New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Comments

• pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,576 Valuable Player
    edited April 9
    I posted about the wireless part a few weeks ago here -

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/668163#Comment_668163

Too early to say anything definitive but with the power of the next console tier it could be interesting. I've also said in the past that I think consoles would benefit the most from foveated rendering so I wouldn't be surprised if it's them that makes a breakthrough.
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 2,111 Valuable Player
    With Playstation vr already selling 4.5 million  this patent if it becomes  reality may push it to mainstream. 
    Possibly.

I personally don't care much about mainstream but I understand the importance of it for companies with money invested in it. Most of my favorite flatscreen games are indies. All of my favorite VR games so far were made by smaller indie studios as well except for Lone Echo. I just want the best experience possible.
    Your the exception if indie games are your favorite. In my case the only way you will have hunreds of people developing for a company that spends millions for that game will only be when mainstream vr arrives. A god of war type vr game built  from the ground up will happen often only then.
    edited April 9
    inovator said:
    Your the exception if indie games are your favorite. In my case the only way you will have hunreds of people developing for a company that spends millions for that game will only be when mainstream vr arrives. A god of war type vr game built  from the ground up will happen often only then.
    There are some exceptions, God of war being one of them, but most of the AAA games become too formulaic for my tastes. They see something that works and all of them just copy it ad nauseam until it's run into the ground. IE Dark Souls knock offs or looter shooters.  
    Indies take a lot more chances and usually make games they are passionate about and I end up appreciating that more. It's great when both sides come together like the Witcher Franchise. CD Projekt is an indie that got rich off making quality games but still maintained their independance.

Anyway, had a few too many brews, didn't mean to sidetrack on this lol. 

But yea, I'm looking forward to the next gen of VR. Quite excited to see what everyone shows up with. 
    The next few months will be very interesting.
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,756 Valuable Player
    I'm glad to see Sony continuing to invest in VR, especially if they're going to be making some real improvements to their tech.

That article about the patent had me chuckling at a couple points, however. The drawing of the person wearing the headset, for example.  (They couldn't spring for a real artist?)  And then this claim:  "could be the FIRST glasses-friendly VR headset ever.

Guess the article-writer wasn't aware of Rift-S.  Or heck, even Oculus Go comes with an optional spacer to make it glasses-friendly.  Funny how often other devices / platforms get credited with being the first at things that are already old news here in Oculus land. :tongue:
    It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
    edited April 9
    That article about the patent had me chuckling at a couple points, however. The drawing of the person wearing the headset, for example.  (They couldn't spring for a real artist?)  And then this claim:  "could be the FIRST glasses-friendly VR headset ever."
    Yea I've always wondered why Patents often have a very poor doodle for their illustrations. I'm guessing it's just cheaper to have an engineer or someone do it than hiring a drafter. Some companies do put a lot of effort in still. 

Also the 2nd claim is ridiculous and I had the same thoughts. Hell Samsung would have a good argument that the GearVR was a very glasses-friendly headset. 
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,835 Valuable Player
    edited April 9
    Credit where it's due. Sony and its partners have been kicking it large when it comes to the games. I mean look at this...

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    Sony even from other articles I read nailed the wireless of it even though it's only a console and may have eye tracking Even though it's only a console.
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 591
    Neo
    They don't really have to do that much, the PSVR is actually very good at what it does, so if they give the screen a bump in res, keep the same lenses because no godrays and sde is ok but now doubt a bump in res will only improve that, a for the love of god new motion controllers please, 9 year old tech invented to rival the Wii motion controlls is just not cutting it in VR today. lol
    But apart from that they don't really need to go insane tech wise, small bump here and there and keep it at a consumer friendly price.
  • jayhawkjayhawk Posts: 816
    3Jane
    pyroth309 said:
    inovator said:
    There are some exceptions, God of war being one of them, but most of the AAA games become too formulaic for my tastes. They see something that works and all of them just copy it ad nauseam until it's run into the ground.
    Everything is formulaic now, from all forms of entertainment to marketing etc. I like to joke and say a software program is just going to automatically make movies and music at some point. Just need to input a theme and the formula does the rest. It certainly feels that way now.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,900 Valuable Player
    "Playstation 5 vr patent will offer wireless and eye tracking. What do you think?"

