cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beat Saber Quest Leaderboard Cheating

Crazy_Sane
Superstar
After months of exhausting practice, I've come to realise that some people are cheating the Beat Saber leaderboards on the Quest. Now before you make the assumption that I'm just salty because I'm not that good at Beat Saber, I have some of the top scores on the Quest. But I must admit, none of them are on Expert+. I'm not a god!
The reason I know people are cheating is because their scores are far above the maximum possible score achievable for a given song/ difficulty. The formula to calculate the approximate max score is as follows:

Number of blocks x max swing score x max combo x max modifier bonus = max score

Written another way: number of blocks x 115 x 8 x 1.19 = max score.

This is approximate because it doesn't take into account the time it takes to build up to the max combo, so the actual figure would be a little less.

But there are leaderboard scores that far exceed this maximum, which ruins it for all of the honest players that have put in so much time and effort to get where they are on the leaderboards. I've contacted Oculus Support and tried to contact the Beat Saber devs, but my words have fallen on deaf ears.

OK, it may be difficult to weed out the cheats, but when it's that obvious, why are they allowed to remain #1. I don't think the cheats should be banned from playing BS, but they should at least be banned from the leaderboards.

If you'd like to see examples of what I'm talking about, check out "$100 Bills", "Crab Rave" or "Epic" on normal difficulty and do the maths yourself.

I'd love to hear from the Quest community about this topic. Am I the only one that cares?
40 REPLIES 40

If you're willing to do a Beat Saber thread @Crazy_Sane with what you think would be useful in it, that would be really good. Hopefully it would get plenty of gameplay vid submissions, then maybe we could get volunteers to do the same for other games. An all-game thread with a summary of confirmed high scores kept up to date in the opening post would be worth making a sticky I think but it's starting to sound like a big task!

Crazy_Sane
Superstar
Yeah, that would be cool. I'll have my work cut out for me, but hopefully it's all worth it. I'm a bit worn out at the moment, but I'll get to work on it this weekend.

I was thinking maybe a thread for each OST/ music pack that has the info in my last post as well as the leaderboard top ten for each song/ difficulty. Then people could reply with their username and a link to a video. After scrutiny by willing mods and/ or myself, the link could be added to the main leaderboard with a confirmation.

It would be awesome if the developers were onboard, so it doesn't all have to be done manually. Who knows, if this turns out to be popular, maybe they will get involved.

Geef01
Honored Guest
It would be nice to have a checkbox that says if you think you'll be in the top 10 bracket check this box to record or you won't be listed.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I would like to add my vote as well. I think if you want on the public leader board you should have to agree to a data tracking log. For personal use/high score - it's whatever. For public leader board - I think a double check wouldn't be a bad thing. Something even a computer could over over and see if it is humanly possible to even do type thing.

prometheusaqua
Honored Guest
Hey guys! I’m the record holder of 100 dollar bills on normal for the quest. It looks like I have a cheated score, but it actually got glitched. I played the level with all mods on, and I hit every block, but for some reason, it gave me about 200,000 extra point when I finished. It was weird, but I just wanted to let everyone know that it’s not all due to cheating, but also due to glitches. I do not, however, believe that I should keep my place as first, for I didn’t really earn it. Just thought you should know! ?

Crazy_Sane
Superstar
So it just randomly gave you 200,000 extra points? Hmmm....

It's strange that it doesn't happen to more people if it's a bug. And I'm guessing there's no proof of this.

prometheusaqua
Honored Guest

So it just randomly gave you 200,000 extra points? Hmmm....

It's strange that it doesn't happen to more people if it's a bug. And I'm guessing there's no proof of this.

Yeah. I think it’s just as weird as you do. Maybe it just has to do with the one level? It’d be interesting to find out. I promise I didn’t cheat, I’m not like that. Those that have cheated, however, definitely should be punished or banned or something. I also believe that I should be taken off the leader board that got glitched. This is definitely quite an issue ?

Crazy_Sane
Superstar
Well if it is some random glitch, even for one person, no one really has the right ridicule anyone for it.

But it would be cool to have a verified leaderboard. I did start gathering a lot of data in the form of screenshots, but what I had in mind would require a ton of work and updating. Instead I might just start a new thread where people can post a screenshot of the relevant leaderboard and a link to a Youtube vid.

I'll call it "Beat Saber Quest Verified Leaderboard Scores". I'll do it now.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi All, I am new to Beat Saber but I did noticed the issue of cheating in the leader boards and its discouraging specially for a new player like myself.  I am playing Give A Little Love in easy mode.  The max score you can get is 229,908 but the top 3 scores are in the 500,000 range which makes no sense.  I read through the thread, did the wall of shame ever get started or a response from Quest or Beat provide a response?

Crazy_Sane
Superstar

Hi All, I am new to Beat Saber but I did noticed the issue of cheating in the leader boards and its discouraging specially for a new player like myself.  I am playing Give A Little Love in easy mode.  The max score you can get is 229,908 but the top 3 scores are in the 500,000 range which makes no sense.  I read through the thread, did the wall of shame ever get started or a response from Quest or Beat provide a response?

Yeah, it sucks. And Oculus/ BS devs have never acknowledged it. We never did the wall of shame because there's no proof that anyone has intentionally cheated, so it wouldn't be fair.

I did start a thread for confirmed leaderboard scores. The idea was that you post the details of your score along with a link to a YouTube video as proof. Although I must admit, I've been too slack to post any yet. But you could be the first to prove your Beat Saber prowess and hopefully encourage others to do the same.

If you want to see my scores, just add me as a friend. You can see all of your friends scores. There's no multiplayer, but you can start a party chat and play together (single player but at the same time at least).