New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,730 Valuable Player
    edited October 20
    TomCgcmfc said:
    @RuneSR2, how are you managing your Index/Rift cv1 on your PC.  I have currently uninstalled my cv1 so I can fully test out my new Cosmos.  I did reinstall Oculus software to try out Revive but I did not get very good results because of the poor Cosmos controller compatibility so I would like to reinstall my cv1.  Thanks mate.

Reading so much about problems connecting Rift-S I've been a bit worried about deactivating the CV1, but so far it hasn't been a problem. Seems like you more or less can remove at least the CV1 usb connection much like you add or remove an USB flashdrive, lol. So insert the CV1 usb and it'll show connected in the Oculus Desktop app - and disconnected when you remove it. 

I have a special usb-c 3.1 Gen2 "VR Ready" port on my motherboard - maybe most of us do - so I bought this solution:

Here I can turn off an usb port when I don't want it active (much easier than having to find an unplug the cable at the back of the rig). My CV1 is now plugged in the usb 3 hub and I turn it off when I use the Index. Index is always connected and never deactivated, but is only active when SteamVR has started. 
    One problem may be to use CV1 in SteamVR, because then you'd have two active HMDs competing, so I never start SteamVR when CV1 is active. I only use CV1 for games bought in the Oculus Store. And I only use Index for games bought on Steam. This way the HMDs are completely separated - CV1 for native Oculus, Index for SteamVR. This was my plan already when buying Index, because I never was a great fan of how SteamVR worked when using CV1. With Index I got native driver support in Steam games. And you can revive Oculus games inside SteamVR if needed. 
    To use CV1 in SteamVR, then Cosmos/Index should first be disconnected - but I have not tried that since some had problems getting Index working correctly and I'm not going to risk creating problems. This isn't a problem, because I can't think of any SteamVR game where I'd want to use CV1 instead of Index. 
    Having Index connected when starting Oculus Home is a not problem, the Oculus software doesn't recognize the Index at all - and the Index doesn't react to the Oculus desktop app when SteamVR is running. 

In short - activate the CV1 usb when you want to use Oculus software - leave Cosmos constantly connected and only use Cosmos for SteamVR. 

Using my GTX 1080, Index and my plasma TV are connected to display ports, while CV1 is connected to HDMI - I never unplug these cables. I never unplug or deactivate the 3 CV1 external sensors. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,463
    Project 2501
    That sounds like a good plan mate!  Many thanks for all that.  Cheers.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors. Vive Cosmos, currently work in progress.

TomCgcmfc said:

You're more than welcome, let me know if something doesn't work. BTW, been spending most of my time in CV1 the last week because of Asgard's Wrath - I think it adds to our quality of life having more HMD options, lol. Also like having a VR back-up plan if one HMD should fail ;) Or just having the ability to enjoy the best of both worlds without needing two rigs. 
    After having used Index for several months, at first it was really hard adapting to the CV1 in Asgard's Wrath - now I've gotten used to CV1 again, and I love the feeling of nostalgia using CV1 - and Oculus Home starts a lot quicker than SteamVR.
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• dburnedburne Posts: 2,775 Valuable Player
    Do you have a link or model/brand of that Hub?
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    edited October 20
    dburne said:
    I got this one - I think you can find a lot of similar products on eBay or Amazon:

https://www.av-cables.dk/usb-c-3-1-hub/usb-c-3-1-hub-switch-4-x-3-0-usb-4-ports-sort.html

RuneSR2 said:
    dburne said:
    I got this one - I think you can find a lot of similar products on eBay or Amazon:

https://www.av-cables.dk/usb-c-3-1-hub/usb-c-3-1-hub-switch-4-x-3-0-usb-4-ports-sort.html
    Ok thanks for the link.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    dburne said:
    RuneSR2 said:
    dburne said:

Ok thanks for the link.
    You're welcone - btw, if you just need a switch for CV1, you may of course not need a type-c hub, but can just get a normal type-a hub. If you plan to connect more devices than CV1 to the hub, then - maybe - type-c can have advantages. Usb 3.0 type-a can provide up to 4.5 watts (900mA x 5V), so some USB 3.0 type-a hubs include cables for external power, which I'd rather avoid.
    The great thing about usb-c Gen2 is that it's capable of delivering a massive 100 watts of power (5A, 20V) and a massive 10 Gbit/s (type-a is 50% of that) - so using such "VR Ready" type-c Gen2 ports may provide more than enough power and bandwidth even if connecting several usb 3.0 devices to the hub.

