cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Go not Charging or Powering on?

Full_Bleed
Protege
I've seen some posts lately about people having this problem... and then I started to experience it myself.  I tried using 3 chargers and some different cables and the headset still would not start charging or power on.  I thought the unit was dead.

I contacted Oculus Support and it, ultimately, was decided that I would need to return it for service.  However, after receiving a mailing label from them and an instruction to "factory reset" the device if I could before shipping I got to thinking, "I can't factory reset it because I can't get it to charge or power on... but maybe I can plug it into my computer and wipe it like a flash drive."

So, I plugged it into a *powered* USB hub on my computer and... the charging light lit up and the oculus symbol popped up in the headset display.  The computer did not show that it was connected, but I left it sit that way for a couple hours and then powered it up (while still connected to the computer.)  It booted up fine and the computer did see it.

I removed it from the computer, tested it out, and then tried hooking it up to the chargers that it wouldn't work with earlier.  It now will charge with them.

It seems like plugging the "dead" unit into my computer (not sure if it needs to be a powered USB hub or not) seemed to trigger some kind of "wake state" that other chargers (including the one that came with it) could not.

I'm not sure if this will help anyone out there with their charge/power-on issue, but this is what worked for me.

Good luck!
8 REPLIES 8

dancingfield
Honored Guest
Full_Bleed, thanks for the information, I did try plugging into usb on my laptop, but my Oculus remainded dead.
So a replacement is being sent to me, but if I have any issues in the future, I will try what you suggested on one of my other laptops.
Again thanks for the information.

Full_Bleed
Protege

Full_Bleed, thanks for the information, I did try plugging into usb on my laptop, but my Oculus remainded dead.
So a replacement is being sent to me, but if I have any issues in the future, I will try what you suggested on one of my other laptops.
Again thanks for the information.

I wonder if using a powered USB hub like I did would have made a difference?  It would have supplied more power than a standard USB port.

If I have the problem again I will try plugging it directly into my computer first.  If that fails to "wake" the device but the hub succeeds then that would be good info to have.

Here are the power specs of the hub I plugged mine into: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/677540/Belkin-F5u234.html?page=7#manual

It states later in the manual that if I use the hub without it's external power supply then it can only supply 100mA through two ports.  However, when it's plugged in it can supply up to 500mA.

popescu_mircea_
Honored Guest
Hey guys. I had the same problem! My oculus was dead all the way. I plug it into my laptop and I kept pushing the button. Way more than 20 seconds. I heard that connecting disconnecting sound. I just kept on holding the button. Suddenly the red light appeared and it starts to charge. I hope this helps!! 

Anonymous
Not applicable
I had the same issue with my brand new Quest.  Tried everything to get it to charge.  Best I got was 1-2% per hour.

Finally, I switched off the Bluetooth on my paired device as support commented saying it could be connecting in charge mode still and draining power as it charged.

Boom,  back to normal service

Anonymous
Not applicable
Can confirm - it makes nooooo sense - but Voodoo instructions. 

- Dead Oculus Go
  + Connected to USB charger for 30 min, no lights at all

- Press and HOLD power button (approx 20 seconds)
- Comes back to life
- It had 38% battery when it came back (was connected to charger for 30+ minutes 'while dead'. so don't know.)

None of the other factors discussed appear to have effect:
 - No laptop
- Bluetooth on

It's like a 'deep boot' or something.

Sammy0319
Honored Guest

Thank you so much Full_Bleed...Worked like a charm!

Sammy0319
Honored Guest
Richard, holding down the power button helped to kick start things 🙂

SbOOPIyt1
Honored Guest

How long do you think this will take?