New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift S and Rift 1.42 PTC Release Notes

Comments

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,020 Volunteer Moderator
    edited October 5
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Both with Rift S? No problem with my cv1
    I’m still on CV1.
    dburne said:
    kojack said:
    I've got the system tray thing too.
    I wonder if it's related to windows itself (such as version). I'm on windows 10 ver 18362 in an admin account.

Windows 10 1903 here. Build 18362.88
    I’m using Windows 10 v1809, admin account. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,496
    Project 2501
    Maybe time to update to 1903 and at least nvidia 430.86.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors. Vive Cosmos, currently work in progress.

• RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,242
    Wintermute
    edited October 5
    Mine exits normally.
    CV1 + 3 Sensors
    Windows 10 1903, Build 18362.388
    nvidia 416.94
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - 0 PROBLEMS
  • LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 475
    Trinity
    Excellent update, now some people will start giving constructive criticism instead of complaining about stupid stuff.

Also, I'm a bit late to the party but the "pull-out windows" function now works perfectly on my laptop (since 1.40 or 1.41),  I used to get the infamous orange box with an exclamation point, but since it's out of experimental state, it's worked great.
    Multiple screens, that's just awesome! Now I can play point&click games on one screen, with another screen for my music player next to me, and some pictures opened in windows around me like posters. I can't wait to have enough horsepower to do all that in Elite:Dangerous.
    Thank you Oculus!

I can't wait to try out Oculus Link when it's released (if it lives up to the hype). I really want to update my VR equipment but I don't want to leave the Oculus ecosystem behind, and I don't want the Rift-S either.
    Current VR results imo:
    - Great small apps. Great ports of bigger games.
    - Great VR-specific features. Not enough showcased!!!
    - Too many actors in the industry, the market is totally broken.

My hopes for VR next gen:

- Better ratio between visual quality and power needs. No more godrays and less SDE.
    - Full Body Tracking.

"If you don't mind, do you want me to take you there? Where dreams come true."
  • ageofwar666ageofwar666 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I have a Rift S, ever since my Oculus software updated to 1.42 I have been having constant crashing of the Oculus dashboard. I added some new program to my oculus dashboard and have been unable to get my Rift S working even after restarts and reinstalling the Oculus software 1.41 and 1.42
    Project 2501
    Maybe contact Oculus support and start a ticket, including sending them your log files.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors. Vive Cosmos, currently work in progress.

• ryoeucharistryoeucharist Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    hallo i'm using rift s, after update Firmware my display port cannot detected. 
    is there a solution here?
  • KNP54KNP54 Posts: 281
    Nexus 6
    Mine also when I close Oculus it just minimizes to the system tray... I have to remember to close with the system tray icon so that it switches back to balanced power mode, otherwise the CPU will be stuck at 5GHz wasting all those precious electrons....
    Specs: Delidded i7-8086k @ 5.0 GHz all cores, NZXT X52 cooler, 32GB G.Skill 3200MHz, ASRock Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac, Asus GTX 1080 Strix, Corsair SF600 platinum, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 1TB, Samgung 850 EVO 500GB + 840 EVO 500GB in raid0, Seagate Ironwolf 10TB, Louqe Ghost S1, Asus PB287Q 3840x2160 @ 60Hz, Samsung SyncMaster 226BW 1680x1050 @ 60Hz. Oculus Rift S.
    Project 2501
    KNP54 said:
    Mine also when I close Oculus it just minimizes to the system tray... I have to remember to close with the system tray icon so that it switches back to balanced power mode, otherwise the CPU will be stuck at 5GHz wasting all those precious electrons....
    Ha, I just leave my conservatively overclocked i9 9900k (water cooled) at 5Ghz (all cores) with a high performance power plan, dam the expense (probably a few $'s per year)! 

The main energy usage comes when playing 3D/VR games/sims which loads up the cpu (and gpu) utalisations and you can see the temps go up (= higher energy demand).  My temps never go above 75degC and drop to 30degC very quickly once the games/sims exit and I go back to low usage apps like MS Office and web surfing.

• dburnedburne Posts: 2,843 Valuable Player
    TomCgcmfc said:
    KNP54 said:
    Ha, I just leave my conservatively overclocked i9 9900k (water cooled) at 5Ghz (all cores) with a high performance power plan, dam the expense (probably a few $'s per year)! 

The main energy usage comes when playing 3D/VR games/sims which loads up the cpu (and gpu) utalisations and you can see the temps go up (= higher energy demand).  My temps never go above 75degC and drop to 30degC very quickly once the games/sims exit and I go back to low usage apps like MS Office and web surfing.
    Yeah that has been pretty much my experience as well.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    Nexus 6
    edited October 8
    Also I noticed also that since the update, my monitors never turns off, wasting all those precious photons this time! :)

Here's what "powercfg -requests" says:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg -requests
    DISPLAY:
    [PROCESS] \Device\HarddiskVolume8\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime\OVRServer_x64.exe
    VR Active

Even though Oculus Home is not running....

