New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift S users who have return/refunded and gone back to their Rift CV1 with 2-3 sensors - Reasons?

Comments

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,454
    Project 2501
    Techy111 said:
    @TomCgcmfc keep it on topic please  :D Joke!!! Lol
    I so sorry, lol! o:)

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors. Vive Cosmos, currently work in progress.

• jayhawkjayhawk Posts: 812
    3Jane
    Currently VR'less. Sold my Rift to buy the Rift S. Returned the S for a few different reasons, the first being the loss of tracking issue when controls are up close. Completely unacceptable IMO. If things have improved down the road I will repurchase, or maybe look closer at the Index.
    Project 2501
    I gotta say that people who sold their Rift cv1's in order to be able to afford to purchase a Rift S may not have made a very good decision imho.  Hopefully, in the long run I will be proved wrong.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors. Vive Cosmos, currently work in progress.

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,597 Valuable Player
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Zen, blow me!  I always luv your inserts.  You are Master.

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    Well besides the downgrade for a lack of good headphones, the loss of tracking near the headset is a huge mistake. It makes you hate the VR experience seeing those moments of drifting hands and is not on par with last gen. I am thinking I'd rather wait it out frankly. I see some shooter games added weird workarounds but nothing will compare to actual hand positions like CV1 especially for Archery and Guns. There is zero point in compromise on this. It is the device which must be improved NOT games to adapt!
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,706 Valuable Player
    edited June 24
    I see that the HTC Cosmos has added another camera to the bottom making it six camera's in total. That's where I felt Rift S should have added a camera, but we will see how it preforms with close up shooters and if it fixes the issue. I won't be buying one though because I want external sensors or base stations now.
    No doubt it will also probably cost about $600 to $700, if it's true that it's not going to be $900.

• SkepticGuySkepticGuy Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Am about to return mine and go back to the original Rift. I mainly play In Death (archery) and it's almost unplayable with the poor tracking.
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,777 Valuable Player
    edited June 24
    Have there been any polls about how widespread the problem is? 

i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
    Project 2501
    @MowTin , I think it's pretty difficult to have a poll that can adequately cover all aspects.  Maybe Oculus should undertake a customer satisfaction survey?  I don't know if they would actually post the results though, lol!

edited June 25
    Time for Zuckerberg and Rubin to accept that Lenovo hasn't developed "a rift" that lives up to the gold standard set by the CV1.
    I appreciate and respect what they are trying to accomplish with the Rift-S, however...

edited June 25
    Zenbane said:
    Time for Zuckerberg and Rubin to accept that Lenovo hasn't developed "a rift" that lives up to the gold standard set by the CV1.

I appreciate and respect what they are trying to accomplish with the Rift-S, however...

You mean the Lenovo is a piece of junk. That's what I'm starting to think. They wanted it cheap and that's what they got. 

Sticking to Fight Club. Do we really need a Rift-S?

MowTin said:

While I agree that the Rift-S as made by Lenovo seems a sour choice that should be remedied asap, that Fight Club quote you posted applies more to the Valve Index than anything else!
    >:)
    Zenbane said:

While I agree that the Rift-S as made by Lenovo seems a sour choice that should be remedied asap, that Fight Club quote you posted applies more to the Valve Index than anything else!
    It doesn't matter that the Rift-S was manufactured by Lenovo. It's Oculus' product. It's their responsibility if they outsourced production and cut corners creating a defective product.

I have a few things to try before giving up and declaring the Rift-S a defective product. But I'm really concerned that they were trying too hard to cut costs.  

Maybe it's time for Project Mayhem to pay them a visit. 
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,108 Valuable Player
    TomCgcmfc said:
    RedRizla said:
    snowdog said:
    I can't go back to the CV1 now, the difference in clarity between the two is about as night and day as you can get.
    The thread is about those who have returned it and for what reason :)
    I'm just saying because the thread will turn into ..Why people kept the Rift S if not and that's not what the OP is trying to gauge here.

Ya, much as I would like a few more on-topic posts I really don't mind a little Oculus Forum Banter.

Snowie, ya rebel you, if I had not kept my CV1 (and I believe you kindly gave yours away to a friend) I probably would have persevered with the Rift S.  Def better clarity and comfort.

Zen, blow me, just kidding!  I always luv your posts and inserts, on or off topic.  You are def this Forum's best Master-Debater, lol!

I've actually still got my CV1 cos my mate is 80-odd miles away in Kent. But I can't go back to it at all. Like I've said it's like not wearing glasses then wearing some and being able to see and then losing your glasses.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    edited June 25
    MowTin said:
    Zenbane said:

It doesn't matter that the Rift-S was manufactured by Lenovo. It's Oculus' product. It's their responsibility if they outsourced production and cut corners creating a defective product.

