New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Comments

• MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,801 Valuable Player
    Looks like a dog headed to the pound to me!
    WAAAGH!
  • parsecnparsecn Posts: 133
    Art3mis
    It looks like Valve has updated the Safety pdf at some point which now mentions more counties. Namely they mention Canada, Australia & New Zealand in regards to warranty! 

https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/store/valve_index/ValveIndexSafetyAndMaintenanceInfo.pdf

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 6,550 Valuable Player
    edited October 2019
    Boneworks is close to being ready for launch:

Boneworks looks like a nice semi-empty but slightly advanced tech demo - looks like a physics simulator in a Half-Life like environment. Love to be wrong and find a great singleplayer adventure in Boneworks. Still, and especially compared to Asgard's Wrath, Boneworks seems like an insect up against a real dragon, lol. I have a hard time understanding why so many users on Index Reddit care so much for Boneworks compared to Asgard's Wrath. I guess they're all angry about Oculus keeping the good stuff locked away... although it really isn't... Sigh... Interesting if Boneworks gets a Metascore above 80, if it gets a Metascore at all... 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    PS. Ok, maybe Boneworks does have a story... and more content than that:

"Story: Play through the game's mysterious narrative and explore the deep inner workings of the Monogon Industries' artificial intelligence operating system; Myth OS." (Does sound kinda like a weak story)

And:

Currently it's not a game I care much about - but I love surprises, maybe it's much better than I think, and the game is designed for the Index. Hardware requirements are similar to Asgard's Wrath - recommended i7 7700K, GTX 1080, 16GB ram. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

edited October 2019
    Still going strong ;) (Hint: check number 4)

Hmmm, maybe I should send Valve some ideas for new commercials... Like:

Image result for borg you will be assimilated

Or maybe better... 

Image result for we break for nobody

Then again, Valve has no Asgard's Wrath and no cheap Quest... 

Pistol Whip now has a release date, namely November 7! 

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1079800/Pistol_Whip/

Then again, who cares, Asgard's Wrath will at least dominate my time in VR for a very long time... Pistol Whip could be a nice exercise, through, when occasionally needing a break from Asgard's Wrath, lol - Here's Index gameplay (previously posted in a different thread by Nalex):

- and some screenshots:

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,558 Valuable Player
    Hmmm on rails super hot, not so excited.
    Fun thing - my 11-year old son and I talked about him trying Asgard's Wrath today - and then he asked if he could use Knuckles with the CV1, because he liked Knuckles much more than Touch. Actually Knuckles fit him perfectly even if his hands are smaller than mine:

The usual gossip - but just maybe there's some truth to it, I'm starting to believe:

RuneSR2 said:
    More cyberpiloting in Wolfie - officially this game does not support the Rift - but I'm convinced that Valve Index will be supported  ;) Game launches July 26 (in 6 weeks) - for $20.

For the next 2 days, Cyberpilot is on sale for just $9.99 - it's a great game for that price even including its flaws. Get it here:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1056970/Wolfenstein_Cyberpilot/

edited October 2019
    Sebastian had to go through a lot of trouble, but now has gotten perfectly working Index controllers (Knuckles) and he now considers Knuckles for the very best VR controllers you can get, more here:

• parsecnparsecn Posts: 133
    Art3mis
    RuneSR2 said:
    Sebastian had to go through a lot of trouble, but now has gotten perfectly working Index controllers (Knuckles) and he now considers Knuckles for the very best VR controllers you can get

How are you (personally) going with the click situation @RuneSR2? Have you needed to RMA, or? Any drift or other defects? Also, in your opinion as I know you are deep into the Index community, what percentage of Knuckles users do you think have been affected? Are we hearing from a vocal minority, or does this affect everyone to various degrees and some don't complain (or RMA) because they don't require a click based on their game library or control style.
  • WildtWildt Posts: 2,297 Valuable Player
    parsecn said:
    RuneSR2 said:
    Sebastian had to go through a lot of trouble, but now has gotten perfectly working Index controllers (Knuckles) and he now considers Knuckles for the very best VR controllers you can get

