cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Playstation 5 vr patent will offer wireless and eye tracking. What do you think?

inovator
Consultant
41 REPLIES 41

inovator
Consultant
U could be right about that. I think though Playstation 5 will be announced this year. Will be out by Christmas or early 2020 then Playstation vr2 following that same year or announced for 2021.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

inovator said:

U could be right about that. I think though Playstation 5 will be announced this year. Will be out by Christmas or early 2020 then Playstation vr2 following that same year or announced for 2021.

The Sony CEO just wrote that PS5 will be out Holiday 2020 - I guess that's about 1 full year from today:

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2019/10/08/an-update-on-next-gen-playstation-5-launches-holiday-2020...

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
^^So that means we won't see the PS5VR headet until into 2021 no doubt after the consoles launch.......i can live with that.
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

OmegaM4N said:

^^So that means we won't see the PS5VR headet until into 2021 no doubt after the consoles launch.......i can live with that.

Yes, then the Index may have served its purpose long enough, maybe... And Sony will gain some more time possibly making a more high-res PSVR HMD more affordable and thereby relevant for PS5 users. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RuneSR2 said:

inovator said:

The Sony CEO just wrote that PS5 will be out Holiday 2020 - I guess that's about 1 full year from today:

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2019/10/08/an-update-on-next-gen-playstation-5-launches-holiday-2020...

We'll have Rift 2 by the time PSVR 2 comes out.

And Primarx 16k with a 420 degree FOV.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RuneSR2 said:

inovator said:

We'll have Rift 2 by the time PSVR 2 comes out.

And Primarx 16k with a 420 degree FOV.

420 degrees fov - awesome - so that's like a full circle, and then they add another 60 degrees, maybe the start of a spiral going up or down??!  😮

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

RuneSR2 said:

OmegaM4N said:

Yes, then the Index may have served its purpose long enough, maybe... And Sony will gain some more time possibly making a more high-res PSVR HMD more affordable and thereby relevant for PS5 users. 

As long as they have actual vr motion controllers this time, as i don't ever want to have to deal with the nightmare of old tech that never worked first time round being shoehorned into new VR tech and still not working.. lol
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
I am interested to speculate on what the momentum trail will be like for VR post Next-Gen console launch. We have seen Sony continue with its AAA PSVR content investment - but we also learned at E3 that things are slowing as they focus on PS5. While many speculate the PSVR2 will follow the recently revealed patent - that was more for a wireless upgrade of the PSVR than a major redevelopment. But time will tell, and most are looking at 2021.

I just wonder those that state that a Rift2 will be out by then? As its looking more and more like the focus of OculusVR will be on a Quest2 more than a Rift investment. So a wireless PSVR2 and a Quest2 would be very similar beasts - on plugging into a console the other....? I would be more willing to believe Microsoft being brought back into the fold with a Project Scarlett link to Quest2 by then., (depending on the sticking blocks being removed)

But fundamentally, its all about the games - and the reality has to be - what will we be looking forward to play on the PSVR2 in 2021?

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

logotomie
Expert Protege
I find it funny what people read into this patent. A lot of this stuff is about broadening the scope (it may or may not be wireless, it may use a mechanical arm connected to a chair to track position) This is all just babble. There are a few interesting core ideas though in the patent:
1. using images from different frames of the same camera to estimate movement
2. (and imho really cool) get CV1 like tracking without CV1 like setup nightmares and with potentially increased robustness against occlusion by using at least 4 cameras on different devices (hmd, controler, tv) to track the relative position of all other devices and fuse the result into one final result.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

kevinw729 said:

But fundamentally, its all about the games - and the reality has to be - what will we be looking forward to play on the PSVR2 in 2021?

Hmm, I've never played Astrobot 😉 Frankly, I'm not aware of titles I want to play on the PSVR2, but surely there will be some to catch my interest, when they're announced. 

After Asgard's Wrath and Stormland - and maybe Lone Echo 2 and Medal of Honor - my focus would be on Valve's 3 flagships, which I'm sure will arrive sometime, lol.