cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC VIVE Cosmos has launched - specs, reviews and impressions

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Moved this post from another thread - Cosmos deserves its own thread. And Cosmos is out - I kinda like the music, lol:

https://youtu.be/RmI8mLskRXs

https://youtu.be/5vkqM1hhs3A

$700 (includes free 12-month VIVEPORT Infinity membership,worth $99):

https://www.vive.com/us/product/cosmos/

So no phoneVR, but something much better:

Wireless Adapter
Untethered virtual reality is here. Remove cords from the equation. Move freely. Get powerful visual and audio transmission at 60GHz. Featuring Intel® WiGig technology. 
*Sold separately.
Thus untethered is still 90 Hz, but transmission is done at 60 GHz. 

And HTC did what Oculus failed to do - they've added support for external sensors too, this could be the most awesome tracking options ever made - this may also help HTC not getting a lot of criticism in case inside-out isn't working perfectly (like Rift-S in the beginning):

External Tracking Mod
Lighthouse tracking support. Combine the precision of Lighthouse tracking with the flexibility of VIVE Cosmos with this novel mod. Coming soon.
*External Tracking Mod sold separately.
*SteamVR™ compatible base stations and controllers sold separately.
Full specs:

w3q12x108wyk.jpg

Cosmos places itself between Rift-S and Index, probably a very smart move. You can upgrade the tracking to probably be better than Index, but you won't get the Index fov and refresh rates - and you won't get the Knuckles. 

Regarding the hardware Cosmos looks much better than Rift-S, but it's also nearly twice as expensive. And Oculus has a lot of exclusive content. Tracking and controllers may win greatly compared to Reverb, but of course Reverb still has the better res. 

Cosmos res is 33 % higher than Rift-S. And 6% higher than the Index. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

434 REPLIES 434

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Yup agreed, going off Oculus track, my Reverb doesn't feel like Gen 1 visually 😉
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Techy111 said:

Yup agreed, going off Oculus track, my Reverb doesn't feel like Gen 1 visually 😉

Yes, I guess "seeing is believing" 😉

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

kojack said:

It always feels odd to hear people say this is generation 1, when there's been many years of consumer VR headsets before the Rift. It's like saying the PS4 is a generation 1 console.

I think most people would agree that Gen 1 started with the Rift cv1 and Vive OG.  Then followed by WMR.  All systems are still using essentially the same software and while all systems have improved I think it's pretty clear that any headset using this gen 1 software is still gen 1. 

As guys like Zen have said not too long ago in a separate poll thread, VR is really all about software.  Improvements in hardware (headsets and PC spec) are important but they themselves do not make them gen 2 VR imho.  If guys want to think because they have the latest greatest headset that they are gen 2 or higher then they can call them anything they want.  It's not very important to me what others want to call their current VR headsets.  Whatever makes them feel good is ok with me.

If any of you want to debate this subject further, rather than polluting this thread, I think you should start a separate thread and let all the Master-Debaters go for it, lol!  Personally, I will not carry on with the Gen X debate further in this thread.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

TomCgcmfc said:

Personally, I will not carry on with the Gen X debate further in this thread.

Agreed, let's focus on Cosmos. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
I know Zen and I got into it a bit over Cosmos - but I still stand - that if you find a headset that works for you - then good for you:) follow it! Nothing wrong with Pimax, HTC, Vavle, or even Oculus. They all have their weakness and strength and as a customer - we need choice. Granted, I love to see Oculus pull a Pimax and release Half Done 3(4?) soon than later, but that also what makes them different in what your needs can carry with them. Everyone is going to also have their opinions as well - so its cool to listen to them - but as a customer - pick what is going to work for you. Cosmos on paper really looks like a great product - and as I said before - once they fix their current issues - will be a great product for that price range.

In my opinion, at least for hardware, functionality is WAY more important to get right than the over all specs - and that really opens the door all sorts of headsets to come into existing from ugly looking with low price point to beautiful looking with high price points to the everything in between.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
I agree Mradr, the more VR hardware and systems out there the better off all VR users will be.

I’m quietly confident that the current issues with my Cosmos will be sorted out soon and then people can judge for themselves what it is capable of bringing to VR and whether or not it is a good fit for them.

I already have experienced a lot of very positive results with mine.  Especially with flight and racing sims.  I doubt that I will ever use my good old Rift cv1 for those ever again.  In fact I kinda already imagine my Rift collecting dust in the not too distant future.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Techy111
MVP
MVP
I agree @TomCgcmfc my rift is gathering dust. Was going to keep it but now thinking of paying it forward to a newbie.
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

inovator
Consultant

Mradr said:

I know Zen and I got into it a bit over Cosmos - but I still stand - that if you find a headset that works for you - then good for you:) follow it! Nothing wrong with Pimax, HTC, Vavle, or even Oculus. They all have their weakness and strength and as a customer - we need choice. Granted, I love to see Oculus pull a Pimax and release Half Done 3(4?) soon than later, but that also what makes them different in what your needs can carry with them. Everyone is going to also have their opinions as well - so its cool to listen to them - but as a customer - pick what is going to work for you. Cosmos on paper really looks like a great product - and as I said before - once they fix their current issues - will be a great product for that price range.

In my opinion, at least for hardware, functionality is WAY more important to get right than the over all specs - and that really opens the door all sorts of headsets to come into existing from ugly looking with low price point to beautiful looking with high price points to the everything in between.

Even oculus. Wow  I wonder what he meant by that. I'll try not to read into it that much.

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
all vr headsets are phone screens strapped to the persons head near the eyes. if the vr uses something else its still predicated on using a phone screen. in other words all vr headsets are is fancy gear vr units from the reverb to the index to cv1.

strictly speaking about the screen technology and the proximity to the eyes, nothing has changed since the gear vr and google cardboard vr. just the implementation and screen choice.

this is especially true with the quest.

whenever i see a new vr headset they look just like one of the previously released headsets, theyre all stacked up on the gear vr philosophically.

it cant be healthy to have a phone screen or equivalent strapped to the head blasting into the eyes hours at a time everyday.

Anonymous
Not applicable

all vr headsets are phone screens strapped to the persons head near the eyes. if the vr uses something else its still predicated on using a phone screen. in other words all vr headsets are is fancy gear vr units from the reverb to the index to cv1.

Not true at all - the screens used in CV1 and Quest are not cell phone screens. The Rift S does use a type of cell phone screen, but still not really something you will find on one. Actually any headset that uses hardware base IDP adjustment will not be using cell phone screens.

Its more unhealthy to be outside being hit by sun radiation or even looking at it:) so I guess pick your poison:)?

inovator said:

Even oculus. Wow  I wonder what he meant by that. I'll try not to read into it that much.

Nothing to read into it O.o;? I just pick them last as we're on a Oculus form so more than likely you already pick Oculus as a company to be looking at. I am just pointing out all companies have strength and weakness and dont worry about picking the one you like - go for what you want out of VR.