Manufacturing issues are caused by the manufacturer. So yes, it does matter who manufactured the product. Oculus is ultimately responsible, but to say it doesn't matter who manufacturers a product with manufacturing issues is rather absurd.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,713 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:
    TomCgcmfc said:
    RedRizla said:
    snowdog said:
    I can't go back to the CV1 now, the difference in clarity between the two is about as night and day as you can get.
    The thread is about those who have returned it and for what reason :)
    I'm just saying because the thread will turn into ..Why people kept the Rift S if not and that's not what the OP is trying to gauge here.

Ya, much as I would like a few more on-topic posts I really don't mind a little Oculus Forum Banter.

Snowie, ya rebel you, if I had not kept my CV1 (and I believe you kindly gave yours away to a friend) I probably would have persevered with the Rift S.  Def better clarity and comfort.

Zen, blow me, just kidding!  I always luv your posts and inserts, on or off topic.  You are def this Forum's best Master-Debater, lol!

I've actually still got my CV1 cos my mate is 80-odd miles away in Kent. But I can't go back to it at all. Like I've said it's like not wearing glasses then wearing some and being able to see and then losing your glasses.

So now you can see, but can't Touch or hear? ;) I am truly worried that getting Index may make it hard to use CV1 from time to time, but nah, CV1 can never be bad o:) I still play my MAME games, they still look awesome - with scanlines B)
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    Project 2501
    Ya, most look fine with my Rift cv1.  Some of my detailed  flight instruments/switches are not quite as clear with XP11 but either a little more SS, and/or a quick VR zoom-in works fine for me. I could not really see much diff with any Oculus Store games after adjusting a few in-game settings.

All personal preference imho.

• jayhawkjayhawk Posts: 812
    3Jane
    TomCgcmfc said:
    I gotta say that people who sold their Rift cv1's in order to be able to afford to purchase a Rift S may not have made a very good decision imho.  Hopefully, in the long run I will be proved wrong.
    They may or may not have, that I know for absolute certain. lol. In my case it didn't matter. I wasn't using my CV1 anymore anyway, mainly because I eventually couldn't take the low visuals. If Rift S wasn't the answer, than nothing is.
    Project 2501
    edited June 26
    jayhawk said:
    TomCgcmfc said:
    They may or may not have, that I know for absolute certain. lol. In my case it didn't matter. I wasn't using my CV1 anymore anyway, mainly because I eventually couldn't take the low visuals. If Rift S wasn't the answer, than nothing is.
    Sorry but I do not understand what you are saying?  Have you bought and used a Rift S and are now getting better results?  Whatever, I hope you are getting good VR mate.

Project 2501
    edited June 26
    jayhawk said:
    Currently VR'less. Sold my Rift to buy the Rift S. Returned the S for a few different reasons, the first being the loss of tracking issue when controls are up close. Completely unacceptable IMO. If things have improved down the road I will repurchase, or maybe look closer at the Index.
    Sorry, I now see where you are coming from mate.  Whichever way you go I hope you finally get a good VR experience.  I'm also going to keep an eye out for the Valve Index.  But no way am I going to be a pre-order beta tester, lol!

• Soulless512Soulless512 Posts: 95
    Hiro Protagonist
    If I could find a CV1 with touch controllers I would go back to it in a heartbeat and just get glasses inserts and sell this rift s I have. If though i had known how bad this one would be I would not have sold my original rift
  • GunnyNinjaGunnyNinja Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    My IPD is 72. The image is too blurry for me, which is a shame since I can see a noticeable improvement over the CV1. This is going to cause me to look elsewhere for a solution. Bad move Oculus.
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,049 Valuable Player
    Well I have not gotten a Rift S and won't until they have proven itself.

However a few friends of mine have and then returned them in disgust.  Here are the reasons they have told me.

1.)  They did not like the downgraded screen ( OLED to LCD )
    2.)  They did not like the slower refresh rate
    3.)  They did not like the poorly designed newer controllers
    4.)  Flickering Screen Issues
    5.)  They didn't know that they would need headphones for PROPER sound

The list goes on and on but I will stop there.  Although they should have done their research ( they HATE that I am always right on waiting for new tech to see what issues crop up ) they went back to their CV1 Rifts and are happier for it.

Although newer firmwares look promising....it will take MONTHS before I start selling the Rift S in my stores.

The Rift S is more like a Rift 1.2.......
  • douchebaggindouchebaggin Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Rift CV1 User for years, it took some time to get tracking good, but with 3 sensors it was working well.  Sensor bound Oculus program is helpfull for this.

