cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different between included and new Oculus Link Headset Cable?

iamAdabei
Explorer
I am looking forward to finally buy an Oclus Quest. Now there was an announcement, that it will be possible to Link the Quest to the PC. I have seen there is already a long Cable included. What is the different between the included cable and the new announced Oculus Link Headset Cable?

6 REPLIES 6

h.r.gargi
Heroic Explorer
The included one is a USB 2 cable, more intended for loading your Quest. For Link you will need a new one.

Meta Facebook Community Accelerator 2022 winner
Facebook Community Partner
Founder of the Meta Quest VR Familie - The largest German Facebook Group for VR and Metaverse
https://www.facebook.com/groups/oculusvrgermany/

iamAdabei
Explorer
Ok thanks, i thought a USB-C to C cable is always a 3.1 standard and capable for high speed data transfer.

enigma01
Trustee
Its actually a USB-C USB 2.0 cable. There is another post here https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/76569/whos-stupid-idea. Were DaftnDirect has tested the transfer speed of the supplied cable, and the results was in USB 2.0 region. 

iamAdabei
Explorer
Very interesting - thanks for the link. Now it makes sense for me that they will sell a new cable. I think i will wait till November if they sell a Bundle with the Quest and new Cable.

iamAdabei
Explorer
Just to complete my topic, and if anyone else search for this - I also got an answer from the support.

The charging cable is just like a cell phone type of charging
cable. It carries power and some standard data transfer. The Link has a high
capacity data transfer capability that can fully support the headset in high
demand play mode. Somewhat in the order of difference of MBs to GBs of data
transfer.

The Link is a "duplex" cable in that it has 2 channels
for simultaneous data transfer - 1 way for data out and 1 way for data in, in a
continuous stream. The charging cable is a "simplex" cable - the data
shoots one way - then it comes back the other way. One direction transfer at a
time. Most of these C to USBs average around 5mbps -way too slow to support
graphics.

We do not have the specs yet on whether this will be run through
the CPU or your GPU - Graphics card specs or wattage requirements for the 3.0
connector.

Flayff
Honored Guest

iamAdabei said:

Very interesting - thanks for the link. Now it makes sense for me that they will sell a new cable. I think i will wait till November if they sell a Bundle with the Quest and new Cable.

The new cable won't come with the release of link. Probably in December but they don't know yet.