New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Issues with Oculus Rift S......opinions on going back to CV1

JoeyC132JoeyC132 Posts: 20
Brain Burst
So I sold my CV1 with the arrival of the S and dragged my feet for a few months before finally buying the S last week. The family really missed all of our VR games and was so excited to back into it. Unfortunately I have been unable to get past the setup because of the usb 3.0 asmedia issue. I have contacted Oculus and tried all of the recommended steps in hopes of getting this to work. I am at a point where returning the S and finding a used CV1 appears to be my option considering it worked great on this same computer. I loved the CV1 and only sold it because I was seduced by the improved visuals and lack of sensor bars on the S. So my question is this:

Is the S that big of a leap in visuals and tech to justify continuing the fight to get this to work on my computer? 

Thanks!!

Comments

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,735 Volunteer Moderator
    It's like marmite mate you either love it or hate it. Some swear by the old CV1 and sensor set up but others swear by the improvement that is the S. I'd say as you now have the S to keep tinkering away and when you get it working then decide.
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,916 Valuable Player
    edited October 2019
    Did you buy a USB 3.0 card? What is the usb 3.0 asmedia issue? 

I would really try to get it working because the visuals are much better with the Rift-S imo.
    i7 9700k 2080ti   CV1, Rift-S, Index
  • ShocksVRShocksVR Posts: 486
    Trinity
    edited October 2019
    If you can't get the S to work, you also have Quest + Link as an option.
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,537 Valuable Player
    You may want to post more details on what all you have tried and what it is exactly doing.
    I have run my Rift S through both Intel and AsMedia ports without any problem.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • JoeyC132JoeyC132 Posts: 20
    Brain Burst
    First off I have to admit that I haven't spent enough time understanding the VR options. I just want to play some awesome games:) This was the first time I heard about the quest link and my interest has peaked. If its capable of nearly matching the S quality and titles then it would seem like a no duh when deciding between quest and rift. 

My problem is because of my usb 3.0 ports are not allowing the rift to complete the setup. The display port lights up green but the usb is red and the setup is unable to continue. The messages I have received tells me that the usb drive is unable to power the device or that the usb 3.0 is not compatible. This could be because of the age of my motherboard, which is an asus P8Z68-V PRO. My processor is an i7 3770k and video card is an msi gtx1060 gaming x 6gb. My system is older but I didn't think the S would have an issue considering the cv1 worked flawlessly.  

I was planning on buying a new usb pci card to see if this fixes the issue. I am however a bit torn after hearing about the quest link:) 

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,157 Valuable Player
    First off I have to admit that I haven't spent enough time understanding the VR options. I just want to play some awesome games:) This was the first time I heard about the quest link and my interest has peaked. If its capable of nearly matching the S quality and titles then it would seem like a no duh when deciding between quest and rift. 

My problem is because of my usb 3.0 ports are not allowing the rift to complete the setup. The display port lights up green but the usb is red and the setup is unable to continue. The messages I have received tells me that the usb drive is unable to power the device or that the usb 3.0 is not compatible. This could be because of the age of my motherboard, which is an asus P8Z68-V PRO. My processor is an i7 3770k and video card is an msi gtx1060 gaming x 6gb. My system is older but I didn't think the S would have an issue considering the cv1 worked flawlessly.  

I was planning on buying a new usb pci card to see if this fixes the issue. I am however a bit torn after hearing about the quest link:) 

Don't be silly, just get a proper usb 3.0 card like the startech 4 port pcie usb 3.0 card.  I have this card and it works great.

https://www.startech.com/au/Cards-Adapters/USB-3.0/Cards/PCI-Express-USB-3-Card-4-Dedicated-Channels-4-Port~PEXUSB3S44V

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• sford52sford52 Posts: 179
    Art3mis
    edited October 2019
    Would you be able to use something like the (powered) Sabrent 4-Port USB 3.0 Hub with Individual LED Power Switches? I use it, as does @RuneSR2 (https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/710746#Comment_710746). It's only $8 from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-4-Port-Individual-Switches-HB-UM43/dp/B00JX1ZS5O)

ASUS ROG Strix GL702VS-AH73 17.3" Laptop.  I7-7700HQ, GTX1070, 12 GB DDR4 RAM, 500 EVO 970 GB SSD, VS 2017, Oculus rift, Windows 10 home
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,157 Valuable Player
    Not if he does not have a decent/comatible usb port to plug these into imho.  Nor do these provide additional usb bandwidth.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• kojackkojack Posts: 6,423 Volunteer Moderator
    This could be because of the age of my motherboard, which is an asus P8Z68-V PRO. My processor is an i7 3770k and video card is an msi gtx1060 gaming x 6gb. My system is older but I didn't think the S would have an issue considering the cv1 worked flawlessly.   
    I used to have an Asus P9X79 with i7 3930k for my CV1. None of the onboard usb 3 ports worked with the CV1, I had to use an addon card. I bought a pair of Vantec PC370a cards, each gave me 2 usb ports using Asmedia 1142 controllers. Perfect for the CV1, everything worked great.