How are you (personally) going with the click situation @RuneSR2? Have you needed to RMA, or? Any drift or other defects? Also, in your opinion as I know you are deep into the Index community, what percentage of Knuckles users do you think have been affected? Are we hearing from a vocal minority, or does this affect everyone to various degrees and some don't complain (or RMA) because they don't require a click based on their game library or control style.
    I just survived watching the first 3 minutes of the video, and then read the comments. That's the first I've heard about stick drift. 
    Valve sure makes it seem like thumsticks are REALLY hard to do. :lol:
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
    edited October 2019
    parsecn said:
    RuneSR2 said:

I have not needed to RMA, but maybe I use my Knuckles less than other users - or am more careful, although I have been banging them into a wall, lol. Drift issues may suddenly occur, so not sure anything is completely safe, but you can just RMA and I've got 2 years of warranty in the EU. About 2 months ago there was a poll where about 50% had problems, maybe that's not unrealistic although persons with problems may be more inclined to participate in a poll. It does seem like the clicking problems are fixed, but some have experienced drifting problems using fully clicking Knuckles after a few weeks. Still I think it's a minor issue compared to a life without the Index. 

My most annoying problem was the columns, but Valve has now implemented column correction (new firmware required), so you can choose values from -10 to 10 (20 steps) for each eye.

edited October 2019
    Note the SDE using the Index often is described as completely gone, which may require some explanation. SDE may be caused by several factors, namely the physical pixels and especially the spaces between them. This is the real physical SDE that never can be changed. Then there're the columns, probably made up of a vertical lines of pixels, and when moving fast I guess you could say that even numbered columns could get a slightly weaker color than uneven numbered columns creating a sort of striped pattern (in contrast to CV1, this form of SDE is only seen when moving, never when you stand still). This may be very subtle and not all users may notice it. A similar phenomenon has been described on Rift-S and may be caused by the lcd tech. But using Valve's new firmware column correction can be applied to make the stripes disappear or to minimize them.
    Then there's also some faint horizontal lines not always visible, probably an artifact done by the lenses. And you can see a faint dot pattern in some colors like red and orange, probably part of the lcd tech - this is an even pattern, not dead nor faulty pixels.
    Many persons may never notice any of the above, but my vision is razor-sharp, I can see even individual pixels in the Index hmd if I make an effort to do so, lol.
    The horizonal lines are extremely faint like described, and when column correction is set optimally, vertical SDE due to the columns aren't more noticeable than the horizonal SDE. And I don't notice it in games. 

CV1 SDE is like 20 times worse than the above, my point being that no HMD is perfect, still Index is very close to perfection when set up optimally.

This post was written on my phone, in case of spelling errors blame Samsung ;-)

edited October 2019
    I’ve never noticed the column problem but I have noticed the black dots on red colours maybe 2 or 3 times in total since getting the headset. A non issue for me at least.
    Yup, same goes for the rest (maybe) - I'm just describing everything I've ever noticed for SDE, no matter how small and insignificant it may be. 

I guess SDE, basically, is simply everything that we may notice in an image reminding us that we're looking at a screen.

Maybe a small forgotten gem that needs more attention? The game does smell quite Valve-ish :D - it works on Index, Rift and Vive:

Earlier teasers:

Get it here Oct 24 (only 200MB, runs fine on GTX 980/1060):

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1064160/Holoception/

Some shots:

Borderlands 2 VR just got full Index support  <3

https://store.steampowered.com/app/991260/Borderlands_2_VR/

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,665 Valuable Player
    edited October 2019
    Too bad flight sims like xp11 have not provided 5 degree canted support yet.  Hopefully they will do this soon.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

edited October 2019
    I've been sort of rediscovering CV1 the last days, and I get increasingly convinced that it's great to have both the CV1 and the Index connected to the same rig.
    CV1 is special because it has similar perfect tracking like the Index - and CV1 has oled displays, awesome sound and about 99% of games in the Oculus Store were directly designed for CV1. The original Touch controllers are by many still considered the best Touch controllers available, and batteries may last a month - or longer. 

