cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optimal GPU for Quest today?

gamesky22
Honored Guest
I could not find much VR focused GPU benchmarks so I though I would ask:

WHAT IS THE CHEAPEST GPU, THAT WOULD RUN CURRENT VR GAMES (OR LETS SAY PROJECT CARS 2) TO THE FULL OCULUS QUEST CAPACITY (on very high graphics settings with 2880 x 1440 resolution and stable framerate 72hz) ?

I need to upgrade my PC for Oculus Link
27 REPLIES 27

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Oculus hasn’t released any details of minimum or recommended specs. For now, assume that it’s the same requirements as Rift. The frame rate is a bit lower, but there’s extra work to be done encoding the stream. 

If you’re looking at a current gen GPU, I’d say at least a GTX 1660. The AMD equivalent is probably cheaper, but I don’t know their video cards well enough to make a recommendation. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

BrotherO4
Protege
vega 56 which is sold at 250$ now is by far the best deal in the gpu market.

iNIKEL
Protege
My thoughts are that oculus link is going to work through single USB cable connected to PC, so you probably will need extra PC power to encode video before sending it to quest unlike just outputting to displayport for rift s. Am I right?

bigmike20vt
Visionary
if you want to play games like pCARS2 and get a decent experience a GTX980 / GTX 1070 / any turing card should be fine (sorry I do not know how AMD are with VR)

if however you want to run pCARS2 at full bubble in VR and not rely on ASW that is a totally different ball game.......  I would guess you are looking at a 1080ti or RTX 2080 for that.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

nalex66
MVP
MVP

iNIKEL said:

My thoughts are that oculus link is going to work through single USB cable connected to PC, so you probably will need extra PC power to encode video before sending it to quest unlike just outputting to displayport for rift s. Am I right?

Yes, the encoding will take some extra work, but that probably won’t drive the GPU requirement higher; it will most likely be the CPU that deals with it. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

iNIKEL
Protege

nalex66 said:

iNIKEL said:

Yes, the encoding will take some extra work, but that probably won’t drive the GPU requirement higher; it will most likely be the CPU that deals with it. 

nalex66 said:

iNIKEL said:

Depends whether Oculus will make decision to encode with GPU or CPU. Heard NVEnc is pretty good, but I hope they will make it as an option.

teaston
Protege

nalex66 said:

Oculus hasn’t released any details of minimum or recommended specs. For now, assume that it’s the same requirements as Rift. The frame rate is a bit lower, but there’s extra work to be done encoding the stream. 

If you’re looking at a current gen GPU, I’d say at least a GTX 1660. The AMD equivalent is probably cheaper, but I don’t know their video cards well enough to make a recommendation. 

Apparently AMD graphics cards are not good for Oculus games, so best to stick with Nvidia. 

m70b1jr
Honored Guest

teaston said:

nalex66 said:

Apparently AMD graphics cards are not good for Oculus games, so best to stick with Nvidia. 

Nvidia and intel are garbage, their the apple of tech componets. Get a used Vega 56, best deal on the market.

teaston
Protege

m70b1jr said:

teaston said:

nalex66 said:

Nvidia and intel are garbage, their the apple of tech componets. Get a used Vega 56, best deal on the market.

Well I’ve got an Nvidia gpu, and an iPhone, and I’m very happy with them!  😉