New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

HTC VIVE Cosmos has launched - specs, reviews and impressions

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,730 Valuable Player
    Techy111 said:
    Yup agreed, going off Oculus track, my Reverb doesn't feel like Gen 1 visually ;)
    Yes, I guess "seeing is believing" ;)
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,463
    Project 2501
    kojack said:
    It always feels odd to hear people say this is generation 1, when there's been many years of consumer VR headsets before the Rift. It's like saying the PS4 is a generation 1 console.

I think most people would agree that Gen 1 started with the Rift cv1 and Vive OG.  Then followed by WMR.  All systems are still using essentially the same software and while all systems have improved I think it's pretty clear that any headset using this gen 1 software is still gen 1. 

As guys like Zen have said not too long ago in a separate poll thread, VR is really all about software.  Improvements in hardware (headsets and PC spec) are important but they themselves do not make them gen 2 VR imho.  If guys want to think because they have the latest greatest headset that they are gen 2 or higher then they can call them anything they want.  It's not very important to me what others want to call their current VR headsets.  Whatever makes them feel good is ok with me.

If any of you want to debate this subject further, rather than polluting this thread, I think you should start a separate thread and let all the Master-Debaters go for it, lol!  Personally, I will not carry on with the Gen X debate further in this thread.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors. Vive Cosmos, currently work in progress.

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,730 Valuable Player
    TomCgcmfc said:

Personally, I will not carry on with the Gen X debate further in this thread.
    Agreed, let's focus on Cosmos. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,535 Valuable Player
    edited October 17
    I know Zen and I got into it a bit over Cosmos - but I still stand - that if you find a headset that works for you - then good for you:) follow it! Nothing wrong with Pimax, HTC, Vavle, or even Oculus. They all have their weakness and strength and as a customer - we need choice. Granted, I love to see Oculus pull a Pimax and release Half Done 3(4?) soon than later, but that also what makes them different in what your needs can carry with them. Everyone is going to also have their opinions as well - so its cool to listen to them - but as a customer - pick what is going to work for you. Cosmos on paper really looks like a great product - and as I said before - once they fix their current issues - will be a great product for that price range.

In my opinion, at least for hardware, functionality is WAY more important to get right than the over all specs - and that really opens the door all sorts of headsets to come into existing from ugly looking with low price point to beautiful looking with high price points to the everything in between.
    Project 2501
    I agree Mradr, the more VR hardware and systems out there the better off all VR users will be.

I’m quietly confident that the current issues with my Cosmos will be sorted out soon and then people can judge for themselves what it is capable of bringing to VR and whether or not it is a good fit for them.

I already have experienced a lot of very positive results with mine.  Especially with flight and racing sims.  I doubt that I will ever use my good old Rift cv1 for those ever again.  In fact I kinda already imagine my Rift collecting dust in the not too distant future.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors. Vive Cosmos, currently work in progress.

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,494 Volunteer Moderator
    I agree @TomCgcmfc my rift is gathering dust. Was going to keep it but now thinking of paying it forward to a newbie.
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• inovatorinovator Posts: 2,095 Valuable Player
    Mradr said:
    I know Zen and I got into it a bit over Cosmos - but I still stand - that if you find a headset that works for you - then good for you:) follow it! Nothing wrong with Pimax, HTC, Vavle, or even Oculus. They all have their weakness and strength and as a customer - we need choice. Granted, I love to see Oculus pull a Pimax and release Half Done 3(4?) soon than later, but that also what makes them different in what your needs can carry with them. Everyone is going to also have their opinions as well - so its cool to listen to them - but as a customer - pick what is going to work for you. Cosmos on paper really looks like a great product - and as I said before - once they fix their current issues - will be a great product for that price range.

In my opinion, at least for hardware, functionality is WAY more important to get right than the over all specs - and that really opens the door all sorts of headsets to come into existing from ugly looking with low price point to beautiful looking with high price points to the everything in between.
    Even oculus. Wow  I wonder what he meant by that. I'll try not to read into it that much.
  • hoppingbunny123hoppingbunny123 Posts: 656
    Trinity
    edited October 17
    all vr headsets are phone screens strapped to the persons head near the eyes. if the vr uses something else its still predicated on using a phone screen. in other words all vr headsets are is fancy gear vr units from the reverb to the index to cv1.

strictly speaking about the screen technology and the proximity to the eyes, nothing has changed since the gear vr and google cardboard vr. just the implementation and screen choice.

this is especially true with the quest.

whenever i see a new vr headset they look just like one of the previously released headsets, theyre all stacked up on the gear vr philosophically.

it cant be healthy to have a phone screen or equivalent strapped to the head blasting into the eyes hours at a time everyday.
    edited October 17
    all vr headsets are phone screens strapped to the persons head near the eyes. if the vr uses something else its still predicated on using a phone screen. in other words all vr headsets are is fancy gear vr units from the reverb to the index to cv1.
    Not true at all - the screens used in CV1 and Quest are not cell phone screens. The Rift S does use a type of cell phone screen, but still not really something you will find on one. Actually any headset that uses hardware base IDP adjustment will not be using cell phone screens.

Its more unhealthy to be outside being hit by sun radiation or even looking at it:) so I guess pick your poison:)?

inovator said:
    Even oculus. Wow  I wonder what he meant by that. I'll try not to read into it that much.
    Nothing to read into it O.o;? I just pick them last as we're on a Oculus form so more than likely you already pick Oculus as a company to be looking at. I am just pointing out all companies have strength and weakness and dont worry about picking the one you like - go for what you want out of VR.
    Project 2501
    edited October 18
    The more I use the new Vive Reality System the more I like it.  The Vive Lens is sort of equivalent to Dash and you just call it up whenever you need it (including within a game) by single pressing the Vive button (equivalent to the Oculus button).  Within the lens you can select any Viveport or Steam apps.  

On the right side of lens is a settings button.  This displays a number of items you can change and these can be done on the fly while you are with a game.  One feature that I think is worthwhile mentioning is that there are 3x headset display modes; normal, night, and vivid.  So far I’m loving Vivid mode.  This mode slightly increases color saturation and contrast.  Sort of like Dynamic mode on your TV.  It really makes things pop out and seems to give everything a bit more depth.  Makes VR even more immersive to me and is a nice, useful feature imho.

Project 2501
    I can't say I like the Enterprise version's cable placement, lol!

• kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,781 Valuable Player
    TomCgcmfc said:
    I can't say I like the Enterprise version's cable placement, lol!

Agree - I have no idea what was going on with this - but as the exhibitor was so kind as to let me monopolize this updated version I was loathed to ask. 
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    Not going to lie - you look a lot younger in this picture xD
    Project 2501
    edited October 18
    Just a few more Cosmos tidbits (I originally typed titbits, omg!).

I am really liking the Cosmos Link Box.  I like that it has an on/off button so that when it is turned off there is no power going to the headset, and hence no red standby light.  I also like the fact that the Link Box is supplying power (via an ac adaptor) to the headset (not sure about the usb 3?) so this probably takes a little load off your PC's DP power requirements.  I remember a lot of Rift cv1 guys (esp. with laptops) had a lot of success using the OG Vive link box (which is hdmi).

I like the fact that you can turn the Cosmos controllers on/off.  You can do this by holding their Vive button (menu/oculus little button equiv) for ~3 seconds.  Also, when I'm using a flight sim and don't need the left controller I  just need to right click on its steamVR image and turn it off.  Of course both of these turn off immediately when you exit VR.  After over a week of pretty hard use I'm only on my 2nd set of rechargeable AA Eneloops.  I saved the included 4x Toshiba aa alkaline batteries for other things like flashlights.  So, all those early haters comment on poor battery life is crap imho.  Still not as good as the 2-4 weeks I get with my good old Rift cv1 touch controllers though.

Now I'm excited.  It looks like the Cosmos is going to get eye tracking very soon, and for only ~$150!  There is a short blurb about this early on in this YT vid;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcQTQIXpxCQ

So, my Cosmos is soon to have wireless and eye tracking.  Eat your heart out Cosmos haters, lol!

As Snowie would say, it's not all beer and skittles.  There is still a lot of work that Vive needs to do in order to get their inside out tracking and low light requirements up to the current Rift S gold standards imho.  Vive issued an update yesterday (= last weeks beta is now final) and they expect to issue a new beta by the end of this month. 

So, that's all for now. I must now return to more important things like VR sims/games in Vivid Mode.

edited October 21
    Looks like Focus Plus will be getting a PC VR streaming capability via 5GHz - interesting if this would ever be suitable for Quest?

[Edited]

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    Project 2501
    Very interesting!  I was kinda thinking that the Cosmos might get a 5G module that together with the wireless adapter may result in the ultimate standalone.  Maybe not with the new Focus +.

• kojackkojack Posts: 5,621 Volunteer Moderator

kevinw729 said:
    Looks like Focus Plus will be getting a PC VR streaming capability via 5G
    The streaming it's getting is via 5GHz wifi, not 5G.
    kojack said:

kevinw729 said:
    Looks like Focus Plus will be getting a PC VR streaming capability via 5G
    Do you think that would be Wifi 6 @5GHz?
    kojack said:

Thanks for the correction - have changed to reflect that.
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,775 Valuable Player
    So ok I will ask the dumb question, then what is considered 5G?
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    edited October 21
    dburne said:

Try this explanation:

5GHz Wi-Fi Is Not 5G Cellular
    5GHz Wi-Fi is a short range, home networking system that operates in the five-gigahertz radio band. 
    5GHz Wi-Fi has more available channels and can typically run much faster, but it has somewhat shorter range than 2.4GHz. 
    5G is a new cellular standard, 
    and "5G E" is just AT&T marketing ploy for its 4G network. B) 
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,707 Valuable Player
    edited October 21
    Why are these VR companies so dumb that they release VR headsets that they aim to fix the following month? Don't they think for one minute that first impressions last and that some people are not going to wait for fixes? There's no wonder PC -VR isn't catching on when people are reading reviews about VR headsets being release with crappy tracking that might just get fixed months later. HTC had plenty to learn from the Rift S and it's crappy tracking to start of with, so why release the HTC VR headset in this state knowing it will get bad reviews?

• inovatorinovator Posts: 2,095 Valuable Player
    RedRizla said:
    Why are these VR companies so dumb that they release VR headsets that they aim to fix the following month? Don't they think for one minute that first impressions last and that some people are not going to wait for fixes? There's no wonder PC -VR isn't catching on when people are reading reviews about VR headsets being release with crappy tracking that might just get fixed months later. HTC had plenty to learn from the Rift S and it's crappy tracking to start of with, so why release the HTC VR headset in this state knowing it will get bad reviews?

Your right on the money. The rift s for me was very workable but I felt it shouldn't have been released. The Cosmo release was a monstrosity.
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,621 Volunteer Moderator
    dburne said:
    5G is the 5th Generation cellular network. It's the sequel to 2G, 3G and 4G.

5GHz is one of the frequencies of standard wifi networks (such as 802.11ac). Usually they run at 2.4GHz (bluetooth, wifi and many wireless systems like mice/gamepad dongles) or 5GHz.
    2.4GHz gets interference from things like microwave ovens and usb 3 devices. 5GHz is less likely to encounter interference, but it can't penetrate walls as well.

5G has a range of frequencies that it can use. In Korea it is 3.5GHz. In america it's 28GHz or 39GHz. (Bigger numbers make it shorter range and worse at going through walls, but the low numbers are crowded by other devices)

inovator said:
    RedRizla said:

Your right on the money. The rift s for me was very workable but I felt it shouldn't have been released. The Cosmo release was a monstrosity.

Its a factor of momentum and inertia - the investment was made in these various divisions with a set roadmap. The more that route has changed the less momentum to move forward (as more and more of those steering the projects depart, or move on). Best example is Lenovo, who were totally focused on WindowsMR development - with that failure to launch they have pivoted to a partnership with a one time opponent. For the HTC situation, many on this forum have posted the demise of this Taiwan electrical giant, and they are seriously holed below the waterline. The lack of any cohesion from the team on the Cosmos launch, just shows a state of torpor sweeping management over VR's failure to meet misguided expectations.   
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    Note, 5G is set to allow VR use as it does lower the time and increase bandwidth speed base of wifi 6 improvements as well. So I can understand where the confusion comes from. 
    kojack said:
    dburne said:
    5G is the 5th Generation cellular network. It's the sequel to 2G, 3G and 4G.

5GHz is one of the frequencies of standard wifi networks (such as 802.11ac). Usually they run at 2.4GHz (bluetooth, wifi and many wireless systems like mice/gamepad dongles) or 5GHz.
    2.4GHz gets interference from things like microwave ovens and usb 3 devices. 5GHz is less likely to encounter interference, but it can't penetrate walls as well.

5G has a range of frequencies that it can use. In Korea it is 3.5GHz. In america it's 28GHz or 39GHz. (Bigger numbers make it shorter range and worse at going through walls, but the low numbers are crowded by other devices)

Ok thanks, yeah I understood WiFi and guess I was just confusing the two, so then I did not get what 5G was that was being referred to for cellular.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    edited October 21
    kevinw729 said:
    inovator said:
    RedRizla said:

Its a factor of momentum and inertia - the investment was made in these various divisions with a set roadmap. The more that route has changed the less momentum to move forward (as more and more of those steering the projects depart, or move on). Best example is Lenovo, who were totally focused on WindowsMR development - with that failure to launch they have pivoted to a partnership with a one time opponent. For the HTC situation, many on this forum have posted the demise of this Taiwan electrical giant, and they are seriously holed below the waterline. The lack of any cohesion from the team on the Cosmos launch, just shows a state of torpor sweeping management over VR's failure to meet misguided expectations.   
    I have a feeling we can thank Lenovo for the crappy audio strap and even crappier mic in the Rift S.
    I took care of it on my end with decent earbuds and a desktop USB mic, but some folks like quality in the whole headset when they get it.

Understand I love my Rift S and use it many, many hours each week and it works great for me. But the above should not have been allowed to happen, not with something that had the Oculus name on it.
    That is what happens when Oculus decides in the 11th hour to partner with Lenovo to throw something together fast and get it to market to appease their PC customer base.

Don

Project 2501
    Mradr said:
    Note, 5G is set to allow VR use as it does lower the time and increase bandwidth speed base of wifi 6 improvements as well. So I can understand where the confusion comes from. 
    Ya, I kinda think that Vive will wait for this tech to catch up before introducing a standalone module for the Cosmos.  So, until then the Quest rules mobile VR imho.

I hate to get back on topic........

I got a nice surprise from Viveport yesterday.  Along with the 12 months free Infinity subscription that came with my Cosmos pre-order I got a message offering me a 2 month free subscription.  I said ok and it automatically added another 2 months of free access so at this time I'm good till Dec/2020.  As a bonus, this subscription is also valid for my Rift.  I now have (thanks to Rune..) a dual Rift cv1/Cosmos VR setup so this is kinda handy. 

Current Viveport Infinity games for Cosmos = 475, for Rift = 301.

Even with my Cosmos's current tracking and controller compatibility issues it has completely taken over all my Flight and Racing sims.  My Rift cv1 w/2x sensors still rules tracking-wise and many Oculus games still look almost good-as using OTT and 2x SS.  I feel very spoiled, lol!