I used type-c for the hub because I only have 2 VR-Ready ports on my motherboard, one type-a and one type-c, and Index uses type-a (for what it's worth I like to use the MSI certified VR-Ready ports for the HMDs). The rest of my usb3-a-ports on the back of my rig are taken by the CV1 sensors. 

Thanks, main reason I might pick one up is just for convenience sake in being able to turn the USB off easily.
    Don

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,463
    Project 2501
    RuneSR2 said:
    TomCgcmfc said:

You're more than welcome, let me know if something doesn't work. BTW, been spending most of my time in CV1 the last week because of Asgard's Wrath - I think it adds to our quality of life having more HMD options, lol. Also like having a VR back-up plan if one HMD should fail ;) Or just having the ability to enjoy the best of both worlds without needing two rigs. 
    After having used Index for several months, at first it was really hard adapting to the CV1 in Asgard's Wrath - now I've gotten used to CV1 again, and I love the feeling of nostalgia using CV1 - and Oculus Home starts a lot quicker than SteamVR.

Thanks for all the dual headset tips mate.  Everything is working very well.  Thanks to the Cosmos link box on/off button and OTT I have even managed to just leave my cv1 plugged in.  Using OTT (which I have not used for ages) works great because it lets me use global SS = 2.0, asw = off, audio switcher, and the option to turn ovrservices on when OTT starts up and Off when it exits.  Now I can play Oculus games that I still love and with SS=2.0 (as you have said many times in the past) they all look and work great, and many almost as good as the same games in Viveport look with my Cosmos, lol!

I was planning on moving my cv1 to my old gaming laptop (AW 17r4, i7 7700hq, gtx1060 6Gb, 32GB ram) but now I can run it whenever I want with my much better desktop gaming PC, that's where it's going to stay.  MAny thanks again for all your help.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors. Vive Cosmos, currently work in progress.

RuneSR2 said:
    Maybe a small forgotten gem that needs more attention? The game does smell quite Valve-ish :D - it works on Index, Rift and Vive:

Earlier teasers:

Get it here Oct 24 (only 200MB, runs fine on GTX 980/1060):

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1064160/Holoception/

Some shots:

Tonight's the Holoception night  B) Then again, haven't gotten my Asgard's Wrath fix for days and then there's Borderlands 2 VR - there's some deep dark irony in having no time for VR when you've finally have enough funds for the hardware, sigh.

edited October 24
    TomCgcmfc said:

Using OTT (which I have not used for ages) works great because it lets me use global SS = 2.0, asw = off, audio switcher, and the option to turn ovrservices on when OTT starts up and Off when it exits.  Now I can play Oculus games that I still love and with SS=2.0 (as you have said many times in the past) they all look and work great, and many almost as good as the same games in Viveport look with my Cosmos, lol! 
    I think - with the new Gen2 hmds - that it's easy to think of CV1 as old and outdated. But it's really not at all, like you said. Using ss 2.0 you"ll need something faster than 2080 Ti for 90 fps in Lone Echo with max in-game settings but with deactivated MSAA. In Xing I'm getting like 22-23 fps (=90 fps/ 4) when starting to really turn up the eye candy - and that's using the CV1. CV1 can easily chew up more gpu power than it's possible to provide, even today.
    CV1 has strengths and weaknesses, not sure it's really much worse than other hmds, it's just different. Due to the diversity of games, I'm starting think it's important to have a nice lowres oled hmd, because some games really don't look right on new highres lcd hmds (too bright, too low perfornance, to much antialiasing needed).
    And then it's just nice having the possiblity to be with your first love now and then :blush: 

• kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,781 Valuable Player
    edited October 24
    Your right, there is no reason the CV1 is not still a very viable platform - and many seriously prefer it to the current crop of Gen2 alternatives - the only danger now is with the exodus of support teams to the other platforms or new jobs, then the only thing that could kill it is.... OculusVR!
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    BTW, Holoception has arrived - $20 or €20 - kinda expensive for such a small game that doesn't mean a lot to me, and it's early access - I think I've been spoiled in the Oculus Store too long  :D 

Downloading now... Devs need to eat  o:)

edited October 24
    RuneSR2 said:
    BTW, Holoception has arrived - $20 or €20 - kinda expensive for such a small game that doesn't mean a lot to me, and it's early access - I think I've been spoiled in the Oculus Store too long  :D 

Downloading now... Devs need to eat  o:)

Uh-oh, not sure devs need to eat - just yet ;) The game is based on a cool idea, and I did get 90 fps using Index and res 200% (ss 2.0 according to Index res). I didn't like the controls though - felt awkward. Graphics were Quest-like (GearVR-like), but I expected that from the trailers of course. 
    For now I'm thinking about keeping Borderlands 2 VR, but I've refunded Holoception - this game needs much more polish to shine. I like this review - I also didn't need more than 20 minutes to make up my mind:

The concept is great, but the execution still has a way to go. (Bear in mind that this is a first impression review after about 20 minutes or so, but read on for why I didn't play longer.)

First off, let's talk controls. Third person mode has you controlling a stick figure from on high. His hands do what yours do, but you still need to use the thumbstick to control moving and turning. This can make it difficult to internalize how do make him interact with stuff when your hands are stretched out in a different direction, feeling around almost blindly until the grab indicator finally pops up on what you're trying to grab (which is especially fun when it's surrounded by other objects you don't want).

First person mode feels more natural for people who are used to first person VR games, except the stick figure still retains some third person states like facing direction. This means that even though you are looking one way, the stick figure himself might be facing another direction, so pressing forward causes you to move sideways. Grabbing is better, but it's still a pain to get the guy to grab what you're actually looking at. And when you use the control stick to turn and move, the screen gets a dark filter like in third person mode.

The camera system needs work to be ready for VR. Speaking as someone who has had multi-hour sessions in games like Robo Recall, Superhot, and Asgard's Wrath without much issue, 20 minutes was enough for this game to give me a mild headache. I'm not knowledgeable of all the minor things that go into camera work in VR games to make them not induce motion sickness, but I do know that making first person mode actually behave like a first person mode would be a great start.

Combat is a mixed bag. On the one hand, gun mechanics feel solid enough; it's no Gun Club or HHH, but it's functional. On the other hand, I only got to use a gun in the tutorial, and beyond that you are expected to unlock it. As such, I went into the first level with only a frying pan, and I have to say the blunt melee weapon system needs tuning. Hitting someone doesn't have any visceral effect. They just have a minor flinch animation that doesn't even stop their attacks, so actually landing a hit doesn't feel great. This also means the optimal strategy with melee weapons is to hold them out at arms length and do jazz hands so you can kill or knock unconscious the enemies before they get a free swing at you. I also don't recommend first person combat, as there is no visual or audio indication that someone is behind you until they've already taken a whack at your skull.

And finally, the game seems to have some bugs in the physics department, which is a shame for a game that markets itself as being a "physics-based action shooter". The bug I experienced was this: on the last level I played, I finally found a blueprint for a pistol, holstering it so I wouldn't accidentally drop it. At the first opportunity, I jumped through the portal to unlock it so I would finally have a gun. As I was trying to get the blueprint out of the holster, my guy started suddenly spazzing out before getting ragdolled and thrown into the abyss moments later. After about 10 seconds (far too long for a respawn in the hub world, IMO) the guy reappeared approximately where he was standing before... and the blueprint was gone. Between that and the forming headache, I decided to end my session there.

So yeah, this game has some cool arcade-action style potential, but it is still very much an Early Access game in need of quite a bit of polish and tuning. I will probably revisit the game after a few updates and revise my review, but for now unfortunately I cannot recommend the game in its current state.

The new Aircar cinematic trailer looks awesome - and this tech demo (mini simulator or whatever) really shines on the Index:

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,775 Valuable Player
    Whilst similar to LOW-FI the developer could simply make this a Crazy Taxi style game. Would be pretty cool.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    Whilst similar to LOW-FI the developer could simply make this a Crazy Taxi style game. Would be pretty cool.
    Tried Aircar today on the Index and for some reason I just used res 100% - then I tried res 150% and I still got perfect 90 fps - and then 200% and still solid 90 fps. Seems like Aircar is wonderfully optimized, it also performed perfectly using CV1 ss 2.0 in early 2018. I just though that the new graphics would reduce performance, but it does not seem so - at least performance is still incredibly awesome. 

edited October 27
    I'm not sure it has been discussed in here, and of course to many this may be very old news, but I just spent time testing different SteamVR Home environments, and while some may not be as impressive as Oculus Home environments, many of the SteamVR Home environment really shine on the Index when using like res 200% - which works in solid 90 fps using my GTX 1080. Note you can of course also use these homes if you use an Oculus HMD. 

I just switched to this new SteamVR Home - let's see if it makes me more happy in the long run, lol - but it's much more dynamic and colorful than the default SteamVR Home:

Download new SteamVR Homes here:

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse/?appid=250820&browsesort=toprated&section=readytouseitems

Here're some more examples for persons getting tired of the grey stones and mountains in the default home:

Beach (Hawaii)

Zelda - I think you get the entire island to visit (teleport), I have not tried it yet:

Driftwood (800MB quite big). Really awesome, maybe the best Home ever when it comes to photo-realistic graphics, but too much Vive for my taste ;)

Candy Store

Winter Peak:

Gulping Goat Space Farm

But there're many, many more Homes to choose among. I prefer those done by Valve artists. 

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,775 Valuable Player
    These are all pretty old Rune. Try the mountain peak one though as this enables you to ski down the mountain.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    These are all pretty old Rune. Try the mountain peak one though as this enables you to ski down the mountain.
    I'll give it a shot, thanks - for years I never bothered changing SteamVR Homes, before Index I didn't care much for SteamVR, so all these Homes are new to me - and although many aren't that interesting there're several hidden gems. Visiting Mars was quite awesome. You're right, seems like the Valve artists have not made many new Homes for years, I wonder what they've been doing instead, lol... 

It's whipping time!  >:)

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,148 Valuable Player
    Look like John Wick 3 :)

Not of fan of on rail games especially when its on a moving escalator you cant stop.
    edited October 31
    Look like John Wick 3 :)

Not of fan of on rail games especially when its on a moving escalator you cant stop.

It does look like a small fun and simple game to me, but seeing how much news about Pistol Whip gets upvoted on Valve Index Reddit makes no sense. At least compared to news about Asgard's Wrath, which got less attention in there. It seems like average Index users love a small indie production like Pistol Whip which has like 1% of the Asgard's Wrath content. It's kinda pathetic, but of curse I do understand that many non-Oculus hmd users are angry about Oculus making exclusive titles.

I guess Pistol Whip may enjoy some spotlight for a few days, before the giant Stormland hammer strikes, lol.

The way I see it, Index is an awesome solution, but Oculus is the king of VR content, right now absolutely nothing comes close (ok, maybe some Skyrim... and Doom ;-) If Valve does not want Index to "survive on revive" (yup, just made that slogan up, lol), then Valve better do something about it quickly...

And Oasis using a 2080 Ti when testing Pistol Whip and the Index, and ending up recommending a solution using 72 Hz HMD with a gpu made for an old phone makes little sense - and he did not even test 120 and 144 Hz or high levels of super sampling (only 90 Hz). Personally I'm not fond of game reviews that don't consider hardware perspectives thoroughly. Maybe we can conclude that the game has so low hardware requirements that it looks much the same on Quest 72 Hz and Index 90Hz res 100%. But I wouldn't be surprised if Oasis could use 144 Hz 1:1 and res 120-150% - which may provide an experience far beyond the Quest.