Using Index in several old games (including Arizona Sunshine) often reveals their flaws and weaknesses like low-res textures and maybe limited polys, while CV1 creates a sort of magical cover up making low res textures look much more high res and sharper. The CV1 SDE causes rather large black spaces between lines of pixels where your brain fills in the blanks, lol. - Like scanlines in MAME - and old CRT screens - the CV1 SDE creates some illusion of higher res than you have. This also means that temporal antialiasing (TAA) used in games like Asgard's Wrath and Lone Echo makes these games look perfect on the CV1, because all/most jaggies are gone and TAA has very little impact on performance. In comparison TAA looks very blurry and reduces image quality and presence on new high-res lcd hmds.  

Having native Oculus driver support should not be underestimated - some months ago (before I got the Index) I got Job Simulator on Steam, but refunded because I didn't get solid 90 fps using ss 2.0 (on the CV1). Today I bought the game in the Oculus Store, but now I get solid 90 fps ss 2.0! (Still comparing CV1.) So same game runs much better on the CV1 when bought in the Oculus Store. I experienced the same first buying Trover on Steam and then in the Oculus Store, the performance difference felt like upgrading my 1080 to 2080 Ti, and I'm not trying to be funny. 
    For very demanding games like Asgard's Wrath - and maybe Stormland - I'm not convinced there's anything better than CV1 at the moment. Robinson The Journey is maybe the best examples of a game that looks just perfect using CV1 ss 2.0 and TAA, but looks so bad on the Index that I'm simply not going to play it using the Index. Crytek used a lot of tricks to make Robinson shine on CV1, like reducing background quality, which you cannot see using the CV1 - but Index reveals everything - and it ruins that game. 
    Besides performance reasons, oled blacks are sometimes what you need in certain games - again I think Asgard's Wrath is a nice example of a game that shines on an oled screen. 

Index will be greatly superior in games designed to take advantage of high-res lcd screens. Or for (simple) games where you can crank up super sampling a lot. Bright games with no or limited textures like Lucky's Tale also look *much* better on the Index than CV1, so it's not like all of the old games look better on CV1. Wilson's Heart and Chronos look awesome on the Index, but Mage's Tales looks much better on CV1, primarily because the textures look more low-res and fake on the Index, while everything shines and looks real on the CV1 - also due to the deep oled blacks. Scary games like Affected The Manor are like totally ruined on lcd hmds, you need oled for the pitch-black horror games: 

One dev wrote that you need 4K texture res for the 2nd gen lcd hmds, while 2K was fine for the original 1st gen (CV1 and Vive). CV1 is still a great solution for most VR games that don't use very high-res textures, actually even including Asgard's Wrath (textures in that game look 2K-ish at best). 
    Although Quest (=oled) with Oculus Link may soon replace the CV1 completely, CV1 is still a great choice for those who already own CV1 and don't plan on buying Quest - maybe because they rather save up for a high-res lcd hmd (Index, Reverb, Cosmos etc.). 

In short - don't throw out your old oled HMD, or sell it for scraps, it may still be of great value!

• kojackkojack Posts: 6,794 Volunteer Moderator

TomCgcmfc said:
    Too bad flight sims like xp11 have not provided 5 degree canted support yet.  Hopefully they will do this soon.
    Any Oculus game build to SDK 1.18 or above would automatically support that, if Oculus ever released a headset with canted screens (and the developers didn't intentionally do things the wrong way by ignoring the eye transforms). :)

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Oculus Forum Tool,  Phantom Touch Remover,  Forum Dark Mode,  X-Plane Fixer
    Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
    Headsets: DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest
    @RuneSR2, how are you managing your Index/Rift cv1 on your PC.  I have currently uninstalled my cv1 so I can fully test out my new Cosmos.  I did reinstall Oculus software to try out Revive but I did not get very good results because of the poor Cosmos controller compatibility so I would like to reinstall my cv1.  Thanks mate.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

edited October 2019
    TomCgcmfc said:
    @RuneSR2, how are you managing your Index/Rift cv1 on your PC.  I have currently uninstalled my cv1 so I can fully test out my new Cosmos.  I did reinstall Oculus software to try out Revive but I did not get very good results because of the poor Cosmos controller compatibility so I would like to reinstall my cv1.  Thanks mate.

Reading so much about problems connecting Rift-S I've been a bit worried about deactivating the CV1, but so far it hasn't been a problem. Seems like you more or less can remove at least the CV1 usb connection much like you add or remove an USB flashdrive, lol. So insert the CV1 usb and it'll show connected in the Oculus Desktop app - and disconnected when you remove it. 