CV1 now low on the market in terms of lens and other options so started looking for the next best thing,  picked up the Rift S. The changes in the headset I like, feels much better on the head.  I was very happy to have 360 tracking, longer cord, etc..

Utter disappointment when I fired up my FPS and found its weakness.  Strange since this seems like it can be fixed using the external sensors for hand tracking.  You can sell more product to us VR junkies, I know hardcore gamers would add-on this option.

Any game that requires the controller to be close to your head or body causes issues.  This is mostly found with Shooters and Bow games.. Strange since this is the largest user base in terms of game sales...  

I am returning my Rift S until they can sell me an external sensor or allow use of CV1 sensors.

• NetheriNetheri Posts: 249
    Nexus 6
    edited October 15
    @TomCgcmfc "They responded in 2 days, initiated an RMA, sent me a return pre-paid label 2 days later.  I ended up getting a full PayPal refund 6 days  later.  Pretty fast and friendly Oculus CS imho. " Rly mate? I'm trying to get my right hand Touch into RMA, i've been waiting the shipping label only already for 5 days (7 if weekends are counted). ROFL Sorry for the OT. Just had to really wonder out loud.
    [email protected], ASUS Rog Strix 2080 Super OC , Corsair 32gb 3000MHz DDR4, ROG Strix Z370 H Gaming, 2 x Inateck 4 port USB 3.0 cards.
    Natively Homeless (2.0) Dash, it's a working victory!
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,770 Valuable Player
    edited October 15
    Digikid1 said:
    Well I have not gotten a Rift S and won't until they have proven itself.

However a few friends of mine have and then returned them in disgust.  Here are the reasons they have told me.

1.)  They did not like the downgraded screen ( OLED to LCD )
    2.)  They did not like the slower refresh rate
    3.)  They did not like the poorly designed newer controllers
    4.)  Flickering Screen Issues
    5.)  They didn't know that they would need headphones for PROPER sound

The list goes on and on but I will stop there.  Although they should have done their research ( they HATE that I am always right on waiting for new tech to see what issues crop up ) they went back to their CV1 Rifts and are happier for it.

Although newer firmwares look promising....it will take MONTHS before I start selling the Rift S in my stores.

The Rift S is more like a Rift 1.2.......
    Just my observation having used my Rift S now for about 4.5 months.

1) This one did not bother me, the image is still good enough in my eyes and no God Rays. Nice bump in image clarity.
    2) Can't say I can tell a difference really, perhaps more discerning eyes can.
    3) Certainly not as durable, but I got used to using them fairly quickly. Battery life sucks in them though, I take them out when not using for prolonged period. Original Touch Controllers were way better in battery usage.
    4) I do not have this. I think that got resolved a few updates back. I was getting the static flashes until then.
    5) I pretty much figured this going in when I pre-ordered my Rift S, so had already purchased earbuds to use with it. They do not bother me and sound is very good. I used earbuds with the CV1 also. But yeah audio strap is crap.
    Only other issue I have with my Rift S is in the mic, get constant dropouts during gaming which is a pain. So I got an inexpensive desktop usb mic which took care of that.

Oculus definitely hurt themselves with the Rift S with the audio strap/mic. Very poor quality. Certainly not up to what I would consider Oculus standards.
     I can't go without my Rift S though, and can not go back to my CV1.  Been using the S daily since getting it, many hours each week.

Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    Project 2501
    The early Rift S issues, esp. flashing and tracking seem to be resolved now.  I helped setup a friend's Rift S last month and I found most things seemed much better.  I still noticed a little controller grip release lag though.  I gotta say that it still did not seem like much of an upgrade to my cv1 w/2x sensors though so I have no thoughts about buying one again.

• douchebaggindouchebaggin Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Rift CV1 User for years, it took some time to get tracking good, but with 3 sensors it was working well.  Sensor bound Oculus program is helpfull for this.

CV1 now low on the market in terms of lens and other options so started looking for the next best thing,  picked up the Rift S. The changes in the headset I like, feels much better on the head.  I was very happy to have 360 tracking, longer cord, etc..

Utter disappointment when I fired up my FPS and found its weakness.  Strange since this seems like it can be fixed using the external sensors for hand tracking.  You can sell more product to us VR junkies, I know hardcore gamers would add-on this option.

Any game that requires the controller to be close to your head or body causes issues.  This is mostly found with Shooters and Bow games.. Strange since this is the largest user base in terms of game sales...  

I am returning my Rift S until they can sell me an external sensor or allow use of CV1 sensors.

Quick Update:
    Picked up a gunstock for my FPS built exclusively for the Rift S,  tracking is good now for the most part. 

Still want to place a BIG suggestion into the box, add outside controller tracking as an add-on.