" problems - every time i selected something it didn't work, i clicked harder and it then worked.  
    Agreed - my point more being that no one complains about the weight of the Index controllers, but most reviewers seem to think that Cosmos controllers are way too heavy - although their weight is nearly the same as Index controllers. Cosmos controllers may make you more fit, lol ;)

edited October 5
    RuneSR2 said:
    RuneSR2 said:

Agreed - my point more being that no one complains about the weight of the Index controllers, but most reviewers seem to think that Cosmos controllers are way too heavy - although their weight is nearly the same as Index controllers. 

Ah yes, probably exactly what you said - weight distribution.  Same as the headsets - people are adding weight to the back to offset the front on some.  Yeah, not all about the weight but also how it is distributed.
    Some exec's need jail time for releasing that monstrosity 
    Project 2501
    I’m expecting my Comos early next week.  I’ll let you know how it compares to my Rift cv1 w:2 sensors soon!

inovator said:
    Some exec's need jail time for releasing that monstrosity 
    HTC has tons of experience when it comes to VR - I have confidence they'll be able to improve the tracking and of course the game compatibility.