cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asgard's Wrath: the most awesome VR game ever? Reviews & impressions!

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Only 2 days left  ❤️ I think most of the screenshots below are from September 5, but I didn't notice them before today - click to enlarge a screenshot:

cxfbwgm3ddyb.jpgc97q5swddbfq.jpgy8p5jdvtc0m1.jpg5r7dyo2cghlt.jpg
shirm9aoyiv4.jpgi9pwayd5nd6l.jpglcnbwbs0qfcl.jpg39mg7kmetfq6.jpgfg07chbkj5em.jpg9wws5benescc.jpgcer3hs00q51u.jpgduuflf22i4qw.jpghag6rixer1d2.jpgs0bst7th4hx6.jpgp1rocpt70djs.jpgmpdmhrpvco3f.jpgkjl94fprnqe4.jpgmwtax7sumsm8.jpgum6zy5l9yjkb.jpgw0j8km6nqhpt.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

263 REPLIES 263

Wildt
Consultant
I've been running with gfx setting HIGH and resolution one above center, and it's been fine so far. Until last night where I finished the (last?) quest where you're this little guy in the bar fighting in the arena. It ends with you getting the last sword on the shelf. Anywho, the scene where you fight behind the band ran TERRIBLE. Massive stutter when I was facing in the direction of the band and the tavern behind them. Whenever I could, I moved to face the other way and it would run well.

I've also been pushed into the yellow force field wall that pops up when you fight several times now where I got stuck.

And I wanna reiterate that I feel the game does a shitty job of telling me WHY my parry swing didn't work. Good games lets you know what you did wrong, so you feel like you know how to do better next time. I've been "WTF did I do wrong?!" soooo many times. Super frustrating.

The last bit has my verdict down to a 7/10 game now 😞
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

MowTin
Expert Trustee
Mostly your pary fails happen when you block instead of pary or when you get the timing wrong. 

I've become a killing machine. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

andysonofbob
Heroic Explorer
Can I have a link to the discord?
I would like to ask the devs to consider adding surround support for those of use without headphones.  The game's soundscape needs to be fixed if the game detects you are not using headphones.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

JeremyC85 said:

I just wish there wasn't so much combat. Seems like I have to constantly fight ever 2 seconds while exploring. 

Seems like Mortal often is too easy and Legendary too hard - a few times I've decreased the difficulty to Mortal and then set it back to Legendary. I don't care much for the fighting, love the exploration - I'm a hoarder :blush:

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Wildt said:

Massive stutter when I was facing in the direction of the band and the tavern behind them. 

Reverb would explain that, but you're using the CV1?

MowTin
Expert Trustee

RuneSR2 said:

Seems like Mortal often is too easy and Legendary too hard - a few times I've decreased the difficulty to Mortal and then set it back to Legendary. I don't care much for the fighting, love the exploration - I'm a hoarder :blush:

But this is a fighting game. The fighting is the meat of the game. The feeling when you go from getting owned to wrecking them is pretty awesome. 

1. Make sure you leveled up your weapon. 
2. Use a good combat follower and give him frenzy. 
3. Don't rush through the game. Take the time to learn the combat. It will pay off later. 

I spent a ton of time in one tutorial until I felt I really got the hang of it. 

Wildt
Consultant

MowTin said:

Mostly your pary fails happen when you block instead of pary or when you get the timing wrong. 

I've become a killing machine. 

I know the theory of the mechanics. And I feel like I execute what's expected - but I often fail. I don't understand why - time wasted - frustrations grow.

I've suggested this in relation to other VR games. Give me a "what went wrong" slo-mo recap in interactive VR where I can see why my blade swing didn't connect with the blade/knife/arm or whatever object it was supposed to.

Don't let the fucking mechanics of the combat be a trial/error puzzle game as well.

It's not like I generally suck at games that rely on good motion control accuracy/timing (top 50 beatsaber expert and top 70 audica).

Wildt
Consultant

RuneSR2 said:

Wildt said:

Massive stutter when I was facing in the direction of the band and the tavern behind them. 

Reverb would explain that, but you're using the CV1?

CV1 !

MowTin
Expert Trustee

Wildt said:

I know the theory of the mechanics. And I feel like I execute what's expected - but I often fail. I don't understand why - time wasted - frustrations grow.

I've suggested this in relation to other VR games. Give me a "what went wrong" slo-mo recap in interactive VR where I can see why my blade swing didn't connect with the blade/knife/arm or whatever object it was supposed to.

Don't let the fucking mechanics of the combat be a trial/error puzzle game as well.

It's not like I generally suck at games that rely on good motion control accuracy/timing (top 50 beatsaber expert and top 70 audica).

Are you sure you're not trying to parry attacks that cannot be parried? 

At first, that was my biggest problem. My other problem was the timing. Some are delayed attacks so you have to wait and then swing. Some require you to react instantly. 

The bottom line is you have to stop and learn the combat before continuing. They should crated a combat practice room.

I was really frustrated at the beginning but then when another tutorial showed up I didn't leave when the tutorial was done. I kept fighting until I felt I really got it.

But about 1 in 5 parries still miss for Unkown reasons. Maybe tracking. Maybe I was too far. away or awkward angle.

One suggestion is to go back to an area you've cleared. Enemies will respawn and you can use them for practice until you've mastered it.  Don't worry about progression. Focus on learning the mechanics. 

Wildt
Consultant
I appreciate your input. I'm really close to finishing the game, and I'll manage. I know the red attacks from the blue. 
Your comment about timing is probably the issue...  But the game should fucking spell it out for me if I was early or late when I'm left clueless and Frustrated.