cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S users who have return/refunded and gone back to their Rift CV1 with 2-3 sensors - Reasons?

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Please only respond to this thread if you are an experienced Oculus Rift cv1 user who purchased a Rift S and retained their Rift cv1 w/sensors.  Then came to the conclusion that it was better to return their Rift S for a refund and go back to your Rift cv1 with 2-3 sensors.

I think it will be interesting to hear reasons why you did this and any  problems you had getting a full refund.  Also, what are your future VR headset plans?

Probably a big ask but try to keep your responses brief and try avoid expletives, lol!  Also try not to add a lot of Oculus-should-have opinions/recommendations, just your main reason(s) for going back to your cv1 and where you plan to go to next.  Thanks and I look forward to your responses.

Ok, so I'll try to start the ball rolling with my main views;

Even though I was very happy with my Rift cv1 w/2x sensors and Oculus said that the Rift S should not be considered to be an upgrade, I got caught into the hype about it's improved resolution and comfort (with the halo design) and I pre-ordered one.

After receiving it I did have to agree that the higher resolution and comfort were both great and initially this seemed to actually feel like a very nice upgrade from my Rift cv1.  Also, I did not seem to have any upgrade problems adding this to my then current Oculus 1.37 software.  Nor did I have any problems with 1.38.  

Audio diff's were not that big a deal for me since I already kinda got used to this with my Oculus Go and I like the freedom of not needing a headst.  It's pretty easy to add earbuds for a bit more immersion and, on occasion, to avoid others hearing my audio.  Still, there is no doubt that the Rift cv1 headset gives a much nicer result (while it's audio ribbon lasts, lol!).

The main problem I encountered was controller grip lag, esp with grab and throw games like Merry Snowballs and ToyBox.  Removing the controller battery covers helped quite a bit but the response was still not as quick and crisp as my older cv1 touch controllers.

The other problem was tracking.  I think I had gotten used to the excellent tracking with my high-mounted downward facing cv1 2x sensors.  Going back to inside/out tracking was def a minor downgrade.  This problem was much the same that I experienced with my WMR system.  Inside/out is easier to setup but it does require you to adjust your mode of operation.  That is, you cannot shoot arrows and pick your nose at the same time, lol!  However, for most games, esp. flight and racing sims it works fine imho.

I bought my Rift S from the Oculus Store.  I initiated a Support Ticket (including my logfiles) and politely explained to Oculus Support my concerns after 2-3 weeks of usage and troubleshooting  I requested a refund.  They responded in 2 days, initiated an RMA, sent me a return pre-paid label 2 days later.  I ended up getting a full PayPal refund 6 days  later.  Pretty fast and friendly Oculus CS imho.  

I doubt I would have gotten anything better with Amazon (although they are also usually very good).  We do not have other outlets in Australia like BestBuys so I cannot vouch for them.

Really not sure what my next VR headset will be?

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers
62 REPLIES 62

jayhawk
Superstar

TomCgcmfc said:

I gotta say that people who sold their Rift cv1's in order to be able to afford to purchase a Rift S may not have made a very good decision imho.  Hopefully, in the long run I will be proved wrong.

They may or may not have, that I know for absolute certain. lol. In my case it didn't matter. I wasn't using my CV1 anymore anyway, mainly because I eventually couldn't take the low visuals. If Rift S wasn't the answer, than nothing is.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

jayhawk said:

TomCgcmfc said:

I gotta say that people who sold their Rift cv1's in order to be able to afford to purchase a Rift S may not have made a very good decision imho.  Hopefully, in the long run I will be proved wrong.

They may or may not have, that I know for absolute certain. lol. In my case it didn't matter. I wasn't using my CV1 anymore anyway, mainly because I eventually couldn't take the low visuals. If Rift S wasn't the answer, than nothing is.

Sorry but I do not understand what you are saying?  Have you bought and used a Rift S and are now getting better results?  Whatever, I hope you are getting good VR mate.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

jayhawk said:

Currently VR'less. Sold my Rift to buy the Rift S. Returned the S for a few different reasons, the first being the loss of tracking issue when controls are up close. Completely unacceptable IMO. If things have improved down the road I will repurchase, or maybe look closer at the Index.

Sorry, I now see where you are coming from mate.  Whichever way you go I hope you finally get a good VR experience.  I'm also going to keep an eye out for the Valve Index.  But no way am I going to be a pre-order beta tester, lol!

Soulless512
Expert Protege
If I could find a CV1 with touch controllers I would go back to it in a heartbeat and just get glasses inserts and sell this rift s I have. If though i had known how bad this one would be I would not have sold my original rift

GunnyNinja
Honored Guest
My IPD is 72. The image is too blurry for me, which is a shame since I can see a noticeable improvement over the CV1. This is going to cause me to look elsewhere for a solution. Bad move Oculus.