I have a special usb-c 3.1 Gen2 "VR Ready" port on my motherboard - maybe most of us do - so I bought this solution:

Here I can turn off an usb port when I don't want it active (much easier than having to find an unplug the cable at the back of the rig). My CV1 is now plugged in the usb 3 hub and I turn it off when I use the Index. Index is always connected and never deactivated, but is only active when SteamVR has started. 
    One problem may be to use CV1 in SteamVR, because then you'd have two active HMDs competing, so I never start SteamVR when CV1 is active. I only use CV1 for games bought in the Oculus Store. And I only use Index for games bought on Steam. This way the HMDs are completely separated - CV1 for native Oculus, Index for SteamVR. This was my plan already when buying Index, because I never was a great fan of how SteamVR worked when using CV1. With Index I got native driver support in Steam games. And you can revive Oculus games inside SteamVR if needed. 
    To use CV1 in SteamVR, then Cosmos/Index should first be disconnected - but I have not tried that since some had problems getting Index working correctly and I'm not going to risk creating problems. This isn't a problem, because I can't think of any SteamVR game where I'd want to use CV1 instead of Index. 
    Having Index connected when starting Oculus Home is a not problem, the Oculus software doesn't recognize the Index at all - and the Index doesn't react to the Oculus desktop app when SteamVR is running. 

In short - activate the CV1 usb when you want to use Oculus software - leave Cosmos constantly connected and only use Cosmos for SteamVR. 

Using my GTX 1080, Index and my plasma TV are connected to display ports, while CV1 is connected to HDMI - I never unplug these cables. I never unplug or deactivate the 3 CV1 external sensors. 

That sounds like a good plan mate!  Many thanks for all that.  Cheers.

TomCgcmfc said:
    That sounds like a good plan mate!  Many thanks for all that.  Cheers.

You're more than welcome, let me know if something doesn't work. BTW, been spending most of my time in CV1 the last week because of Asgard's Wrath - I think it adds to our quality of life having more HMD options, lol. Also like having a VR back-up plan if one HMD should fail ;) Or just having the ability to enjoy the best of both worlds without needing two rigs. 
    After having used Index for several months, at first it was really hard adapting to the CV1 in Asgard's Wrath - now I've gotten used to CV1 again, and I love the feeling of nostalgia using CV1 - and Oculus Home starts a lot quicker than SteamVR.

• dburnedburne Posts: 4,071 Valuable Player
    Do you have a link or model/brand of that Hub?
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    edited October 2019
    dburne said:
    I got this one - I think you can find a lot of similar products on eBay or Amazon:

https://www.av-cables.dk/usb-c-3-1-hub/usb-c-3-1-hub-switch-4-x-3-0-usb-4-ports-sort.html

RuneSR2 said:
    dburne said:
    I got this one - I think you can find a lot of similar products on eBay or Amazon:

https://www.av-cables.dk/usb-c-3-1-hub/usb-c-3-1-hub-switch-4-x-3-0-usb-4-ports-sort.html
    Ok thanks for the link.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    dburne said:
    RuneSR2 said:
    dburne said:

Ok thanks for the link.
    You're welcone - btw, if you just need a switch for CV1, you may of course not need a type-c hub, but can just get a normal type-a hub. If you plan to connect more devices than CV1 to the hub, then - maybe - type-c can have advantages. Usb 3.0 type-a can provide up to 4.5 watts (900mA x 5V), so some USB 3.0 type-a hubs include cables for external power, which I'd rather avoid.
    The great thing about usb-c Gen2 is that it's capable of delivering a massive 100 watts of power (5A, 20V) and a massive 10 Gbit/s (type-a is 50% of that) - so using such "VR Ready" type-c Gen2 ports may provide more than enough power and bandwidth even if connecting several usb 3.0 devices to the hub.

I used type-c for the hub because I only have 2 VR-Ready ports on my motherboard, one type-a and one type-c, and Index uses type-a (for what it's worth I like to use the MSI certified VR-Ready ports for the HMDs). The rest of my usb3-a-ports on the back of my rig are taken by the CV1 sensors. 

Thanks, main reason I might pick one up is just for convenience sake in being able to turn the USB off easily.
    Don