cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S Display dimensions

huliqan
Adventurer
What are the exact screen dimensions (width and height) in mm or inches?
14 REPLIES 14

kojack
MVP
MVP

Spuzzum said:

davidOOF said:

1440 × 1280 px per eye, just convert this with a calculator. Tho you could find this info while browsing the internet...

When listing VR resolution per eye, you go with the smaller number first. Width x Height. 1280x1440 per eye, equals 2560x1440. 1440x1280 per eye equals 2880x1280. The Rift-S' resolution is a single panel of 2560x1440.

It depends on the headset. Some have smaller width (Rift, Quest, Go, Vive). Some have equal width and height (Windows MR headsets). Some have smaller height (eg. Pimax 5K+ is 2560×1440 per eye). Extreme fov headsets tend to have greater width than height, while the majority have greater height than width.

TomCgcmfc said:

2560×1440 5.5" (538ppi) fast-switching LCD with standard 60Hz refresh, "overclocked" 72Hz refresh
So probably 5.5 inches by 3.15 inches l x w.

That's the most I could find too. Anandtech said that some claim the Rift-S to use a 5.5 inch panel with 538ppi.
I can't find any part numbers for the Go or Rift-S panels.

huliqan said:

I just need  screen dimensions.exact width size!!!
I want to understand at what IPD setting the focus of each eye will fall exactly in the center of half of the display

What convergence are the user's eyes? Looking at a near object will have their eyes aiming at a different position on the panel than a distant object.
Also remember than the lenses are asymmetric. The IPD sweet spot isn't going to be in the exact centre, there's greater temporal fov (towards to side of your head, the temples) than nasal fov (towards the nose). The lenses also do a non linear distortion of the panel, which also doesn't help.

If what you really want to know is just "at what IPD setting the focus of each eye will fall exactly in the center of half of the display", then you could do this experimentally:
- render a small object (so it's only a few pixels) and a fixed camera or fixed offset from the camera.
- use Oculus Mirror to capture the post distortion image being sent to the panel.
- change the software IPD and retry the test until the object's pixels sit at exactly 640 pixels and 1920 pixels across
The distance of the object being rendered needs to be chosen, but without knowing what you are trying to do I can't guess if you need near parallel convergence (distances over about 30m) or something closer.

Although there's also the divider in the headset to separate the two sides, that's going to cover some pixels so the exact centre of the "visible" half panel isn't the same as the exact centre of the half panel.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Anonymous
Not applicable

kojack said:

Spuzzum said:

davidOOF said:

1440 × 1280 px per eye, just convert this with a calculator. Tho you could find this info while browsing the internet...

When listing VR resolution per eye, you go with the smaller number first. Width x Height. 1280x1440 per eye, equals 2560x1440. 1440x1280 per eye equals 2880x1280. The Rift-S' resolution is a single panel of 2560x1440.

It depends on the headset. Some have smaller width (Rift, Quest, Go, Vive). Some have equal width and height (Windows MR headsets). Some have smaller height (eg. Pimax 5K+ is 2560×1440 per eye). Extreme fov headsets tend to have greater width than height, while the majority have greater height than width.

Not really...Rift CV1: 2160x1200, Quest: 2880x1600, Go: 2560x1440, and Vive: 2160x1200. They are all wider than they are taller. But when you split them per eye...then they are thinner than taller. But when talking about VR resolutions, you combine the 2 if they are separate panels, to equal what the single full panel would be. At least with normal panels...I have to admit this isn't the case with wide FoV's. But in general, you list Width x Height, and in the case of Rift CV1, the Quest, and the Vive's...the smaller number is the width when talking per eye resolutions.

edit: I think I read your comment wrong...you were talking per eye, but listed the Go in there, which is a single panel, so I assumed you were talking full resolutions. My bad. But it's still Width x Height, and in most cases, other than wide FoV's, the smaller number is the width when talking per eye resolutions. Except for the square panels you mentioned, in which case, it wouldn't matter.

kojack
MVP
MVP
Yep, you said specifically "When listing VR resolution per eye, you go with the smaller number first", so I was replying to that. 🙂
The majority do go with per eye taller than wide, but at least 7 companies off the top of my head (acer, asus, hp, lenovo, pimax, starvr) make headsets that don't fit that pattern.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Man this must be a slow forum day to get youse into this kind of thread, lol!
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

huliqan
Adventurer
2560×1440 5.5" (538ppi)

5.5"  - it's diagonal size! this is what i need!!! Thanks!

now i know center IPD size! 

it's 61 mm. 

It matters because increasing this IPD decreases the image scale in games such as IL-2 Sturmovik,DCS,Condor 2,Dirt Rally 2.0 and etc...

I always set IPD 58mm (my own 64mm) but now I know that I can set 61mm without losing scale!