New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Asgard's Wrath looks like a winner - reviews & impressions

Comments

• MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,777 Valuable Player
    Mostly your pary fails happen when you block instead of pary or when you get the timing wrong. 

I've become a killing machine. 
    i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
  • andysonofbobandysonofbob Posts: 232
    Nexus 6
    Can I have a link to the discord?
    I would like to ask the devs to consider adding surround support for those of use without headphones.  The game's soundscape needs to be fixed if the game detects you are not using headphones.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,713 Valuable Player
    JeremyC85 said:
    I just wish there wasn't so much combat. Seems like I have to constantly fight ever 2 seconds while exploring. 

Seems like Mortal often is too easy and Legendary too hard - a few times I've decreased the difficulty to Mortal and then set it back to Legendary. I don't care much for the fighting, love the exploration - I'm a hoarder :blush:
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    Wildt said:
    Massive stutter when I was facing in the direction of the band and the tavern behind them. 
    Reverb would explain that, but you're using the CV1?
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

RuneSR2 said:

Seems like Mortal often is too easy and Legendary too hard - a few times I've decreased the difficulty to Mortal and then set it back to Legendary. I don't care much for the fighting, love the exploration - I'm a hoarder :blush:
    But this is a fighting game. The fighting is the meat of the game. The feeling when you go from getting owned to wrecking them is pretty awesome. 

1. Make sure you leveled up your weapon. 
    2. Use a good combat follower and give him frenzy. 
    3. Don't rush through the game. Take the time to learn the combat. It will pay off later. 

I spent a ton of time in one tutorial until I felt I really got the hang of it. 
  • WildtWildt Posts: 2,072 Valuable Player
    MowTin said:
    Mostly your pary fails happen when you block instead of pary or when you get the timing wrong. 

I've become a killing machine. 
    I know the theory of the mechanics. And I feel like I execute what's expected - but I often fail. I don't understand why - time wasted - frustrations grow.

I've suggested this in relation to other VR games. Give me a "what went wrong" slo-mo recap in interactive VR where I can see why my blade swing didn't connect with the blade/knife/arm or whatever object it was supposed to.

Don't let the fucking mechanics of the combat be a trial/error puzzle game as well.

It's not like I generally suck at games that rely on good motion control accuracy/timing (top 50 beatsaber expert and top 70 audica).
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
    RuneSR2 said:
    Wildt said:
    Massive stutter when I was facing in the direction of the band and the tavern behind them. 
    CV1 !
    Wildt said:

I know the theory of the mechanics. And I feel like I execute what's expected - but I often fail. I don't understand why - time wasted - frustrations grow.

I've suggested this in relation to other VR games. Give me a "what went wrong" slo-mo recap in interactive VR where I can see why my blade swing didn't connect with the blade/knife/arm or whatever object it was supposed to.

Don't let the fucking mechanics of the combat be a trial/error puzzle game as well.

It's not like I generally suck at games that rely on good motion control accuracy/timing (top 50 beatsaber expert and top 70 audica).
    Are you sure you're not trying to parry attacks that cannot be parried? 

At first, that was my biggest problem. My other problem was the timing. Some are delayed attacks so you have to wait and then swing. Some require you to react instantly. 

The bottom line is you have to stop and learn the combat before continuing. They should crated a combat practice room.

I was really frustrated at the beginning but then when another tutorial showed up I didn't leave when the tutorial was done. I kept fighting until I felt I really got it.

But about 1 in 5 parries still miss for Unkown reasons. Maybe tracking. Maybe I was too far. away or awkward angle.

One suggestion is to go back to an area you've cleared. Enemies will respawn and you can use them for practice until you've mastered it.  Don't worry about progression. Focus on learning the mechanics. 
    I appreciate your input. I'm really close to finishing the game, and I'll manage. I know the red attacks from the blue. 
    Your comment about timing is probably the issue...  But the game should fucking spell it out for me if I was early or late when I'm left clueless and Frustrated. 
    I just found out you can heal yourself in the menu. I've been using the belt menu in real-time. It's much more fun and difficult to drink a health potion while in the middle of combat. It's too easy to just pause and heal up every time you get low

edited October 19
    Here're the plans for the first patches, TAA switch might be included in patch 2 (but not the first patch):

Asgard's Wrath Patch Preview

We wanted to share a preview of the items that we're currently working on.

