cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus link

RonEyal
Protege
I have now the oculus rift cv1 and I want to upgrade to the oculus quest because of the new link feature, my question is which cable should I use for it because I don’t have usb type c in my pc but I do have usb 3 so can I use a usb type c to usb 3 or I can’t use it at all and I don’t want the rift s because I love OLED screen
46 REPLIES 46

nalex66
MVP
MVP
For the current Quest it's a limitation of the SoC they're using. I believe that later SnapDragon models may be able to take a direct video feed. On the other hand, their current course of development may be very useful for future innovation. They've got the latency pretty low, and it sounds like Carmack believes that it can be further improved. Having their own high-efficiency encoding/streaming process may pave the way for high quality wireless PCVR, and could eliminate the issues with trying to get direct GPU feed out of many laptops.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

MrWaverly
Honored Guest
I have the Quest but no PC. Any recommendations on what 1080 gaming computer would be good to use the link with?

mtgear1223
Honored Guest
Hello Kranky_Pantz, Based on this message are you saying that I can or cannot use my Oculus Quest charger as a Link?

nalex66
MVP
MVP

Hello Kranky_Pantz, Based on this message are you saying that I can or cannot use my Oculus Quest charger as a Link?

That’s right, the charger cable is only USB 2.0, and won’t work for Oculus Link. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

vargablood
Expert Protege

Spuzzum said:
USB 2.0 has a maximum 480 megabits per second (480 Mb/s), while the Quest's internal chip is limited to only 150 megabits per second (150 Mb/s).

My Mac is reporting 5Gbit connection to quest if iam using hq thunderbolt 3 cabling. Even 150mbit or 15mb/s woulnt be enough for a compressed stream for both displays in my opinion.

teaston
Protege

nalex66 said:

That’s right, the charger cable is only USB 2.0, and won’t work for Oculus Link. 

Definitely, the charger cable barely even works with sidequest!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Spuzzum said:
USB 2.0 has a maximum 480 megabits per second (480 Mb/s), while the Quest's internal chip is limited to only 150 megabits per second (150 Mb/s).

My Mac is reporting 5Gbit connection to quest if iam using hq thunderbolt 3 cabling. Even 150mbit or 15mb/s woulnt be enough for a compressed stream for both displays in my opinion.

There's 8 bits to a byte, so 150 megabits (Mb) is only 18.75 megabytes (MB). A 4K video, 3840x2160 @ 60 fps from Netflix is only 128 megabits per second (Mb/s). The Quest is 2880x1600...slightly under 3K @ 2880x1620 @ 72 fps. On top of that, the image gets reduced to the Rift-S's resolution of only 2560x1440. There's more than enough room.

iNIKEL
Protege
First I wanted to buy Quest as my first VR but now.. I cant decide. Honestly I don't think oculus link will be that good. Probably it wont let playing games with small details like simulators, latency sensitive games and games with high quality graphics due to low bandwidth and extra amount of PC power used for video encoding and transferring and not everyone have 2080ti to render game in high res and then encode it..
So what’s the point of link?

teaston
Protege

iNIKEL said:

First I wanted to buy Quest as my first VR but now.. I cant decide. Honestly I don't think oculus link will be that good. Probably it wont let playing games with small details like simulators, latency sensitive games and games with high quality graphics due to low bandwidth and extra amount of PC power used for video encoding and transferring and not everyone have 2080ti to render game in high res and then encode it..
So what’s the point of link?

Streaming Steam VR games on Virtual Desktop over wifi works great for me, so USB 3 should be absolutely perfect!

iNIKEL
Protege
Did you try beat saber? Not the most important VR experience imho but PC version have custom tracks. And what GPU do you have?