cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Borderlands 2 VR - trailer, reviews & impressions

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Looks quite cool - to me maybe even more exciting the No Man's Sky VR, although these are very different games:

https://youtu.be/5SyqfYUBPvM

More info:

About

Developed by Gearbox Software, Borderlands 2 VR brings the iconic world of Pandora to life like never before. Fans will virtually become a treasure-seeking Vault Hunter, grab 87 bazillion guns, and face off against the galaxy’s most charming psychopathic dictator, Handsome Jack, to free Pandora from the corrupt Hyperion Corporation.

Key Features

• Virtually Step onto Pandora: Step into the boots of a treasure-seeking Vault Hunter armed with 87 bazillion possible guns on a quest to line your pockets with loot and free Pandora from Handsome Jack’s clutches. Blast bandits with real-world aiming, punch bullymongs in the mouth, find the perfect gun inside a life-sized treasure chest and inspect it from every angle. Catch-aRide and race across Pandora in first-person view and experience the thrill of a psycho running toward you with grenade in-hand yelling, “Boom time!”
  • Virtually Slow Time: Borderlands 2 VR includes new features unique to the VR experience to empower Vault Hunters in their fight against Handsome Jack. With Bad Ass Mega Fun Time (aka BAMF Time), players can use this new slow-mo ability to literally slow the speed of the game temporarily to set up their next attack. In addition, with the option to Teleport, players can glide across Pandora as gracefully as Claptrap (if he had grace).
  • Become a Virtual Vault Hunter: Take on the role of one of four playable classes – Siren, Commando, Gunzerker and Assassin – each with unique combat styles and updated skills that leverage the new VR functionality, including the new BAMF Time ability. Whether crushing enemies with Maya’s Siren powers, calling in Sabre Turret reinforcements as Axton, feeling the heft of dual-wielded machine guns as Salvador, or the satisfying swing of Zer0’s sword in an enemy’s back, Borderlands 2 VR immerses players like never before.
  • Experience Virtual Improvements: For the first time ever, players can experience the sublime exhilaration of driving around the Borderlands in first-person perspective – accelerating and steering with the joystick and aiming the vehicle’s weapons with their headset. With the use of the motion controllers and headset, players can interact with the menu systems in a new and intuitive way for the platform, easily navigating through the menus by pointing, clicking, dragging and dropping. Players will also have the choice of preferred movement styles. Whether that’s the VR popular pointed-teleportation, or the classic direct movement style with joysticks – your experience should feel good for VR and true to form of classic Borderlands.
  • Get Virtually Rich: Borderlands 2 VR brings shoot-and-loot mechanics to VR with bazillions of procedurally-generated guns and gear, each with their own capabilities and modifiers. Procedurally-generated shields, grenades, relics, class mods and more round out your Vault Hunter’s arsenal for maximum power and mayhem.
Source: https://gematsu.com/2019/08/borderlands-2-vr-coming-to-pc-this-fall

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

100 REPLIES 100

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
The game isn't exactly cheap - $50 or €50 - so it's more expensive than Asgard's Wrath. 

But it's just a 4GB download, downloading now  o:)

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Maybe it's a good choice not to try the game today - and give the devs a few more minutes to work  o:)

itjbbucu0oay.jpg

JoeManji08
Heroic Explorer
Yeah I was thinking the same thing looking at the reviews.  I did however notice that the vast majority of complaints are vive or WMR.  I'll be interested to read some reviews on here from people using Rifts.

MowTin
Expert Trustee
Wow, what a disastrous release. But FO4 VR had a terrible release too. Maybe they can get things resolved. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Yeah I was thinking the same thing looking at the reviews.  I did however notice that the vast majority of complaints are vive or WMR.  I'll be interested to read some reviews on here from people using Rifts.

Agreed, also don't think I saw anyone complaining about Rift CV1, but that was yesterday, haven't checked for new reviews yet. 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RuneSR2 said:

Agreed, also don't think I saw anyone complaining about Rift CV1, but that was yesterday, haven't checked for new reviews yet. 

