cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forced to link facebook to Oculus or no more friends?

stereoman
Protege
What's the deal with forcing me to add a facebook account to Oculus just to add friends to my Oculus account, I don't even use facebook so why am I being forced all of a sudden?
50 REPLIES 50

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Where/how are you being “forced” to use Facebook to add friends? I don’t have a Facebook account, and I haven’t had any trouble sending or receiving friend requests.

As a test, I just opened the Oculus app on my iPad, went to the friends tab, searched for “stereoman” and sent you a friend request. At no point was I forced to do anything related to a Facebook account. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

LoneEcho
Expert Protege
You can accept friend requests in the app on desktop. However, when someone sends you a friend invite INSIDE VR/ Oculus home, it asks you to link FB accounts in order to be able to accept friend request. Annoying.

DuxCro said:

You can accept friend requests in the app on desktop. However, when someone sends you a friend invite INSIDE VR/ Oculus home, it asks you to link FB accounts in order to be able to accept friend request. Annoying.

That isn't what I'm getting. I've sent myself a friend request from my alter-ego to check.

In the Rift, I accept the request by opening the Social tab on Dash and clicking the tick, I don't use Facebook and haven't linked anything.

In the Quest it's the People tab, then Friends and Requests. You then see the same thing as the Rift and click on the tick. No linking is necessary.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I experience this same issue. When I try to accept a friend request while wearing the headset it gives me the option to accept or decline. If I hit accept, a window pops up giving me the option to link my Facebook account or cancel. If I hit cancel it takes me back to the accept or decline window. If I hit accept again, it brings the link your account window back up. DuxCro is right that one can get around this by accepting the request in the desktop but its a pain to have to take off your headset every time you accept a friend request.

TeraTork7
Honored Guest
Dudes, Oculus is now shoving Facebook down our throats.  This is exactly what the everyone was upset about when this creep bought Oculus. Now he has done exactly what everyone one feared. His goal is only to collect our personal data and sell it to the highest advertisers. If you'll read the fine print, he shares that he is starting to run adds in Oculus. So now you can login into Oculus and be sucked into the blackhole of pharmaceutical commercials for 30 seconds without a stinking thing you can do about it. I am leaving Oculus and I am getting a Vibe to be on Steam and I hope everyone else does the same. I hate this little creep who only puts profit over privacy and annoyance for users. For those of us who do not wish to be taken advantage of by this thieving little snake, and refuse to go to create a Facebook account, I will for the mean time be able to be invited by anyone who has a Facebook account and I can join their party, however I will never be able to see them online without an invite. This is unreal, this pure dictatorship. and goes against every thing about freedom. And I thought Apples was controlling, this weasel puts them to shame.  

Anonymous
Not applicable
So tell us what you really think...
😉

nalex66 said:

Where/how are you being “forced” to use Facebook to add friends? I don’t have a Facebook account, and I haven’t had any trouble sending or receiving friend requests.

As a test, I just opened the Oculus app on my iPad, went to the friends tab, searched for “stereoman” and sent you a friend request. At no point was I forced to do anything related to a Facebook account. 

So last year.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

RattyUK
Trustee
Sorry, where is all this facebook tat being 'forced' upon me?
Maybe if I was sociable?  Bah Humbug!!!
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have a separate FB account for family and a few frieds, but do not and will not link it to my Oculus account.
So far has not caused me any issues or cause for concern.
I use it for mainly playing games, so having access to Venues is not that big a deal for me, I don't need it.

I have Rift CV1, Rift S, and Quest. Now should the day ever come when Oculus makes one have to have a FB account linked, then I will move on to another brand for sure.