cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Quest and random WIFI lost issues

JohSm67
Rising Star
Hi,

Some people are reporting that they get "Wifi connection is lost" randomly during usage! So do I....

I have not been digging to deep in to this yet.
But when checking around in forums there are some reports telling you that it might occur when you are using the same SSID on dualband (2,4 & 5 GHz) wifi routers / AP's! (Or if it's simply occuring if it switches between AP's)

I'm using like 4 Ubiquiti Unifi AP's in the house with a Cloudkey controller.
It's feels like it's working ok, have not seen this on other WIFI devices in my setup. But it could simply happen in the background on other devices. 

The Oculus Quest seems to loose the connection and reestablish it for me randomly, the closest AP is only like 2 meters from the Oculus Quest.
So it's abit annoying when information popup randomly during gameplay. (Yesterday while streaming to FB)

Any one else been experience it and found a solution for it? Known issue with Oculus?

I will test to create a dedicated SSID using the 5GHz band for all AP's only, to see if it helps and might be related to using the same SSID on 2,4 & 5 GHz.
If that do not help, I will try to use a Single AP using same SSID on 2,4 & 5 GHz, to see if it could be relate to switching between AP's.
Last test would be to use one SSID on the 5GHz band and a singel dedicated AP.

This will take some time to test as it's randomly occuring, so any other feedback on the issue from you out there would be nice!

By the way, are there any way to extract a local WIFI / Event log, from the Oculus Quest to investigate it easier?

Regards
Johan
JohSm
92 REPLIES 92

NosePunch
Adventurer
I have a Netgear XR500 wireless router and setup a guest access for just the Quest, and it still kept losing the WiFi connection.

arie2816
Honored Guest
Same problem here with Orbi Mesh  Network

Anonymous
Not applicable
I bought the Oculus Quest the day it came out.  I didn’t notice issues until I started playing online games like Elven Assassin and Wands.  It is extremely frustrating to keep dropping wifi even though all of my other devices don’t have issues.  My son just got a Quest too so we now have two in our home and his drops wifi constantly also. We are using an Orbi router and I cannot set a dedicated 5Ghz connection.  My son has a file hub that he is now using to connect to the wifi.  He then connects the Quest to his file hub.  He hasn’t been dropping since using it but shortly after he connects directly to the Orbi his wifi drops again. Please fix this Oculus.  I don’t know why all of my other devices can connect with no issue.  Seems like this should be something a Quest update should fix soon especially since it has been an issue since launch. I love my Quest and use it everyday.  Just really frustrated and not being able to play online due to wifi drops. 

BluSnake57
Honored Guest
I'm getting the same issue with my Orbi mesh router. It's really starting to get agitating especially when watching movies because this is my main tv and having it lose connection every 20 minutes ruins the experience.

JohSm67
Rising Star
Seems like there is a lot of issues with the Netgear Orbi productline!

There are alot of settings to playaround with in it’s settings

Try disabling the following:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Also do Firmware upgrade if not already done.

Set one SSID name for 5GHz band
And another SSID name for the 2GHz band. 

Then use the 5GHz band SSID.

Or open up a support ticket with Netgear and one with Oculus.
JohSm

Anonymous
Not applicable
JohSm67.  I have latest firmware. You cannot separate 2.4 and 5 GHz on the Orbi without renaming them through CMD prompt and other things that would be difficult for users not familiar with old DOS and CMD prompts.  I did that and it sort of worked but caused my satellites to stop working so had to switch back so I could have the coverage in my household .  Still think it is an Oculus issue since I have numerous other devices and none loose connection.  Using a file hub to create a separate 5Ghz network works but then I can’t cast to my tv since it is wired ethernet and no longer on the same network.  Can’t seem to win. I have fast internet. When my kid and I are both using our Quests we can play Elven Assassin together for hours with no drop. Just can’t cast Beat Saber To the tv which is frustrating because playing in a group when no one else can see is boring for everyone else.  

DabombTJ
Honored Guest
I just got a Quest a few weeks ago.  I have an Orbi system as well and after reading many posts I think this is a Quest issue that needs to be fixed.  For now I have to restart my Quest to get wifi working for about 10 minutes and then it will disconnect.  So i purchase my games on the app and hope i can download them before it disconnects.  I cannot seperate my channels since it is a mesh system, but I also have had this Orbi system for 2 years and have never had a dropped connection issues with any device until I got the Quest, so I think this is much more an Oculus issue than a Orbi issue.  They really need to fix this issue with mesh networks!

JohSm67
Rising Star
Open a support ticket with Oculus!

Even if it’s a mesh system it should be able to Use different SSID’s
(But i guess different vendors has their settings.)

I didn’t open up a ticket as I found a way to get it super stable by creating an additional SSID for ”Oculus” devices that is dedicated on the closests AP’s and only using the 5GHz band

But I guess it should be reported to be corrected!

Temp workaround connect by another small cheap 5GHz router (in Bridge mode) if you cant change advance settings on them!

The Netgear Orbi if you google it, it appears other Wifi drop issues with it.
So I should also open up a support ticket with Netgear for it!
JohSm

DapperDanVR
Honored Guest
Is Oculus going to Fix this issue soon or at least acknowledge it? Seems like there’s a lot of people out there that have been having this issue for months and they haven’t done anything? Im an original Rift owner and was really excited for this headset but now I’m having to consider returning it.. WiFi dropping every 15-20 minutes is absolutely unacceptable for this product. I can’t complete a single online game without it disconnecting which makes half my library unplayable and those titles were the reason I bought the quest in the first place. This also definitely seems to be something on Oculus’s end since every WiFi network I connect to (all strong signals, no dropped connections) this still happens. Also This is a great piece of tech and I’ve already invested quite a bit of money into my Quest library but this issue ruins the online experiences which is why I bought it. It’s Really disappointing to see this from a company I respected and supported so much. Also worth noting I had a clunky right joystick with drifting issues right out of the box so A+ quality control there. Definitely not feeling like I got a $500 product.

Rawl_Draw
Honored Guest
I've had the great luck of working with an ISP that gives users a separated 5 band channel so I could put there my headset, but it isn't the normal situation, and I was having same issues until I realized this (thanks to this forum and nothing else). Seeing the huge community affected by this for so long, I think it's a big, big shame for so big corporation.