These are subject to change. We will let you know when we have a release window identified.

Just because something isn't on here doesn't mean we aren't considering it / looking into it.

Thank you for the amazing reception so far. We want to continue to support the game and you guys!

Asgard’s Wrath Patch 1

Combat

• Remove sword throws from enraging enemies.

• Remove rage meter reset after parry miss. Deduct rage incrementally. Follower attacks on stunned enemies adhere to the same rules.

o Rank 1 – deduct .25 of the rage meter.

o Rank 2 – deduct .25 of the rage meter.

o Rank 3 – deduct .25 of the rage meter.

o Rank 4 – deduct .50 of the rage meter.

o Rank 5 – deduct .50 of the rage meter.

• Add small, incremental amounts of rage to enemy meters using all attacks.

• Update followers to not interfere/interrupt enemy signature and lethal attacks.

• Update owl follower super attack to stun enemies for a shorter amount of time.

• Update enemies with lower health to enrage faster.

• Update mortal and legendary difficulties with less frequent shield bashing.

• Improve load times after dying.

• Investigate and validate consistent haptics across all combat interactions.

Inventory

• Remove ability to sell preorder Valkyrie gear.

Controls

• Correct mortal scale & god scale to be consistent with head facing movement off.

• Update bow engagement to eliminate bow juggling.

UI/HUD

• Display the numerical value alongside/within the resolution slider.

• Correct weapon status to not display in no HUD/immersive mode.

• Add character icons in the quest log for the End of the Line quest.

• After x amount of deaths, display wrath difficulty options and 

descriptions.

Audio

• Update default volume to be 85% versus 50%.

Settings

• Improve/refine PC default settings.

Various bug fixes

-----

Asgard’s Wrath Patch 2 – Incomplete Preview

• Combat

o Add real-time versus stopped time belt menu option in settings.

o Mortal and legendary modes default to stopped time belt menu option.

o Wrath mode defaults to real-time belt menu option.

• Controls

o Add left-handed control mapping in settings.

o Add point to steer control in settings.

o Add god speed control in settings.

• Settings

o Add advanced graphics settings menu.

-----

Other things we are investigating (TBD when/if they happen)…

o Decreasing load times using HDD.

o Decreasing the size of the download.

o Add sprint outside of combat.

Reply directly to Oculus here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/djvojy/asgards_wrath_patch_preview/

Remember, until otherwise proven - patching Asgard's Wrath may require 150GB free space on your hard-drive. 

• JeremyC85JeremyC85 Posts: 264
    Nexus 6
    Any idea when said patches will release? 
    Add sprint outside of combat.

YAY!

edited October 19
    JeremyC85 said:
    Any idea when said patches will release? 
    No, patch 1 seems like minor changes besides reduced loading times when you die, it will probably arrive soon. Like that default sound volume changed from 50 to 85 %, lol, should just be 100% to match vol set in Dash.

I pre-ordered the game, do I have some Valkyrie stuff I can sell??  :o 

Wildt said:
    RuneSR2 said:
    Wildt said:
    CV1 !
    One notch res slider above middle should be ss 1.1 (max is 120% according to some Reddit dude), if you have gtx/rtx 1080+ game should be smooth as butter but quite blurry. Forget the ingame res slider and give this game some dedicated Oculus Tray Tool love ;) I'm using ss 1.8 and might not be getting solid 90 fps, but ASW2 is my friend, lol.
    Severe stuttering at the end may indicate less quality control and balancing were performed, might make sense with a game this size and deadlines...

edited October 19
    Wildt said:
    Add sprint outside of combat.

YAY!

Some UK reviewer bombed the Metascore with an 80% rating, I think he wanted available options for teleport controls, sigh... Maybe I should send him some meds for motion sickness and ask for a 10% score upgrade  o:)  :D  

edited October 19
    Seems like I did get some free stuff by pre-ordering:

"If you pre-order it, you’ll get two exclusive in-game bonuses: the Valkyrie Blade and Shield."

https://360rumors.com/dont-miss-asgards-wrath-oculus-rift-pre-order-bonus/

Nice ;)

PS. I've pre-ordered Stormland too  o:)  :D "Stormland is also available for preorder now, retailing for $39.99 on Oculus Store. Anyone who pre-orders will receive an exclusive Oculus Home statue to display in their digital home."

