cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asgard's Wrath: the most awesome VR game ever? Reviews & impressions!

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Only 2 days left  ❤️ I think most of the screenshots below are from September 5, but I didn't notice them before today - click to enlarge a screenshot:

cxfbwgm3ddyb.jpgc97q5swddbfq.jpgy8p5jdvtc0m1.jpg5r7dyo2cghlt.jpg
shirm9aoyiv4.jpgi9pwayd5nd6l.jpglcnbwbs0qfcl.jpg39mg7kmetfq6.jpgfg07chbkj5em.jpg9wws5benescc.jpgcer3hs00q51u.jpgduuflf22i4qw.jpghag6rixer1d2.jpgs0bst7th4hx6.jpgp1rocpt70djs.jpgmpdmhrpvco3f.jpgkjl94fprnqe4.jpgmwtax7sumsm8.jpgum6zy5l9yjkb.jpgw0j8km6nqhpt.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

263 REPLIES 263

Wildt
Consultant
Make sure not to get too far away from where your foes have spawned when there isn't that circular yellow force field around the combat area. I just worked the runic armor off a foe, and he then disappeared because I I back-pedalled too far. When I got back to the spot he re-spawned WITH runic armor :angry:
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

Wildt
Consultant
Am I the only one who feels the split spear you need to throw vs. targets in order to make that purple energy connect, is WAY off? The flight path is TOTALLY off the real trajectory of my hands motion, and I've the the auto-aim to the lowest setting.

JoeManji08
Heroic Explorer
I found if I throw it like a sword/dagger rather than like a spear, it behaves exactly the same as those for me.  That might help if you haven't tried it yet?  

It also doesn't seem to matter how I'm holding it.  Like if my left one is held with the blade facing down, I can still use the same wrist-flicking motion I do with other weapons, and it flies with the blade forward.

MowTin
Expert Trustee
Yeah, I also throw it like a dagger. 

At first, I tried to use it like a spear sword but that got really confusing because by default you hold the upper region. I use it like a double sword. 

After the second part of the level, be sure to upgrade it and use the trigger to switch it to that dark energy mode. It's very powerful. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

MowTin
Expert Trustee
In this video at about 21:40 you see him do the parrying tutorial. If you slow down and stop when he misses, you can see that his timing is off and you can see everything he's doing wrong. 

This game requires some amount of physical coordination. 

https://youtu.be/eSeKWtSpi8U?t=1301

Wildt
Consultant
Those are some pansy wrist flick attacks he throws.. 

One of the enemy types with runic armour I thought were bugged for me, was the guy with two knives. I couldn't get him enraged enough to do the blue attack. Turns out when I thought I did a parry attack, I hit HIM as well. I ended up hitting him like 20 times without him throwing the blue attack. Then I dialed back the reach of the swing and started hitting his little blades, and he got enraged real quick.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Another review with a perfect 100% verdict:

https://www.thegamer.com/asgards-wrath-review/amp/

Throughout this review, I talked very little about the game as a "VR experience," and that's because unlike other VR games (which are incredible games in their own right), Asgard's Wrath is just a damn good game, period. No asterisks, no conditional statements. I don't need to tell you, "It's a good VR game." Asgard's Wrath is a highly polished, deep, and interesting RPG. This is the kind of game that should get hyped up at E3 along side CyberPunk and Death Stranding. When VR goes fully mainstream, this game will be remembered as one of the greats.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

MowTin
Expert Trustee
I love this game. I'm 41 hours in. I think it's one of the best VR games ever. But a few things keep it from greatness. Keep in mind, I'm highly critical. I don't consider Lone Echo a perfect game either. 

I'm almost done with the game. I wouldn't give it 100% because I feel like they didn't have time to finish the game the way they wanted. After you defeat Tyr you expect that every hero journey will end in a cool boss fight but it doesn't. Only 2 of the 4 heroes have boss fights. And the two heroes that don't have boss fights reuse the same minigame. 

Once was ok for that minigame, twice was unpleasant. Especially because it was hard and I had to redo it over and over again. It was an unpleasant experience. 

The other flaw is the lack of ranged combat. You get a bow and you get a crossbow but you almost never need to use them in combat. And it takes so many shots to take down an enemy and your so limited in bows or bolts that it's not worth using. The combat is basically all melee which unfortunate because the first hero has an ax you can throw that is awesome. You do have other weapons that are short-range weapons but they missed the opportunity to use VR's best game mechanic--the bow. I would have appreciated portions with lots of weak enemies coming at you quickly that need to be taken out by arrows or bolts. 

Also, for something described as an RPG they missed the opportunity to have magic. Besides the bow, magic is the coolest thing in Skyrim VR. It would be great to wield the sword with one hand and use spells with the other (Bioshock?). 

Finally, instead of having 4 separate heroes with their own campaign, it would have been better to be able to play the entire game as 1 of 4 heroes. I felt like I wanted to play the entire game as the first hero with her ax and sword, 

But the positives are huge. The narrative is just awesome and mindblowing. The scripted scenes are gorgeous and so well done it's hard to say enough good things about it. The shifting in and out of god mode to solve puzzles is one of the most innovative mechanics in any video game. The difficulty of the puzzles is just right. I was really stuck with some before I figured it out. 

The combat can be very difficult because it requires you to physically react to cues like you would in real combat. Most people can handle pressing a button at the right time but swinging your arm at the right angle at the right time is requires some real physical coordination that some don't have. I really enjoyed the challenge. Especially dodging massive attacks by giant enemies. The game feels like God of War in VR with a touch of Dark Souls difficulty. If you don't enjoy a game kicking your ass you may get frustrated and annoyed. 

It's a very long game and you will get physically tired. If you try to just play it straight through and finish you'll choke. You may not enjoy it as much. You can't even do one hero per day. Just take your time and enjoy this. 

I'll give it a 9/10 so far. I'm almost finished. 

Edit: I just finished it. Left a smile on my face. I really enjoyed this. There were actually 3 boss fights. and the last one was really cool imo. 

And lots to do after you're done. Final time 41 hours. 

Wildt
Consultant
@MowTin - I agree with a lot of your criticism, and in addition I'm just not finding the combat super enjoyable.
And that's the bread and butter for me in a game like this, so 27 hours in I'm at a 7/10 verdict.
I don't remember my overall completion % but I think it's around 35%, and I don't see myself throwing more time at rasing it after I finish this last saga.

MowTin
Expert Trustee
I played some more today even though I finished the game. I didn't realize you can keep upgrading your heroes and followers to really high levels. You also gain more powerful and totally different looking armor. When Ingrid's ax is charged, I throw it at one of the shielded enemies stripping their shield. Then I switch it to fire mode and fire bomb doing massive damage. 

I'm also noticing that a lot of shielded enemies that throw things, you can parry the projectile back and then and it breaks their shield. 

When you get better and better and have powerful gear, you feel like a real Norse badass. 

Edit: Not only can you parry projectiles and have them break shields but you can pick up flaming axes and throw them at shielded enemies to strip off a shield.