cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VR Laptop Suggestions?

enigma01
Trustee
So I am considering purchasing a VR capable laptop to use with my Quest and the new Quest Link when available. My gaming desktop PC is now nearly 4 years old and I like the portability of the Quest. I am thinking with a laptop the set up will still be fairly portable if I want to take the Quest and laptop over to friends and family. 

I am initially thinking of getting an Acer Predator Triton 500 with RTX 2070. But I’m sure I’ve read someone (and now can’t find it again!) that there is a certain spec set up of the Triton where the fans don’t idle to silent when not under load, which would bug me as I’d also use it for study/work etc. Has anyone heard of this? 

Any other suggestions please would be appreciated!
6 REPLIES 6

JoeManji08
Heroic Explorer
I can't speak to the Quest with Link, but I recently bought the MSI GE63 Raider to go with the Rift S (Amazon link below if you want to check it out).  I am very happy with it and would highly recommend.  I don't have any issue with the fans -- they are quiet when I'm just browsing and ramp up as required.  It has very good cooling for a laptop.  I have it sitting on a desk without a cooling pad, and I don't have any issues with it getting hot even under heavy VR use.  

Keep in mind with the Predator or any other thin design that the MaxQ 2070 is significantly underpowered compared to the standard laptop 2070.  If you can afford to have the computer about a cm thicker and a bit less battery life (you will probably be plugged into an outlet if you're gaming anyways), I recommend avoiding the MaxQ

https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GE63-Raider-RGB-052-i7-8750H/dp/B07MH2GGCT

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

enigma01 said:

So I am considering purchasing a VR capable laptop to use with my Quest and the new Quest Link when available. My gaming desktop PC is now nearly 4 years old and I like the portability of the Quest. I am thinking with a laptop the set up will still be fairly portable if I want to take the Quest and laptop over to friends and family. 

I am initially thinking of getting an Acer Predator Triton 500 with RTX 2070. But I’m sure I’ve read someone (and now can’t find it again!) that there is a certain spec set up of the Triton where the fans don’t idle to silent when not under load, which would bug me as I’d also use it for study/work etc. Has anyone heard of this? 

Any other suggestions please would be appreciated!

I would wait until the Quest link actually comes out (next month?) and see how it works and which pc specs work best.  Right now, no one can answer this yet imho.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

JoeManji08
Heroic Explorer
Despite my recommendation, I do agree with @TomCgcmfc.  Link may have completely different performance with the GPU options out there.  All I can say is that it works great for Rift S. (plus the feedback about fans/cooling)

enigma01
Trustee
Just thought I'd update my post to say that I did end up purchasing the Acer Triton 500, but with the RTX 2080 Max Q. So far it has been working great with Oculus Link, every game I have tried so far I have been able to run on max settings without any issues. 

JoeManji08
Heroic Explorer
2080 MaxQ, now that's a different story!  Based on some quick googling, that card is very close to the same performance as the laptop 2070 (non-MaxQ).  I'm also very happy with the MSI after a few month's use.  

How is the cooling and fan noise on the Predator?

enigma01
Trustee

How is the cooling and fan noise on the Predator?

The cooling seems to work very effectively, the fans completely idle when doing basic tasks which is what I wanted. 

When gaming the fans are noisy, but once you turn up your speakers (Usually I use external ones via Bluetooth when at home) or put on some headphones you can’t notice them. When using Oculus Link with the Quests speakers set to just 50% I can just about make out the fan noise in the background.

If you press the “Turbo” button the Triton (which is supposed to increase GPU performance by about 10%), it sounds like its going to take off. But again, turning up the volume or with headphones on you can’t notice it.