edit: Maybe that's the reason why Oculus Home just minimizes to the system tray? Since OVRServer thinks that VR is always active?
    Specs: Delidded i7-8086k @ 5.0 GHz all cores, NZXT X52 cooler, 32GB G.Skill 3200MHz, ASRock Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac, Asus GTX 1080 Strix, Corsair SF600 platinum, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 1TB, Samgung 850 EVO 500GB + 840 EVO 500GB in raid0, Seagate Ironwolf 10TB, Louqe Ghost S1, Asus PB287Q 3840x2160 @ 60Hz, Samsung SyncMaster 226BW 1680x1050 @ 60Hz. Oculus Rift S.
  • OrkelOrkel Posts: 119
    Art3mis
    edited October 9
    Static mic bug still happens in 1.42 branch. Random times when talking in social VR my voice (and my friend's with his S) turns into a second of staticy, robotic crackly voice before returning to normal.
    Sometimes the voice is permanent instead of just a second - and requires a replugging of the USB to be fixed.
    PC hardware is irrelevant, I got it on my old and new PC and my friend got it on his old and new PC, I've read of others also getting this issue both on these forums and on Reddit. This is a software or firmware issue that needs fixing. Might be related to USB bandwidth or be related to the old "static flash" visual bug.
    Art3mis
    edited October 10
    snip, double post
    Well for some strange reason, the behavior of my Oculus Home just minimizing to tray when I would close it, has stopped and now it closes properly for me as of yesterday I think.

Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    Nexus 6
    dburne said:
    Well for some strange reason, the behavior of my Oculus Home just minimizing to tray when I would close it, has stopped and now it closes properly for me as of yesterday I think.

Yes same thing here! It now properly closes... Maybe it's the windows 10 update I installed yesterday? Or the fact that the update required a reboot? who knows! But anyways, thanks for saving all those precious electrons and photons!
    Art3mis
    Small update on beta branch an hour ago, not sure what changed.
    Yeah mine just updated also.
    Don

• HailHogeHailHoge Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    hello.
    thank you for update.
    displayport is not working yet.
    i sent log. cheer.

My Dash had a fatal error shortly after this latest update today.
    I have never seen that before.
    Don

Project 2501
    dburne said:

Was it Fatal-Fatal or did you manage to revive it ok?

TomCgcmfc said:
    dburne said:

Lol, yeah was able to revive it.
    Don

• RosgilliesRosgillies Posts: 154
    Art3mis
    dburne said:
    TomCgcmfc said:
    dburne said:

Lol, yeah was able to revive it.
    Yep, happened to me too. Full reboot and all seems well,
  • Yobiwan29Yobiwan29 Posts: 63
    Hiro Protagonist
      :#  Please fix the download issues ! Downloading is a hassle on oculus store, especially in case of low speed ADSL or 4G. Downloads frequently stop, every 5 minutes or so, and I have to manually restart again, and again... Asgard's Wrath was impossible to download here. No problem on Steam, or others app stores.
    Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest - Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming - i7 8700 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 MHz - Aorus GTX 1080Ti - 2 To SSD - Corsair RM650X 80+ gold
  • DanielGagneDanielGagne Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Orkel said:
    Static mic bug still happens in 1.42 branch. Random times when talking in social VR my voice (and my friend's with his S) turns into a second of staticy, robotic crackly voice before returning to normal.
    Sometimes the voice is permanent instead of just a second - and requires a replugging of the USB to be fixed.
    PC hardware is irrelevant, I got it on my old and new PC and my friend got it on his old and new PC, I've read of others also getting this issue both on these forums and on Reddit. This is a software or firmware issue that needs fixing. Might be related to USB bandwidth or be related to the old "static flash" visual bug.
    Same here. I'm still having this issue with the robotic voice that my friends are hearing from me when playing vr with them. I also hear all sorts cracking and static sound. 

From what I can read in the comments here and on reddit, this is affecting many users.

Please, Oculus, work on these issues instead of adding fancy things and nice to have to the home app, and  don't ask me to uninstall/reinstall or try different usb ports because I already tried.

I will open a ticket to let them know that I'm affected by these two issues and everyone else having these should do too.
  • MPiresMPires Posts: 128
    Art3mis
    I'm also with the robotic voice when using the mic.

It would be nice if they could fix the mic issues with either firmware or software.
    I am having my doubts they can, so using a USB desktop mic. It works at all times, something my Rift S mic will not do.
    Don

Art3mis
    Another Beta update, 8 parts.
  • manxjasonmanxjason Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    edited October 15
    Any patch notes?
  • HailHogeHailHoge Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    edited October 15
    thank you for update.
    displayport is not working 1.42.0.309426.
    displayport stay connected 10sec. but disconnected after 10sec.
    depending on the USB port, the time may stay connected 5sec.
    i got both logs and sent.

he has same issues. and he has ticket too.
    It seems that he investigating in more detail than me. his ticket may be useful.
    what is interesting in his case is that it worked properly with Rift (not Rift S).
    edited October 15
    Yay, this update seems to have fixed my no audio message with red x I was getting in Oculus Home. Using a USB mic and have mic in Rift S disabled. Showing all green now, thanks for that Oculus!
    Hoping it stays that way anyway.

Edit: Also of note this morning I was working on some cable management and had unplugged both the Rift S display port and usb for a brief amount of time, so don't know if that had anything to do with it, or if was this latest update.
    Don