I like statues in my home :blush:

Ah, just found it - never cared to look in there because I was sure it was empty, double-sigh :blush:

"In the Tavern, check the chest in the store room where the shop and monkey are. There was a Valkyrie Sword and Shield in there."

• JoeManji08JoeManji08 Posts: 148
    Art3mis
    I am absolutely enjoying this game, but there are two aspects of combat that are very frustrating to me.

1: The angle of swords being held in your hands.  Unlike games like Beat Saber, for example, the handle of the touch controller (on Rift-S) does not line up with the handle of the sword.  Instead, the sword (or whatever weapon being held) seems to be angled back by about 20 - 30 degrees.  This makes me have to awkwardly point my wrist forward/down to get the weapon arc I'm looking for. 

2: The extremely jarring kick-back that every enemy does.  I'm not against having a mechanic to avoid letting players walk right up to the enemy to easily attack, but I have two major problems with the mechanic as implemented.  First, it seems to happen at way too high a distance -- as in every time I'm just barely close enough to reach with my sword.  I end up having to take one swing at a time and then instantly walk/dodge backwards to stop it from happening.  The second problem is that it always resets my view when I don't dodge it, which is extremely disorienting and uncomfortable.

Does anybody else feel the same way about either of those issues, and have you been able to find a work-around?
  • JeremyC85JeremyC85 Posts: 264
    Nexus 6
    Yes, the kick back thing is annoying.. But above in the patch notes, it is listed as one of the things they are changing: reducing frequency of being shield bashed 
    edited October 19
    The Valkyrie sword and shield are awesome - the shield is unbreakable. I sat down in the sun and just stared at the sword and the shield, the attention to detail is really impressive, must have taken hours to make these textures. I was somewhat annoyed by not getting just 10% cheaper price when pre-ordering, - but all is forgiven after holding and using the sword and shield. Damage by the sword is 40, so it's not that powerful - and of the limited use when finding it like 30 minutes before meeting Tyr, lol. 

Btw - I finally found out one way to see the difference between High and Epic  :o  :D  After many hours of investigation, this is what I've found:

Low: Several objects are missing in the game world (grass, some cliffs, cloth including animation), no dynamic shadows. 
    Medium: All objects are included, but no dynamic shadows on characters or cloth animations.
    High: All objects included, dynamic shadows on characters, but no shadows on cloth animations.
    Epic: All objects included, dynamic shadows on  characters and on cloth animations. 

One cloth animation can be seen on the first beach - there's a stranded Viking ship with a torn sail. The torn sail only casts a shadow on the ground when using Epic setting. The sail shadow is most easily seen in God mode. Dynamic shadows using High or Epic are only seen in bright light like sunlight - a lit torch is not enough (thus there're no dynamic shadows in the Tavern). I'm thinking that most people will never notice the difference between Medium and Epic, apart from the performance, because most often you can't see any difference. If you got performance problems, just use Medium - or use the extra performance to increase super sampling. 

BTW, I successfully smacked one Touch controller into the wall tonight (Tyr 1 - 0 Rune  :s ) - and then did more or less the same with the CV1 hmd  :# Still nothing happened  o:) - I guess Oculus build this stuff like German tiger tanks back then  :D  

But do be careful with this game - it's very easy to lose orientation in the real world - also the Guardian System isn't always fast enough to react.

I am absolutely enjoying this game, but there are two aspects of combat that are very frustrating to me.

1: The angle of swords being held in your hands.  Unlike games like Beat Saber, for example, the handle of the touch controller (on Rift-S) does not line up with the handle of the sword.  Instead, the sword (or whatever weapon being held) seems to be angled back by about 20 - 30 degrees.  This makes me have to awkwardly point my wrist forward/down to get the weapon arc I'm looking for. 

2: The extremely jarring kick-back that every enemy does.  I'm not against having a mechanic to avoid letting players walk right up to the enemy to easily attack, but I have two major problems with the mechanic as implemented.  First, it seems to happen at way too high a distance -- as in every time I'm just barely close enough to reach with my sword.  I end up having to take one swing at a time and then instantly walk/dodge backwards to stop it from happening.  The second problem is that it always resets my view when I don't dodge it, which is extremely disorienting and uncomfortable.

Does anybody else feel the same way about either of those issues, and have you been able to find a work-around?

1. I never noticed the angle. I notice that the angle between the ring and the stem is different for my Rift and my Rift-S. Which one are you using? 