Eventually I upgraded to an Asrock Taichi x399 with threadripper cpu. The CV1 worked perfectly on all ports, no addons needed.

Then I got the Rift-S. None of the Taichi's ports liked the Rift-S consistently. The old addon cards (even with their extra power connections) didn't work with the Rift-S at all. The only way to get it working even slightly was through a powered hub plugged into just one specific usb port on the motherboard. But even that was very unreliable, sometimes it took more than a day to get the headset to start with full tracking.

However since the 1.42 runtime, my Rift-S is fully stable, not a single connection issue (although I haven't tried it without the hub).

Ok, long story short: CV1 and Rift-S have different USB requirements (CV1 had bandwidth and compatibility issues, Rift-S has power issues), if a system supports one of them, it may fail with the other.

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,213 Valuable Player
    TomCgcmfc said:

Don't be silly, just get a proper usb 3.0 card like the startech 4 port pcie usb 3.0 card.  I have this card and it works great.

https://www.startech.com/au/Cards-Adapters/USB-3.0/Cards/PCI-Express-USB-3-Card-4-Dedicated-Channels-4-Port~PEXUSB3S44V

Agreed.  This is the absolute BEST USB card for the Oculus.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,449 Volunteer Moderator
    Digikid1 said:
    TomCgcmfc said:

Agreed.  This is the absolute BEST USB card for the Oculus.
    That card is perfect for a CV1, but it’s overkill for a Rift S. He only needs one good USB port. I think they offer a cheaper one with one controller instead of four. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • blanesblanes Posts: 1,100
    3Jane
    edited October 2019
    Yeah that is overkill for sure and way too expensive for that system.  You must be able to find something that works equally well for around 20 bucks tops.  My i7-6700K sits on an Asus mobo and the only port which works to power my Rift S is the usb 3.1 port.  I think it has some extra juice available to it because all the other 3.0 ports will work for 5 minutes then fall over saying there is something wrong and the Rift is not detected.  I am certain it is the power requirement of the Rift S.  You really only need one good usb 3.0 with enough power available.  

If you did however want that Startech 4 port internal hub then ebay has it cheaper at 79 bucks aussie

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4-Port-PCI-Express-PCIe-SuperSpeed-USB-3-0-Controller-Card-Adapter-with-SATA/352536496973?epid=1608609966&hash=item5214d00b4d:g:7aoAAOSwBRFaO9r9&frcectupt=true

If it were me though I would try this one for $15 bucks and it has a VIA chipset on it 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4-Port-USB-3-0-Hub-PCI-E-PCI-Express-Card-Adapter-5-Gbps-Speed-for-XP-Win7-8-10/253192397828?epid=8020623593&hash=item3af3716404:g:CIkAAOSwRjVc-QS0&frcectupt=true
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 5,332 Valuable Player
    edited October 2019
    sford52 said:
    Would you be able to use something like the (powered) Sabrent 4-Port USB 3.0 Hub with Individual LED Power Switches? I use it, as does @RuneSR2 (https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/710746#Comment_710746). It's only $8 from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-4-Port-Individual-Switches-HB-UM43/dp/B00JX1ZS5O)

To be more specific - the image was just an example of a hub where you can switch individual ports on and off. I use a similar 4-ports hub with individual power switches, but it's connected to a usb-c 3.1 Gen2 port on my MSI mainboard, and that port can supply a massive 100W of power (5A, 20V). And that specific Gen2 port is certified by MSI to be VR-Ready - bought at a time where only CV1 and Vive were available. 

So it's not the same to connect a hub to a normal usb-a port. 

I have two MSI certified VR-Ready usb ports on my mainboard (both are 3.1 Gen2), one usb-a and one usb-c - I use one for CV1 (c) and the other for the Index (a). I never had problems connecting CV1 or the Index - but I've only used the VR-Ready ports.

Post image

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    Brain Burst
    hahaha.....what did I get myself into:) Thanks for all the replies and information. Yeah I wouldn't want to spend over $20 for a usb pci card. I am sure that $100 card is great but I couldn't justify spending that much for a usb port:) 
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,506 Valuable Player
    Both the Rift and Rift S are finicky with on board USBs, and they're also finicky with regards to PCI-E expansions and powered hubs too. The Startech card is a bit over the top and is pretty expensive. Get yourself the 4 port Inateck one instead:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inateck-Superspeed-Ports-PCI-Expansion/dp/B00B6ZCNGM/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=inatek+usb&qid=1572230615&sr=8-1

Only 20 quid and works fine, this is one of the two cards recommended by Oculus, with the Starteck one being the other one. I wouldn't chance getting any other because these two are guaranteed to work and any others may be pot luck.