Found the current Rift reviews, all are positive - seems the game is great on Rift(-S):

1. Loving this game so far. Have an Oculus Rift. None of the issues others are having.

2. i'm running a oculus rift and this game runs great, had to remove the comfort stuff cause i hate the vignette they use to try and reduce motion sickness. i've put about 9 hours into it so far and have to say the controls feel good (im using the run+jump scheme. not teleporting ) although the textures weren't entirely revamped for vr you can tell some textures were. the guns look and feel great, although when it comes to weapons with scopes i dont like how sensitive they are and how zoom is implemented. other than that though id highly recommend and is A LOT of fun. (my specs are a i9 9900k with a 1080ti).

3. There seems to be problems with Vive at this time so beware if you own it but for the Oculus Rift S it was a pleasure to me. I think the price is a bit high and there could have been some improvements like two handed gun aiming. I am having a great time though but it might only be me. The only reason I would refund this game at this time would be the high price but I am sure I will do my part and keep it to help VR in the end and maybe if they get enough money they can address some of the issues.

4. Played on Rift S. Games plays well, the Borderlands 2 world looks great in VR. My only complaint would be the starting scene you can't skip (I've played this through 3 times already, I don't need it again). But great fun, people on the index seem to be having issues, but the Rift S works great.

5. I own a first Gen Rift and I had no problems with this game! It's awesome!
I've been patiently waiting and I was a little skeptical since Asgard's Wrath just came out and was 120gb game and this AAA title was 5gb. But for being 9 years old it's a lot of fun. I've played the PC and PS3 Versions so I know what the old game was like.
There are tons of options for customization. So for all the reviewers saying they can't handle it or that the controls don't work, I can't relate. I have my VR legs, so maybe for people more susceptible to motion sickness might struggle a little, but again plenty of options for COMFORT. The only time my stomach knotted was the intro cut scene. But actual gameplay is great.
My only problem so far is some of the accuracy options on these weapons (97% accuracy) seems a little off. Sometimes I'd just shoot in the exact same position and my bullets would scatter all over the place! But I know there are skills in the game that might help with this. Also, I'm level 5, so what can you expect at the beginning of a game.
I'm looking forward to hours of content and immersing myself in the cell shaded world!

6. This game works well. Minor bugs but playable. I have a Rift S and this game runs very well. I dont understand why others are have so many issues. 5 hours in game, no crashes, minor menu bugs, no studders, no problems at all. I would recommend if you are having issues with the game to post your headset type in the review. This way it can be identified as an issue with the type of headset.

7. Just wanted to let Rift S owners know that the game works fine and is a lot of fun. I have an i7 4820, 32 GB RAM, and an RTX 2070 and able to play with max graphics settings fine.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Seems like Index owners can benefit from using Revive to launch Borderlands 2 VR, because then you get near-perfect Touch emulation, more here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/dlqojt/psa_bl2_vr_works_fine_via_revive/

JoeManji08
Heroic Explorer
After reading the positive Rift reviews, I tried it, and I'm enjoying it.  None of the scale issues that people using vive/index are complaining about (and I'm very sensitive to those and can't stand games with incorrect scale).  It's still obviously a port and not originally made for VR, but it's a decent one. 

The one common conplaint that I have to agree with is scope implementation.  It's a floating giant screen (giant as in it takes up most of your FOV) that comes up when you press the left trigger.  I wouldn't have expected accurate scope optics since it's not a sim shooter, but if this screen was only about as big as the scope itself and positioned right at the back of the scope, it would be much better.

Still enjoying the game and will be keeping it (no choice now anyways as I've already played more than 2 hours lol)

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Still have not tried the game, hope to do it this evening, I'll probably just try Index first in normal SteamVR before considering Revive... I mean, how bad can it be?  😄

I might keep it if it's better than Flappy Wings  B)

nalex66
MVP
MVP
For anyone who's played it, is there a left-handed mode or option in the settings?

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo