cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

2,973 REPLIES 2,973

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks, main reason I might pick one up is just for convenience sake in being able to turn the USB off easily.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

RuneSR2 said:

TomCgcmfc said:

That sounds like a good plan mate!  Many thanks for all that.  Cheers.

You're more than welcome, let me know if something doesn't work. BTW, been spending most of my time in CV1 the last week because of Asgard's Wrath - I think it adds to our quality of life having more HMD options, lol. Also like having a VR back-up plan if one HMD should fail 😉 Or just having the ability to enjoy the best of both worlds without needing two rigs. 
After having used Index for several months, at first it was really hard adapting to the CV1 in Asgard's Wrath - now I've gotten used to CV1 again, and I love the feeling of nostalgia using CV1 - and Oculus Home starts a lot quicker than SteamVR.

Thanks for all the dual headset tips mate.  Everything is working very well.  Thanks to the Cosmos link box on/off button and OTT I have even managed to just leave my cv1 plugged in.  Using OTT (which I have not used for ages) works great because it lets me use global SS = 2.0, asw = off, audio switcher, and the option to turn ovrservices on when OTT starts up and Off when it exits.  Now I can play Oculus games that I still love and with SS=2.0 (as you have said many times in the past) they all look and work great, and many almost as good as the same games in Viveport look with my Cosmos, lol!

I was planning on moving my cv1 to my old gaming laptop (AW 17r4, i7 7700hq, gtx1060 6Gb, 32GB ram) but now I can run it whenever I want with my much better desktop gaming PC, that's where it's going to stay.  MAny thanks again for all your help.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RuneSR2 said:

Maybe a small forgotten gem that needs more attention? The game does smell quite Valve-ish 😄 - it works on Index, Rift and Vive:

https://youtu.be/PnJ1FLi5myE

Earlier teasers:

https://youtu.be/RiWLA-rY9yU

https://youtu.be/nFFHDWmevYU

Get it here Oct 24 (only 200MB, runs fine on GTX 980/1060):

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1064160/Holoception/

Some shots:

hsw1qntc80cg.jpg
7dleth9aq331.jpg
trzbgbrszz8c.jpg
9cuk9j4qtf9j.jpg
g44bgqvauzzp.jpg
ec7ur5tfe634.jpg
8cly9deopp7m.jpg
jq0zguokeuya.jpg
6qau6sss3y6g.jpg
puy0qvbjp6xt.jpg

Tonight's the Holoception night  B) Then again, haven't gotten my Asgard's Wrath fix for days and then there's Borderlands 2 VR - there's some deep dark irony in having no time for VR when you've finally have enough funds for the hardware, sigh.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

TomCgcmfc said:

Using OTT (which I have not used for ages) works great because it lets me use global SS = 2.0, asw = off, audio switcher, and the option to turn ovrservices on when OTT starts up and Off when it exits.  Now I can play Oculus games that I still love and with SS=2.0 (as you have said many times in the past) they all look and work great, and many almost as good as the same games in Viveport look with my Cosmos, lol! 

I think - with the new Gen2 hmds - that it's easy to think of CV1 as old and outdated. But it's really not at all, like you said. Using ss 2.0 you"ll need something faster than 2080 Ti for 90 fps in Lone Echo with max in-game settings but with deactivated MSAA. In Xing I'm getting like 22-23 fps (=90 fps/ 4) when starting to really turn up the eye candy - and that's using the CV1. CV1 can easily chew up more gpu power than it's possible to provide, even today.
CV1 has strengths and weaknesses, not sure it's really much worse than other hmds, it's just different. Due to the diversity of games, I'm starting think it's important to have a nice lowres oled hmd, because some games really don't look right on new highres lcd hmds (too bright, too low perfornance, to much antialiasing needed).
And then it's just nice having the possiblity to be with your first love now and then :blush: 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
Your right, there is no reason the CV1 is not still a very viable platform - and many seriously prefer it to the current crop of Gen2 alternatives - the only danger now is with the exodus of support teams to the other platforms or new jobs, then the only thing that could kill it is.... OculusVR!
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
BTW, Holoception has arrived - $20 or €20 - kinda expensive for such a small game that doesn't mean a lot to me, and it's early access - I think I've been spoiled in the Oculus Store too long  😄 

Downloading now... Devs need to eat  o:)

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RuneSR2 said:

BTW, Holoception has arrived - $20 or €20 - kinda expensive for such a small game that doesn't mean a lot to me, and it's early access - I think I've been spoiled in the Oculus Store too long  😄 

Downloading now... Devs need to eat  o:)

Uh-oh, not sure devs need to eat - just yet 😉 The game is based on a cool idea, and I did get 90 fps using Index and res 200% (ss 2.0 according to Index res). I didn't like the controls though - felt awkward. Graphics were Quest-like (GearVR-like), but I expected that from the trailers of course. 
For now I'm thinking about keeping Borderlands 2 VR, but I've refunded Holoception - this game needs much more polish to shine. I like this review - I also didn't need more than 20 minutes to make up my mind:

The concept is great, but the execution still has a way to go. (Bear in mind that this is a first impression review after about 20 minutes or so, but read on for why I didn't play longer.)

First off, let's talk controls. Third person mode has you controlling a stick figure from on high. His hands do what yours do, but you still need to use the thumbstick to control moving and turning. This can make it difficult to internalize how do make him interact with stuff when your hands are stretched out in a different direction, feeling around almost blindly until the grab indicator finally pops up on what you're trying to grab (which is especially fun when it's surrounded by other objects you don't want).

First person mode feels more natural for people who are used to first person VR games, except the stick figure still retains some third person states like facing direction. This means that even though you are looking one way, the stick figure himself might be facing another direction, so pressing forward causes you to move sideways. Grabbing is better, but it's still a pain to get the guy to grab what you're actually looking at. And when you use the control stick to turn and move, the screen gets a dark filter like in third person mode.

The camera system needs work to be ready for VR. Speaking as someone who has had multi-hour sessions in games like Robo Recall, Superhot, and Asgard's Wrath without much issue, 20 minutes was enough for this game to give me a mild headache. I'm not knowledgeable of all the minor things that go into camera work in VR games to make them not induce motion sickness, but I do know that making first person mode actually behave like a first person mode would be a great start.

Combat is a mixed bag. On the one hand, gun mechanics feel solid enough; it's no Gun Club or HHH, but it's functional. On the other hand, I only got to use a gun in the tutorial, and beyond that you are expected to unlock it. As such, I went into the first level with only a frying pan, and I have to say the blunt melee weapon system needs tuning. Hitting someone doesn't have any visceral effect. They just have a minor flinch animation that doesn't even stop their attacks, so actually landing a hit doesn't feel great. This also means the optimal strategy with melee weapons is to hold them out at arms length and do jazz hands so you can kill or knock unconscious the enemies before they get a free swing at you. I also don't recommend first person combat, as there is no visual or audio indication that someone is behind you until they've already taken a whack at your skull.

And finally, the game seems to have some bugs in the physics department, which is a shame for a game that markets itself as being a "physics-based action shooter". The bug I experienced was this: on the last level I played, I finally found a blueprint for a pistol, holstering it so I wouldn't accidentally drop it. At the first opportunity, I jumped through the portal to unlock it so I would finally have a gun. As I was trying to get the blueprint out of the holster, my guy started suddenly spazzing out before getting ragdolled and thrown into the abyss moments later. After about 10 seconds (far too long for a respawn in the hub world, IMO) the guy reappeared approximately where he was standing before... and the blueprint was gone. Between that and the forming headache, I decided to end my session there.

So yeah, this game has some cool arcade-action style potential, but it is still very much an Early Access game in need of quite a bit of polish and tuning. I will probably revisit the game after a few updates and revise my review, but for now unfortunately I cannot recommend the game in its current state.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
The new Aircar cinematic trailer looks awesome - and this tech demo (mini simulator or whatever) really shines on the Index:

https://youtu.be/7O1N9eEPezE

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Whilst similar to LOW-FI the developer could simply make this a Crazy Taxi style game. Would be pretty cool.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Whilst similar to LOW-FI the developer could simply make this a Crazy Taxi style game. Would be pretty cool.

Tried Aircar today on the Index and for some reason I just used res 100% - then I tried res 150% and I still got perfect 90 fps - and then 200% and still solid 90 fps. Seems like Aircar is wonderfully optimized, it also performed perfectly using CV1 ss 2.0 in early 2018. I just though that the new graphics would reduce performance, but it does not seem so - at least performance is still incredibly awesome.