cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asgard's Wrath: the most awesome VR game ever? Reviews & impressions!

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Only 2 days left  ❤️ I think most of the screenshots below are from September 5, but I didn't notice them before today - click to enlarge a screenshot:

cxfbwgm3ddyb.jpgc97q5swddbfq.jpgy8p5jdvtc0m1.jpg5r7dyo2cghlt.jpg
shirm9aoyiv4.jpgi9pwayd5nd6l.jpglcnbwbs0qfcl.jpg39mg7kmetfq6.jpgfg07chbkj5em.jpg9wws5benescc.jpgcer3hs00q51u.jpgduuflf22i4qw.jpghag6rixer1d2.jpgs0bst7th4hx6.jpgp1rocpt70djs.jpgmpdmhrpvco3f.jpgkjl94fprnqe4.jpgmwtax7sumsm8.jpgum6zy5l9yjkb.jpgw0j8km6nqhpt.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

263 REPLIES 263

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Not available for download in the Oculus Store yet, things may not go that smoothly, let's see what happens later today. 

Edit: My mistake - it's first tomorrow (or midnight PST today)

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

ntwigbels
Expert Protege

RuneSR2 said:

Personally I'm not going to watch any of that - I dislike spoilers, the above screenshots are more than enough for me. Interesting if Paradise Decay can run the game though, he's normally using a GTX 1060. 

Yeah, same here 😉 One of the reasons I kept my Rift-S 

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary

From the RoadtoVR review.

my personal play time came to just under 17 hours. That’s a bit short of the advertised 30+

It's annoying when developers [in-general] inflate the playtime hours. Not sure who or what they base it on or why they feel it necessary but it's usually never accurate. I mean, 17-20 is still very good for the price they are asking and if there is replay value then even better.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Paradise Decay is ready in 1 minute, so the first YouTube impressions have launched - meaning the NDA is lifted. Still hoping for a release today, my internet connection is free, but slow, sigh... Paradise Deacy has the following rig:

☆ MY PC Specs:

☆ Oculus Rift S
☆ GeForce GTX 1060 (6GB)

☆ Windows 10, 64 bit

☆ Intel Core i7-3770

☆ 16.0GB Ram

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

my personal play time came to just under 17 hours. That’s a bit short of the advertised 30+

It's annoying when developers [in-general] inflate the playtime hours. Not sure who or what they base it on or why they feel it necessary but it's usually never accurate. I mean, 17-20 is still very good for the price they are asking and if there is replay value then even better.

I'm much slower than many other players, I usually take the time to enjoy the finer details in games - knowing that some artist spent a lot of time creating surfaces, textures, lighting etc. I'm sure I'll get at least 30 hours of gameplay when Scott can do it in 17 hours, lol. Also not sure if the Oculus timer is always correct, if he used that to measure play time.
To me the most important part is the rating - RoadToVR usually gives low ratings to some of the very best VR games, but not this time:

v19nl1vq9nm9.jpg
https://www.roadtovr.com/asgards-wrath-review/

That's very close to Lone Echo (see below) - also reviewed by Scott - but much has happened in 2 years, Scott may not have awarded Lone Echo the same score today:

iclu7r07laf4.jpg

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
UploadVR rated Asgard's Wrath a perfect 5/5 = 100%  😮

Asgard’s Wrath Review Verdict:
Asgard’s Wrath is not only a step forward for Sanzaru Games as a development studio, but also a fundamental advancement for VR games in general. It’s a captivating experience full of enchanting adventure from start to finish. When people buy a headset with the idea of visiting strange, beautiful, and rich new worlds full of exciting things they can only do in VR, this is the type of game they’re imagining. There are some small gripes here and there and it’s not perfect by any means, but it’s certainly the best VR game yet that I’ve played. After over 25 hours of questing through the realms of Norse mythology, all I can think about is the laundry list of things I’ve still yet to discover. Asgard’s Wrath is, from top to bottom, an extraordinary accomplishment.
Final Score: star star star star star 5/5 Stars | Fantastic
Source: https://uploadvr.com/asgards-wrath-review/
https://twitter.com/UploadVR/status/1181841962862690305

That's the looks of an Oculus PCVR flagship!  B) 

https://youtu.be/gLxKq2qdAO0

https://youtu.be/HWTqFldqRkU

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Some dude gave Asgard's Wrath a B, more here (rig specs were lower than recommended, seems like this is an underpowered review, lol):

B (Good): Games graded with a “B” are good, solid products. They are above average in many areas but have flaws here and there that diminish their overall experience. While not nearly legendary status, these games are without question still worth your time.

Approximate Time Played: 27 Hours

Platforms: Oculus Rift (VR, PC)

PC Specs:

-GPU: GeForce GTX 1070 Ti

-CPU: Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.4GHz

-RAM: 7.95 GB

-Oculus Rift
Publisher: Oculus Studios

Developer: Sanzaru Games

Release Date: October 10, 2019.

Copy: Provided by publisher

https://youtu.be/UXagpgqlSzo

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Of course nothing beats Beat Saber (Metascore 93), lol, but interesting if Asgard's Wrath can achieve a Metascore higher than Lone Echo (which got a Metascore of 89 and may be considered the current highest Metascore of any true VR game offering Touch/finger support and non-teleport locomotion). Asgard's Wrath will need at least 4 reviews accepted by Metacritic to get a Metascore - right now it's got 2 reviews: 

https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/asgards-wrath

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RuneSR2 said:

I'm much slower than many other players, I usually take the time to enjoy the finer details in games - knowing that some artist spent a lot of time creating surfaces, textures, lighting etc. I'm sure I'll get at least 30 hours of gameplay when Scott can do it in 17 hours, lol. Also not sure if the Oculus timer is always correct, if he used that to measure play time.
To me the most important part is the rating - RoadToVR usually gives low ratings to some of the very best VR games, but not this time:

v19nl1vq9nm9.jpg
https://www.roadtovr.com/asgards-wrath-review/

That's very close to Lone Echo (see below) - also reviewed by Scott - but much has happened in 2 years, Scott may not have awarded Lone Echo the same score today:

iclu7r07laf4.jpg

BTW, note that Scott Hayden from RoadToVR tested Asgard's Wrath using the Rift CV1 - that was a nice surprise! Now I won't feel so outdated using the good ol' oled screens, lol. Also based on the latest Steam Hardware Survey, for each Rift-S HMD there're 3 CV1s, so Rift CV1 is still - by far - the dominating Oculus PCVR HMD. 

From RoadToVR:

Asgard’s Wrath Details:

Developer: Sanzaru Games

Publisher: Oculus
Available On: Oculus Store (Rift)
Reviewed On: Rift CV1
Release Date: October 10th, 2019
Price: $40

MowTin
Expert Trustee
Somehow I didn't realize it was coming out tomorrow. Oh no, I don't have enough HD space. I only have 47GB left.

This will require a massive clean up. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2