2. My view doesn't get reset very often. I think in a real fencing match you would need to constantly keep your distance so maybe that was the intention.  

The parrying changes a bit if you're dealing with a guy bigger than you or when you are bigger than the enemies. The timing is crucial and can be brutally hard especially those enemies that poke you.  

RuneSR2 said:
    Here're the plans for the first patches, TAA switch might be included in patch 2 (but not the first patch):

• Combat

o Add real-time versus stopped time belt menu option in settings.

o Mortal and legendary modes default to stopped time belt menu option.

o Wrath mode defaults to real-time belt menu option.

Reply directly to Oculus here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/djvojy/asgards_wrath_patch_preview/

Remember, until otherwise proven - patching Asgard's Wrath may require 150GB free space on your hard-drive. 
    I think Wrath mode should only allow real-time belt menu. It's the hardest setting. And it should prevent people for healing in the menu. It's way too cheap to just pause the game and heal. You should heal in real-time. That's how I do it. Makes the game more fun and challenging. Otherwise, you can die. Just pause and heal whenever you're low. The craft lots of potions by buying ingredients. 

• andysonofbobandysonofbob Posts: 232
    Nexus 6
    I suck at combat. 
    How do you guys manage juggling multiple foes with armour? I got well and truly spanked by that tree dude's challenge minions when I explored the starter area as soon as it was reinvigorated.
    I struggle to manage lvl 5 and lvl 3 especially when there are others in the fray too. 
    I tend to explore, should I be following the main quest until I have more health etc?
    I currently have 3 helpers, who do you use in combat?
    Thanks! 
  • saami81saami81 Posts: 163
    Art3mis
    Main quest done. Took me about 26 hours. Doing side quests and challenges now.

Im wondering how deep the crafting tree goes, because i have crafted 2 full armor sets for Risi and there is atleast one more set to go. I guess that all heroes have same amount of sets.

I rate this game 4/5. PS. Ending was a real surprise. I didnt see that coming and end credits were fun :)
  • OLIX13OLIX13 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Seriously, what can we do to have a translation of the game ? What happened to Lone Echo to have a full translation in an update?
  • JoeManji08JoeManji08 Posts: 148
    Art3mis
    MowTin said:

1. I never noticed the angle. I notice that the angle between the ring and the stem is different for my Rift and my Rift-S. Which one are you using? 

2. My view doesn't get reset very often. I think in a real fencing match you would need to constantly keep your distance so maybe that was the intention.  

The parrying changes a bit if you're dealing with a guy bigger than you or when you are bigger than the enemies. The timing is crucial and can be brutally hard especially those enemies that poke you.  

I am using the Rift-S now.  But I'm going to install it on my older CV1 PC just to compare and see if it's any different.  That's a good point about the tracking rings being angled differently from the handle on the two different types of controllers, and the difference is close to the offset I'm seeing in-game...  But I would be really surprised if the devs didn't account for that.

It's not just requiring me to keep some distance -- it's happening every time I'm within a full extension reach with the tip of a normal length sword (like the triggered distance is way too far).  With the emphasis on parrying in the game, surely they don't intend for me to stay out of reach all the time, right?  But the lack of complaints about it from other people makes me think it's either a bug with my setup or me doing something wrong lol.
    I suck at combat. 
    How do you guys manage juggling multiple foes with armour? I got well and truly spanked by that tree dude's challenge minions when I explored the starter area as soon as it was reinvigorated.
    I struggle to manage lvl 5 and lvl 3 especially when there are others in the fray too. 
    I tend to explore, should I be following the main quest until I have more health etc?
    I currently have 3 helpers, who do you use in combat?
    Thanks! 

1. Always upgrade your main weapons and followers as soon as possible. 

In the early part of the game, you need to upgrade your ax. When its charged it will stun an armored opponent allowing you to then break its armor. 

Some companions are better for combat. Give your companion Frency when you have multiple shielded opponents. Especially sharky. He will break shields and slaughter them if they only have one shield. 

With multiple opponents, I try to take out the weakest guys first. Usually, there are some unshielded guys there. 
    edited October 20
    Make sure not to get too far away from where your foes have spawned when there isn't that circular yellow force field around the combat area. I just worked the runic armor off a foe, and he then disappeared because I I back-pedalled too far. When I got back to the spot he re-spawned WITH runic armor :angry: