cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Original Oculus Rift Vs Samsung Odyssey Plus

m70b1jr
Honored Guest
Hey guys!
I came here to ask for some advice / opinion. 
I currently have a Samsung Odyssey Plus VR headset. I recently just got into VR and this is my first headset I've owned, however I have spent time using  my friends Rift S. 
Anyways, one of my other friends recently purchased an original Oculus Rift with 3 tracking stations, however he doesnt have enough room in his dorm to properly use it / setup the sensors. So I offered to possibly trade my headset + some money for his headset. Just wondering if this is a fair trade / worth it. I LOVE the oculus controllers, however from my understanding, the display on the Odyssey+ is much better compared to the Rift (higher res, deeper blacks, higher PPI, etc).
What's your opinion on this guys? 
11 REPLIES 11

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
A straight across trade would be a good deal for you imho.  If you have room (and enough usb bandwidth) you could use the 3rd sensor or just use 2 of them and keep one for a spare.  If you have used your friend's Rift S you will probably have already noticed that the Oculus VR system is much nicer to use than WMR. 

Imho the Rift cv1 will provide you a very good VR experience.  I'm very happy with my Rift cv1 w/2x sensors and I will never go back to the WMR VR system.  However, if you are happy with your O+ and WMR then just stick with that for now imho.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

ShocksVR
Superstar
Much better tracking
Much worse optics.

You're better off getting the Rift S
i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

m70b1jr
Honored Guest

ShocksVR said:

Much better tracking
Much worse optics.

You're better off getting the Rift S

Not trying to spend money, I bought my odyssey+ used for $140 (guy said he only used it once) 
My friend bought the rift used with the tracking stations for $200. 

If I had the money I'd be buying the rift S, trust me. 

m70b1jr
Honored Guest
Bumping this up, could use more opinions

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Best thing to do is to try your friend's Rift CV1 on your PC and see what you think imho.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

m70b1jr
Honored Guest

TomCgcmfc said:

Best thing to do is to try your friend's Rift CV1 on your PC and see what you think imho.

Probably will do that. My Main PC is a Ryzen 7 3700x, Vega 64 all on a custom waterloop.

My VR Rig (System that sits in my apartment's living room) is a i5-6600k and a RX 580, so not exactly powerful. Maybe switching to a headset with lower res displays will be easier to drive. 

I'll just ask my friend if we can swap headsets for a week or two. Only downside will be buying tons of USB Extensions for the base stations and headset (Plan on doing a roof mounted pulley system)

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Just use 2x sensors without extensions to begin with imho.

m70b1jr
Honored Guest
Just wanted to post an update 
Been trying out my friends CV1 while he's been trying out my odyssey. Seems like I'm definitely going to do the trade, the CV1 display is really bad compared to the Odyssey+'s, worse than I expected, but the lighter weight, software and improved tracking (I slayed all my high scores on beat saber) and controllers make the rift a choice for me considering I have the extra space for it.
I went ahead and ordered 10 foot USB extensions and a ceiling mounted pulley system along with 3d printed wall mounts to setup a sick VR experience 

PhoenixSpyder
Rising Star
FYI, I have both the CV1 and Odyssey + and still prefer the CV1. Haven't used the O+ in many months...its literally collecting dust. Presently, nothing can beat Oculus's ability to provide smooth gameplay with ASW...and the controllers are second to none.

i7 8700k; 5ghz (water cooled), Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, Corsair 270R case, EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Toshiba 3tB HD, Rift (dead), Rift S, Win 10 Pro 2004, Inateck KT4006 USB3.0