"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • Birthday_BoyBirthday_Boy Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Owner of a bunch of headsets here and the rift s need to be recalled. there is so may issue with that steaming pile of [Censored] it's unbelievable. As much as the Quest is a winner, the Rift S seems to be some random electronic part clued together that something work.
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 1,180
    Wintermute
    Mectron said:
    Owner of a bunch of headsets here and the rift s need to be recalled. there is so may issue with that steaming pile of [Censored] it's unbelievable. As much as the Quest is a winner, the Rift S seems to be some random electronic part clued together that something work.
    Odd....  That description doesn't quite match reality in my case :)

Initial software/firmware issues appear to be resolved and I can use my Rift S for hours without anything going awry - and the latest PTC software is superb in comparison to previous releases.

Horses for courses I guess.
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.
    Rift S
    Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,537 Valuable Player
    RattyUK said:
    Mectron said:
    Odd....  That description doesn't quite match reality in my case :)

Initial software/firmware issues appear to be resolved and I can use my Rift S for hours without anything going awry - and the latest PTC software is superb in comparison to previous releases.

Horses for courses I guess.
    Yep same here, use mine many hours a week with no issue.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • Knightshade.SteveKnightshade.Steve Posts: 80
    Hiro Protagonist
    I've got cheap usb 3 ports as well, so i use USB 2 for the CV1
    If the OP is anything to go by, im assuming the S won't work through USB2.
    I don't think spending £150 on a pci-e usb card is a fair solution, you could get a brand new compliant motherboard for half the price.
    I hope you find a viable solution, I also have a Go and would personally consider upgrading that to a Quest before buying the S.
  • SwoopGTSwoopGT Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    edited October 2019
    A USB 3 PCI-E card should not cost £150
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 777
    3Jane
    edited October 2019
    Amazon....2 years ago for the same issues you are having non stop, but then i bought a Inateck Superspeed 4 Ports PCI-E to USB 3.0 Expansion Card ....Still using the card today 2 years later and still works perfectly with the CV1, WMR Dell vr visor and the Vive......£19.99.....worth every penny.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,506 Valuable Player
    I've got cheap usb 3 ports as well, so i use USB 2 for the CV1
    If the OP is anything to go by, im assuming the S won't work through USB2.
    I don't think spending £150 on a pci-e usb card is a fair solution, you could get a brand new compliant motherboard for half the price.
    I hope you find a viable solution, I also have a Go and would personally consider upgrading that to a Quest before buying the S.
    SwoopGT said:
    A USB 3 PCI-E card should not cost £150

There's absolutely no need to spend that sort of cash on a card. Just get an Inateck one instead, 20 quid. Job done.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • ThmoasThmoas Posts: 329
    Trinity
    edited October 2019
    Are you running Windows 10 and are running the default drivers installed by Windows 10? Doesn't this mobo has Intel USB3 ports? Try to use these ports, the Asmedia from that era sucks indeed. Use the ports at the back of the PC, the ones at the front are already "extended" with a cable.

Teh Startech card is great for CV1. You can connect 4 sensors to this thing all extended up to 5m and this card would run it fine (one USB controller per port, expensive). I have this card but it's now in a box with my CV1 and 4 Sensors as I much prefer Rift S.

For Rift S, you only need one good port. Get the Inateck 4 port card recommended by Oculus it's only $20 or so. On my modern PC it works on all ports and have it plugged in the nVidia VirtualLink port with USB C adapter. This frees up all ports on mobo.

Brain Burst
    Yes I am running windows 10 and everything has been updated. My motherboard is just too old and those usb 3.0 ports just don't cut it. I decided to exchange the S for the Quest, which I felt pretty mixed about. I imagine I will still have to buy a pci card for the quest link to work but felt the quest was the better option at this time. I do appreciate the recommendations and information. 

So far I am impressed with the Quality of the quest. Seems to run good and fit comfortable even with the extra weight. I played the demo of Beat Saber and had so much fun:) I was disappointed that superhot vr wasn't cross compatible since I already purchased for the rift, but oh well:)
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,720 Volunteer Moderator

For the S and CV1 it might be worth considering a card that has both USB 3.1 A and C connections, just on the off-chance you want to get Quest in the future. Plus it's pretty much guaranteed to be useful for an increasing number of USB-C peripherals as time goes on.

A 2-port A & C for the S or maybe a 5 port for CV1 (1 on-board)

or if you really want to be fancy, a 5 port card and a front facing A & C break-out box so your headset can be plugged into the front. Well a Quest could be, Rifts would still have to be at the back for the GPU connection.

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1909 (18363.836)