- and now this got 300 upvotes - I need my antihypertensives!  

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/dpeixa/this_is_how_you_play_pistol_whip_if_you_want_to/

Maybe some Index owners love to pay 1K to play Quest games, lol... 

BTW, last night my left Index controller developed forward drifting - my controllers were delivered in July and are probably from the first batch. So it's not clickgate, but driftgate, lol. It's only the left controller (but the one I use primarily for full locomotion), the right still works perfectly (used for turning). Maybe the irony of fate, but my left thumb stick still clicks.

I've just contacted Steam, now I'm wondering if I should buy a new pair to reduce waiting time, but then again Stormland arrives soon and I'm still playing Asgard's Wrath, maybe no big deal to wait for new Knuckles. Still got 21 months of warranty.

After doing a bit more background work on the Superdata numbers I still think the 50,000+ sale number for Valve INDEX seems accurate based on what we know - if that is the case, I cant really see how this will be a profitable or sustainable business for them - a lot is resting on the reliability of the systems they have fielded, their QA and those "magical" in development AAA VR titles!
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,148 Valuable Player
    It needs a 200 Dollar price drop.
    It needs a 200 Dollar price drop.
    Well, at least I can keep you posted about the controllers ;) Just got a reply from Mia:

Hi there, 

I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues with controller input. A member of our troubleshooting team will be available to assist you soon.

In the meantime, you can test any misbehaving inputs by navigating to the SteamVR menu and selecting Devices > Controller Settings > Test Controller. You can use this tool to confirm any behavior you may be noticing.

From Controller Settings, you can also calibrate the orientation of cardinal directions on your thumbstick and adjust deadzones.

Thanks for using Steam,
    Mia

kevinw729 said:
    After doing a bit more background work on the Superdata numbers I still think the 50,000+ sale number for Valve INDEX seems accurate based on what we know - if that is the case, I cant really see how this will be a profitable or sustainable business for them - a lot is resting on the reliability of the systems they have fielded, their QA and those "magical" in development AAA VR titles!

I wonder if Gabe needs to make a lot of money from the Index. Valve profits from the devs - isn't it like 30% of each game sale going into Valve's pockets? So when Steam servers are running Valve can just relax, sit back and watch the money flow in their direction... Maybe they can afford exchanging all these faulty controllers and Index is more like a trophy... I believe 50K Index sales are quite realistic. 

I read somewhere that thumb stick were like a last minute decision - before (I guess) Knuckles looked like this - maybe Valve now regrets changing the design, lol:

Image result for knuckles valve revisions

edited October 31
    RuneSR2 said:
    I wonder if Gabe needs to make a lot of money from the Index. Valve profits from the devs - isn't it like 30% of each game sale going into Valve's pockets? So when Steam servers are running Valve can just relax, sit back and watch the money flow in their direction... Maybe they can afford exchanging all these faulty controllers and Index is more like a trophy... I believe 50K Index sales are quite realistic. 

Yeah, I am not sold on the "needs to make money" - this has been a pet project to steer the opportunity seen by the operation in supporting VR content on their portal. Their partnership with HTC did not evolve in the direction they wanted, and they have worked hard to define the real VR future they want to support. The INDEX is an ends to a means, and is more a DK2 than a final product. The last minute changing seems to bore this out - I am not surprised about the thumb stick as I was about GabeN demanding the Frunck.  

The sudden change in direction and even reversal of support of Enterprise are all parr for the course from a company that is dabbling - while raking in millions from their core business of absently managing the largest of the game portal sales services. The way that "VR Games" have been cosseted by the service shows a continuing commitment, but its clear that they expect others to do the heavy lifting.

Like pushing a unfinished ship down the jetty, but expecting others to do the sailing. This AAA VR release later is going to be the equivalent of the bottle of champagne being broken across the INDEX's bows, but I do not expect much more of their own investment (ala SteamPC)!
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **