New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

How Long Will it Take for the 'Watch Whatever Movie On-line' Spammer to Figure Out It's Hopeless

DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,203 Volunteer Moderator
Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.449)

How Long Will it Take for the 'Watch Whatever Movie On-line' Spammer to Figure Out It's Hopeless 8 votes

More Than 6 Months - They have much more time on their hands than intelligence in their head
75%
nalex66Techy111TadinMorgrumKlodsBrikRattyUK 6 votes
Between 1 and 6 Months - Maybe there's another forum that doesn't monitor posts so much
12%
DaftnDirect 1 vote
Less than a month - Becasue it only take 3 clicks to ban a spammer, 4 clicks including deleteing all their posts
12%
TragicDelight 1 vote

Comments

• DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,203 Volunteer Moderator
    Between 1 and 6 Months - Maybe there's another forum that doesn't monitor posts so much

Could I also ask Oculus' forum maintenance team (there is one right?) if it's at all possible to add a rule to the spam filter to pick these posts up automatically? they all follow the same pattern so it shouldn't be too difficult.

Not that I don't mind the satisfying feeling of deleting the f***er's posts :)

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.449)
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,595 Volunteer Moderator
    At least they are so easy to spot and search for. Maybe we shouldn't let them know it's hopeless, they might try something more effective than brute force.

We've banned 37 users over the last week.
    (*waits for some conspiracy nut to claim we are banning to hide Rift-S complaints or some other crap*)
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,767 Valuable Player
    Probably the same amount of time it takes for the email blackmailer to realise that after 100 emails saying they have a video of me pleasuring myself (which they would like to share with my friends, family and contacts in two weeks unless I pay them bitcoin) I don't care and call their bluff seeing as months have passed since the two week deadline. It's just autobot emails now I guess. I assume someone somewhere will fall for it though.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    kojack said:
    At least they are so easy to spot and search for. Maybe we shouldn't let them know it's hopeless, they might try something more effective than brute force.

We've banned 37 users over the last week.
    (*waits for some conspiracy nut to claim we are banning to hide Rift-S complaints or some other crap*)
    Yeah, 5 per day sounds about right. I wish we had access to the spam rules... although that kind of power would definitely fuel a conspiracy or 2, and my megalomania.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,104 Valuable Player
    You're just banning to hide Rift S complaints or some other crap.

B)  :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,488 Volunteer Moderator
    More Than 6 Months - They have much more time on their hands than intelligence in their head
    Probably the same amount of time it takes for the email blackmailer to realise that after 100 emails saying they have a video of me pleasuring myself (which they would like to share with my friends, family and contacts in two weeks unless I pay them bitcoin) I don't care and call their bluff seeing as months have passed since the two week deadline. It's just autobot emails now I guess. I assume someone somewhere will fall for it though.
    Don't you be worrying mate, I seen them a few weeks ago....nothing special ;)
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• sford52sford52 Posts: 174
    Art3mis
    Wait - You mean I can watch whatever movie online?

ASUS ROG Strix GL702VS-AH73 17.3" Laptop.  I7-7700HQ, GTX1070, 12 GB DDR4 RAM, 500 EVO 970 GB SSD, VS 2017, Oculus rift, Windows 10 home

mmm could this have been resolved? thanks to @ShowbizDonkey for helping out - hope I'm not speaking too soon!!! and I'll miss that ****ing ***ker. (the spammer I mean, not Showbiz).

Anyway, if anyone sees what they think is a suspect post, please free to tag the mods in that post or message us, cos we may not read everything.

And it goes without saying, don't click on any links, even if they're harmless (and they're very possibly not), each click may be being counted and adds to the incentive to a spammer to post more.

thankyou :)

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,104 Valuable Player
    But what if I actually want to watch Whatever online? I've heard that it's a really good film based on the life of a teenager.

Whatevah!  :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    snowdog said:
    But what if I actually want to watch Whatever online? I've heard that it's a really good film based on the life of a teenager.

Whatevah!  :D
    you've watched too many of those snow... you'll get hairy knuckles
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 937
    3Jane
    Having a couple of mods tags in my desktop yellow notes, just in case, has been fun :)
    Interesting how recently the spam moved to the quest sub-forum...
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)

mmm could this have been resolved?

Nope, got a couple more today.

• KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 1,197
    Wintermute
    IMDB is my favorite goto site when it comes to entertainment.
    But why spam links directed to i?. Actually I kinda likes this spammer trolling methods.
    I meen, look he/shes got their own tread / poll on our forum ! ?
    Be good, die great !
    kojack said:

mmm could this have been resolved?

Nope, got a couple more today.

Oh dear, he must have been on a break. I’ll keep logging in early and catch the morning posts. I feel a resolution on the way though,
    KlodsBrik said:
    But why spam links directed to i?. Actually I kinda likes this spammer trolling methods.
    There’s a persistency that’s either admirable or idiotic, I’ll go with the latter.
    I’ve been looking after my sister’s dog for the last couple weeks and I swear it has more purpose to its life than this spammer.
    She just has a bad tendency to eat other dog’s poo if she’s given half a chance.
    RattyUK said:
    Having a couple of mods tags in my desktop yellow notes, just in case, has been fun :)
    Interesting how recently the spam moved to the quest sub-forum...
    Wonder if it’s a measure of how well a headset is doing?
    Do they have to deal with much spam on the Index forum? 😉
    KlodsBrik said:
    I think they do it because a link to IMDB looks legitimate. Most forums wouldn't want to ban all IMDB links, and they put the pirate links at the top of a real list of IMDB movies.

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,488 Volunteer Moderator
    Banned 2 this morning, getting crafty now, first post was in German !!!
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

edited October 30
    Techy111 said:

Seems to be increasing too, or at least the posting times are changing, just banned another 2 more.

@ShowbizDonkey help!!

• ShowbizDonkeyShowbizDonkey Posts: 148 Oculus Staff
    Techy111 said:

Seems to be increasing too, or at least the posting times are changing, just banned another 2 more.

@ShowbizDonkey help!!

:( Thanks for reporting. I'll look into it.