cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facebook Oculus Really Pushing out the Quest Ads now

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
My youtube channel gets lots of views a month at the moment (almost at the 60 million total views). I am noticing when uploading my videos there is a distinct push of Oculus Quest adverts. I assume this is part of a massive marketing campaign leading up to the holiday season.  The ad is pretty neat and showcases the basics.  Oh on the flip-side, I have seen zero Rift S ads on Youtube, but some through Google but that doesn't count because that's probably based on my web usage.

Thoughts?

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
12 REPLIES 12

I haven't seen the add yet so I assume there's some smarts as to which channel it gets put on (I'm kind of into engineering stuff).

I know you wouldn't want to over-promote your own channel there Shadow but if I asked for a link... in the interests of checking things out, that's not like self promotion 😉

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Hey it's not unique to my channel. Check any gaming channel and it's likely you'll see the ad. It's pre-rolling on most of my videos I've been uploading recently.

I just randomly chose this for you and the ad played.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ge3lsPQCy0

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Yeah I just watched the 30 second add and it's not bad (I thought you may like an excuse to link your channel though but I won't push it!)

I guess the add needs to stay short to avoid the 'skip' as much as possible. It was kind of good but I think it could have been a bit more... grabby... if you know what I mean. The add itself could relate to any VR headset really so could have played more on the untethered and no-PC needed aspect maybe.

On the other hand, newcomers probably just want a taste of the experiences you're going to get so it was good.

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
NO WIRES
NO PC
NO LIMITS

Anonymous
Not applicable
Man last few days been ad after ad on it xD Looks like they're hoping for Christmas sells to really kick in.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just another confirmation Oculus has focused mainly on Quest for the time being.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Makes sense considering that PCVR is for "enthusiasts" and no proper enthusiast needs to see an advertisement. Enthusiast behavior tends to be a bit more anti-mainstream; where purchasing decisions are based more on personal recommendations and research.

Advertising is for the "masses" (e.g. not the enthusiast). Oculus Quest is for the masses (they don't have to buy a PC to run VR).

It isn't very smart to advertise an enthusiast piece of tech to the masses, especially when you have a piece of tech built for the masses.

That being said, on Facebook I see about the same number of Ad's for both Quest and Rift-S. And there are people joining the Facebook VR groups for the first time on a weekly basis; often as new Rift-S owners. I also notice quite a few group members with both a Rift-S and Quest.

I also think that there is a bigger pro-PCVR thing happening that gets overlooked quite a bit. The fact that Quest will allow PCVR Streaming is in fact a great advertisement for the Rift-S. Every Quest owner will get a "taste" of PCVR, and they will want that Rift-S experience. Because the fact remains that no matter how fun it is to have the Quest, a Rift is an overall better headset.

These strategies are rather intelligent, if we stop and look at the big picture. Facebook and Oculus have set up their Rift line for some great success in a rather ingenious way.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree with Zen here - I don't think it's them looking at Rift S or Quest more - just the audience that is more likely to buy a product in that content. More or less - I would think to see more Quest ads than Rift S ads on YouTube as those people might have a computer - but I am sure not powerful enough to really run VR. With Quest doing both - it can also cannibalizes some Rift S sells if the customer wishes to push the new platform and therefore more swaying power in devs to create content for them. Honestly - it wont matter if a customer buys Rift S or Quest as far as Facebook is concern. Both lead to a software market and there for lead to more sells. If anything, I would be a bit worried about Quest content being a bit sim compare to PCVR content (including steam as part of possible PCVR content).

I do wonder how the audience that looks at Quest will see the current prices for the mobile half though. At least in the cell phone market - most apps are pretty cheap costing usually less than 5$. I wonder how the Quest market will react some. I remember seeing some early threads about prices for games were kind of high (even though still with in reasonable price points for games base off other game content).

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
Interesting observation @Shadowmask72 - I also noticed my ads were becoming Quest heavy over last week - now back to the normal selection including surprisingly adverts for AWE EU!!

A real world example of how the AI tracking-bots have considered my habits and feel I am "mainstream enough" to be targeted with these adverts, (search habits, tracked views, cookies, etc.,)

Will really be fascinating to get some idea of sales on Quest - since the MarkZ comments of "cant build them fast enough!"[paraphrased] At least unlike with Rift, we should be able to calculate the numbers from next months Lenovo financial reporting. 
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959