Man, I was soooooooooo close pulling the trigger on Index  :s 

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,764 Valuable Player
    I will definitely be purchasing a PlayStation 5 and PS VR 2 headset without a shadow of a doubt.
    I have a psvr in my vr headset collection and for some games it's a blast. I'm buying the rift  and quest. Playstation 5 vr is a no Brainer for me.  I have lots of saving to do.
    Actually my last post was a joke - but, yes, PS5VR could be really interesting. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

RuneSR2 said:
    Actually my last post was a joke - but, yes, PS5VR could be really interesting. 
    I did take you seriously since what is in the psvr rumor mill is serious and very possible. 
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,811 Valuable Player
    We are all excited to see what the PSVR2 will look like, though I think holding your breath for this any time shy of 2021 would be a mistake.
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    U could be right about that. I think though Playstation 5 will be announced this year. Will be out by Christmas or early 2020 then Playstation vr2 following that same year or announced for 2021.
    inovator said:
    U could be right about that. I think though Playstation 5 will be announced this year. Will be out by Christmas or early 2020 then Playstation vr2 following that same year or announced for 2021.
    The Sony CEO just wrote that PS5 will be out Holiday 2020 - I guess that's about 1 full year from today:

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2019/10/08/an-update-on-next-gen-playstation-5-launches-holiday-2020/

Neo
    ^^So that means we won't see the PS5VR headet until into 2021 no doubt after the consoles launch.......i can live with that.
    OmegaM4N said:
    ^^So that means we won't see the PS5VR headet until into 2021 no doubt after the consoles launch.......i can live with that.
    Yes, then the Index may have served its purpose long enough, maybe... And Sony will gain some more time possibly making a more high-res PSVR HMD more affordable and thereby relevant for PS5 users. 

• Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,821 Valuable Player
    RuneSR2 said:
    inovator said:
    The Sony CEO just wrote that PS5 will be out Holiday 2020 - I guess that's about 1 full year from today:

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2019/10/08/an-update-on-next-gen-playstation-5-launches-holiday-2020/

We'll have Rift 2 by the time PSVR 2 comes out.

And Primarx 16k with a 420 degree FOV.
    RuneSR2 said:
    inovator said:

We'll have Rift 2 by the time PSVR 2 comes out.

And Primarx 16k with a 420 degree FOV.
    420 degrees fov - awesome - so that's like a full circle, and then they add another 60 degrees, maybe the start of a spiral going up or down??!  :o

Neo
    edited October 9
    RuneSR2 said:
    OmegaM4N said:
    Yes, then the Index may have served its purpose long enough, maybe... And Sony will gain some more time possibly making a more high-res PSVR HMD more affordable and thereby relevant for PS5 users. 
    As long as they have actual vr motion controllers this time, as i don't ever want to have to deal with the nightmare of old tech that never worked first time round being shoehorned into new VR tech and still not working.. lol
    I am interested to speculate on what the momentum trail will be like for VR post Next-Gen console launch. We have seen Sony continue with its AAA PSVR content investment - but we also learned at E3 that things are slowing as they focus on PS5. While many speculate the PSVR2 will follow the recently revealed patent - that was more for a wireless upgrade of the PSVR than a major redevelopment. But time will tell, and most are looking at 2021.

I just wonder those that state that a Rift2 will be out by then? As its looking more and more like the focus of OculusVR will be on a Quest2 more than a Rift investment. So a wireless PSVR2 and a Quest2 would be very similar beasts - on plugging into a console the other....? I would be more willing to believe Microsoft being brought back into the fold with a Project Scarlett link to Quest2 by then., (depending on the sticking blocks being removed)

But fundamentally, its all about the games - and the reality has to be - what will we be looking forward to play on the PSVR2 in 2021?

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • logotomielogotomie Posts: 81
    Hiro Protagonist
    I find it funny what people read into this patent. A lot of this stuff is about broadening the scope (it may or may not be wireless, it may use a mechanical arm connected to a chair to track position) This is all just babble. There are a few interesting core ideas though in the patent:
    1. using images from different frames of the same camera to estimate movement
    2. (and imho really cool) get CV1 like tracking without CV1 like setup nightmares and with potentially increased robustness against occlusion by using at least 4 cameras on different devices (hmd, controler, tv) to track the relative position of all other devices and fuse the result into one final result.
    kevinw729 said:
    But fundamentally, its all about the games - and the reality has to be - what will we be looking forward to play on the PSVR2 in 2021?
    Hmm, I've never played Astrobot ;) Frankly, I'm not aware of titles I want to play on the PSVR2, but surely there will be some to catch my interest, when they're announced. 

After Asgard's Wrath and Stormland - and maybe Lone Echo 2 and Medal of Honor - my focus would be on Valve's 3 flagships, which I'm sure will arrive sometime, lol. 

logotomie said:
    I find it funny what people read into this patent. 

What like this?
    https://nl.letsgodigital.org/uploads/2019/10/sony-ps5-vr-headset.pdf
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **