cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did FB just kill the Oculus Rift S???

Chris_WG
Honored Guest
Anyone watch Oculus Connect 6?

It was basically announced that the Oculus Quest will receive PC VR support, essentially making it a Rift S as well as a standalone headset.  Also, they plan to introduce hand-tracking with the Quest.

Did they just kill the Oculus Rift S in one fell swoop with this announcement?  As a Rift S owner, not sure how I feel about it.  The Quest is now going to be able to do everything the Rift S can do plus a few more things it seems.

Did Mark Zuckerberg just give all Rift S user s a big FU?
96 REPLIES 96

Anonymous
Not applicable
If you say so. Cheers. But it only decodes video on the Quest side.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
If they could do it having the option of a per game setup of 72,Hz or 90hz with a locked in ASW (so only 45fps) may be an answer.
It would likely need to be configurable per game as some games suit a locked 45,FPS better than others. PC users are used to having configuration options so I think the option is ok if it is doable.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

kojack
MVP
MVP
ASW wouldn't really help Quest Link though. There's still 90 fps of data being generated that needs to be sent over the cable, it just saves on the pc's GPU (by the game doing half the work and the oculus runtime filling in the gaps).

It might be possible to distribute the work though, have the reprojection part of ASW run on the Quest's GPU. Send 45fps, generate the in between frames on the headset. But that would only really suit ASW 1. For ASW 2 you need z buffer data as well, which is going to increase the needed bandwidth back up. There could be reduced z buffer precision to cut down on data, but it's probably still going to take 1.5 to 2 times the data of ASW 1.

I don't know the current state, but before the Quest's release Oculus said that it would have positional time warp, but not ASW 2. Carmack said that ASW is a bigger hit on the GPU than a typical mobile frame anyway.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

bigmike20vt
Visionary
AHH ok, (I guess I just didn't think it through then 🙂 )
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Spuzzum said:

If you say so. Cheers. But it only decodes video on the Quest side.

coughdatafromtheheadsetmovementcough

Yes, but it still takes time to do both as I said... so you can't "overclock" it. Aka, you can't make one side faster to get more data - both sides have to keep up. This is why 265+ gets away with it because it doesn't send as much data in the first place. Their 3 slice is only helpful in showing the frame faster - over all it should still take the same amount or close to the same amount of time to show the frame in full. There for, you have a limit and that limit is bandwidth at that point if the frame updates over a percent. So while they could improve on movements in the frame it self - if there is a whole new sense to draw each time - you are just stuck. What this will help though is instead of compression/static FOVA - you could turn down static FOVA allowing a clear image for that 30% boost making it pretty close to a 1:1 clear image you would've gotten from Rift S or maybe another 3 frames for a slight improvement to 75Hz refresh rate. On the other hand - you could allow for a "burst" of frames up to 90Hz if the screen isn't moving much. Maybe this would help in some games that are keeping you looking at the same images like a movie or pictures. This could be done because you are only updating the movement then while keeping the same current pixels therefor increasing the total speed by a lot.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I really don't want to wade through this thread, but I have a question. Are we going to see another Pc -VR headset from Oculus in the future, or is it just going to be an Oculus Quest that you can tether to a PC from now on? That is the main question I wanted answered at OC6, so can someone tell me if they did answer this question at OC6?

Anonymous
Not applicable

RedRizla said:

I really don't want to wade through this thread, but I have a question. Are we going to see another Pc -VR headset from Oculus in the future, or is it just going to an Oculus Quest that you can tether to a PC from now on? That is the main question I wanted answered at OC6, so can someone tell me if they did answer this question at OC6?

No they did not answer that question, very little talk on the Rift brand.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Some perspectives:

https://youtu.be/_5PQ_gcdOEs

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

dburne said:

RedRizla said:

I really don't want to wade through this thread, but I have a question. Are we going to see another Pc -VR headset from Oculus in the future, or is it just going to an Oculus Quest that you can tether to a PC from now on? That is the main question I wanted answered at OC6, so can someone tell me if they did answer this question at OC6?

Yeah, @dburne - there was a active move to avoid talking about future Rift beyond some Rift-S commentary. And obvious there was the promotion of the prototypes for Half Dome 1/2 and the new 3. There was no Lenovo representation to answer questions, and it seems now that Rift is being pushed to one side as the focus is on Quest. 

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

kevinw729 said:

dburne said:

RedRizla said:

Yeah, @dburne - there was a active move to avoid talking about future Rift beyond some Rift-S commentary. And obvious there was the promotion of the prototypes for Half Dome 1/2 and the new 3. There was no Lenovo representation to answer questions, and it seems now that Rift is being pushed to one side as the focus is on Quest. 

It will be very interesting if Oculus can get the streaming quality using Quest to work so well that most users won't observe any difference to using a non-streaming HMD. Observing some inconsistencies with image quality on oled and lcd hmds, it could be an awesome move for Oculus to get thousands of games designed for oled hmds to work flawlessly on Quest (oled). I believe Oculus cares a lot about quality, and going from CV1 to Quest for PCVR may be a really good idea - again, only if streaming doesn't introduce any noticeable latency or image degradation. Games like Lone Echo and Asgard's Wrath, which benefit a lot from temporal anti-aliasing, may shine much more on the Quest than Rift-S. Also black levels and in-game/app lighting, Quest may make sure that everything designed for CV1 still looks as good as ever. (If 72 Hz are enough for everyone 😉

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"