cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optimal GPU for Quest today?

gamesky22
Honored Guest
I could not find much VR focused GPU benchmarks so I though I would ask:

WHAT IS THE CHEAPEST GPU, THAT WOULD RUN CURRENT VR GAMES (OR LETS SAY PROJECT CARS 2) TO THE FULL OCULUS QUEST CAPACITY (on very high graphics settings with 2880 x 1440 resolution and stable framerate 72hz) ?

I need to upgrade my PC for Oculus Link
27 REPLIES 27

bigmike20vt
Visionary

m70b1jr said:

Nvidia and intel are garbage, their the apple of tech componets. Get a used Vega 56, best deal on the market.

given Oculus are oft compared to the Apple of the VR market it is interesting that you choose to support oculus then.

Nvidia love them or hate them make the best gaming gpus on the market today. this is an objective fact (sadly).  My hope is navi 20 will change this but I am not holding my breath.  I have heard all the positive spin from AMD before WRT their gpus but the reality is AMD do not even have a gpu to better a 1080ti at the moment and that is early 2017 nvidia.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Probably best to wait until the Quest Link actually comes out (next month?) and see what others find optimum pc hardware to support it.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

m70b1jr
Honored Guest

m70b1jr said:

Nvidia and intel are garbage, their the apple of tech componets. Get a used Vega 56, best deal on the market.

given Oculus are oft compared to the Apple of the VR market it is interesting that you choose to support oculus then.

Nvidia love them or hate them make the best gaming gpus on the market today. this is an objective fact (sadly).  My hope is navi 20 will change this but I am not holding my breath.  I have heard all the positive spin from AMD before WRT their gpus but the reality is AMD do not even have a gpu to better a 1080ti at the moment and that is early 2017 nvidia.

I dont own an oculus, I own a Samsung odyssey+

bigmike20vt
Visionary
AHH ok in which case you won't be experiencing oculus titles natively . Games which directly support oculus tend to run better on lower end hardware than when using a steamVR wrapper. (That said I don't have much experience of windows MR, the tracking did not do it for me) perhaps windows MR rubs better under steamVR than oculus does

.a nice apples to apples comparison of this is dirt rally 2. 
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

m70b1jr said:

Well not 100% true - but I do mostly agree. Current AMD cards can compete up to a 2080 for half the price. The problem is they don't support the new features such as RT or VRS that we need for VR. Granted, these are not added yet, mainly do to time and AMD not supporting it, getting a 20s card will grant you at least a few more years for when they do start supporting it. In the mean time, if you are looking for something like a cheap rig to start getting into VR - AMD does do a slight better job here in terms of latency that does result in a smoother game play along with less game breaking patches.  NV is still price really high - so unless you have a little extra money to spend - value to performance AMD still comes in. Granted, if you want the best of the best - then NV has your back though even if its only maybe 10 fps higher while costing another 20-25% more. 

AMD is behind - so while you are buying a AMD card that could meet up to a 2080 - remember it just release these cards and NV about to release new cards that beats that by Q1 of next year with AMD not releasing a new group until Q3-4. A bit of a leap frog - but the difference is that is AMD highest end card already on a new node. NV will be releasing their new cards on the same new node next meaning we should see some big performance gains or cost gains again.

Intel is now in the same boat with Ryzen 3s costing half of what Intel does for with in the same FPS in games and 10% in benchmarks. If you need that extra little bit then Intel is still the king - but over all - most people could get by now using Ryzen 3s and not even know the difference other than cost.

Over all - if you can wait - I say get the NV next line up of cards as it'll support all the new features and improve on the current ones by - well - a lot. On the other hand, if you want a PC now on a budget - get an AMD system. Sure you will need to upgrade the GPU next year - but least you will have something "now" to carry you over until then. If not on a budget, then get NV card instead or hybrid AMD cpu/NV Gpu for both a performance and cost saving feature. Over all - what is consider the "best" really just comes down to how big is your wallet 😛

vargablood
Expert Protege

if you want to play games like pCARS2 and get a decent experience a GTX980 / GTX 1070 / any turing card should be fine (sorry I do not know how AMD are with VR)

if however you want to run pCARS2 at full bubble in VR and not rely on ASW that is a totally different ball game.......  I would guess you are looking at a 1080ti or RTX 2080 for that.

GTX980 is not enough if youre in pc2, a 980 TI is ok. But for decent experience i recommend starting with a 1070.There where various VR improvements on pascal gpus. Best is to go with a minimum of 2060s or rx 5700. But my personal experience after 2 Years with cv1 is that nvidia is in most situations the better choice for AAA vr experience...

bigmike20vt
Visionary
Full bubble PCars2 is not gonna happen on a gtx 980 however pCARS 2 is more than playable on a gtx980 (I know as that was my GPU and I bought pCARS2 and played it)
All depends on budget but like I think I said above a gtx980 can be gotten for £100 2nd hand - I got an overclocked. to the balls one just last week for £105 delivered for my pinball)  a gtx 1070 is around £150 and a Vega 56 around £180

It all depends on how much people want to pay

So I agree ideally you would like pascal or newer but Maxwell can do it.

teaston
Protege
Pcars2 runs great on my 1080ti!  😉

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mradr said:

m70b1jr said:

Well not 100% true - but I do mostly agree. Current AMD cards can compete up to a 2080 for half the price. The problem is they don't support the new features such as RT or VRS that we need for VR. Granted, these are not added yet, mainly do to time and AMD not supporting it, getting a 20s card will grant you at least a few more years for when they do start supporting it. In the mean time, if you are looking for something like a cheap rig to start getting into VR - AMD does do a slight better job here in terms of latency that does result in a smoother game play along with less game breaking patches.  NV is still price really high - so unless you have a little extra money to spend - value to performance AMD still comes in. Granted, if you want the best of the best - then NV has your back though even if its only maybe 10 fps higher while costing another 20-25% more. 

AMD is behind - so while you are buying a AMD card that could meet up to a 2080 - remember it just release these cards and NV about to release new cards that beats that by Q1 of next year with AMD not releasing a new group until Q3-4. A bit of a leap frog - but the difference is that is AMD highest end card already on a new node. NV will be releasing their new cards on the same new node next meaning we should see some big performance gains or cost gains again.

Intel is now in the same boat with Ryzen 3s costing half of what Intel does for with in the same FPS in games and 10% in benchmarks. If you need that extra little bit then Intel is still the king - but over all - most people could get by now using Ryzen 3s and not even know the difference other than cost.

Over all - if you can wait - I say get the NV next line up of cards as it'll support all the new features and improve on the current ones by - well - a lot. On the other hand, if you want a PC now on a budget - get an AMD system. Sure you will need to upgrade the GPU next year - but least you will have something "now" to carry you over until then. If not on a budget, then get NV card instead or hybrid AMD cpu/NV Gpu for both a performance and cost saving feature. Over all - what is consider the "best" really just comes down to how big is your wallet 😛

AMD's working on their own ray tracing and variable rate shading for foveated rendering. Word is, Navi cards will have ray tracing by December...the drivers have had the code since July, and they're currently working on the variable rate shading.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Spuzzum said:

AMD's working on their own ray tracing and variable rate shading for foveated rendering. Word is, Navi cards will have ray tracing by December...the drivers have had the code since July, and they're currently working on the variable rate shading.

Hmm, I  remember it coming to consoles by December (as it is hardware base), no word that it be coming to current cards this year though. I could be wrong. It just sounds like their line of cards (Q3 of next year) will have it. Note that RT it self can happen in software - when we talk about RT - we usually mean in a hardware though to get the most bang out of it.