Digikid1
Consultant
Well I have not gotten a Rift S and won't until they have proven itself.

However a few friends of mine have and then returned them in disgust.  Here are the reasons they have told me.

1.)  They did not like the downgraded screen ( OLED to LCD )
2.)  They did not like the slower refresh rate
3.)  They did not like the poorly designed newer controllers
4.)  Flickering Screen Issues
5.)  They didn't know that they would need headphones for PROPER sound

The list goes on and on but I will stop there.  Although they should have done their research ( they HATE that I am always right on waiting for new tech to see what issues crop up ) they went back to their CV1 Rifts and are happier for it.

Although newer firmwares look promising....it will take MONTHS before I start selling the Rift S in my stores.

The Rift S is more like a Rift 1.2.......

Douche-Baggins
Explorer
Rift CV1 User for years, it took some time to get tracking good, but with 3 sensors it was working well.  Sensor bound Oculus program is helpfull for this.

CV1 now low on the market in terms of lens and other options so started looking for the next best thing,  picked up the Rift S. The changes in the headset I like, feels much better on the head.  I was very happy to have 360 tracking, longer cord, etc..

Utter disappointment when I fired up my FPS and found its weakness.  Strange since this seems like it can be fixed using the external sensors for hand tracking.  You can sell more product to us VR junkies, I know hardcore gamers would add-on this option.

Any game that requires the controller to be close to your head or body causes issues.  This is mostly found with Shooters and Bow games.. Strange since this is the largest user base in terms of game sales...  

I am returning my Rift S until they can sell me an external sensor or allow use of CV1 sensors.

Netheri
Rising Star
@TomCgcmfc "They responded in 2 days, initiated an RMA, sent me a return pre-paid label 2 days later.  I ended up getting a full PayPal refund 6 days  later.  Pretty fast and friendly Oculus CS imho. " Rly mate? I'm trying to get my right hand Touch into RMA, i've been waiting the shipping label only already for 5 days (7 if weekends are counted). ROFL Sorry for the OT. Just had to really wonder out loud.
i9-9900K@ 5GHz, ASUS Rog Strix 2080 Super OC , 32gb 3466MHz DDR4, ROG Strix Z390 E Gaming, 1 x Inateck 4 port USB 3.0 card, 2x3.1, USB, 6x3.0 USB on mobo, 1x USB-C on G-card, Reverb G2

Anonymous
Not applicable

Digikid1 said:

Well I have not gotten a Rift S and won't until they have proven itself.

However a few friends of mine have and then returned them in disgust.  Here are the reasons they have told me.

1.)  They did not like the downgraded screen ( OLED to LCD )
2.)  They did not like the slower refresh rate
3.)  They did not like the poorly designed newer controllers
4.)  Flickering Screen Issues
5.)  They didn't know that they would need headphones for PROPER sound

The list goes on and on but I will stop there.  Although they should have done their research ( they HATE that I am always right on waiting for new tech to see what issues crop up ) they went back to their CV1 Rifts and are happier for it.

Although newer firmwares look promising....it will take MONTHS before I start selling the Rift S in my stores.

The Rift S is more like a Rift 1.2.......

Just my observation having used my Rift S now for about 4.5 months.

1) This one did not bother me, the image is still good enough in my eyes and no God Rays. Nice bump in image clarity.
2) Can't say I can tell a difference really, perhaps more discerning eyes can.
3) Certainly not as durable, but I got used to using them fairly quickly. Battery life sucks in them though, I take them out when not using for prolonged period. Original Touch Controllers were way better in battery usage.
4) I do not have this. I think that got resolved a few updates back. I was getting the static flashes until then.
5) I pretty much figured this going in when I pre-ordered my Rift S, so had already purchased earbuds to use with it. They do not bother me and sound is very good. I used earbuds with the CV1 also. But yeah audio strap is crap.
Only other issue I have with my Rift S is in the mic, get constant dropouts during gaming which is a pain. So I got an inexpensive desktop usb mic which took care of that.

Oculus definitely hurt themselves with the Rift S with the audio strap/mic. Very poor quality. Certainly not up to what I would consider Oculus standards.
 I can't go without my Rift S though, and can not go back to my CV1.  Been using the S daily since getting it, many hours each week.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
The early Rift S issues, esp. flashing and tracking seem to be resolved now.  I helped setup a friend's Rift S last month and I found most things seemed much better.  I still noticed a little controller grip release lag though.  I gotta say that it still did not seem like much of an upgrade to my cv1 w/2x sensors though so I have no thoughts about buying one again.