cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC VIVE Cosmos has launched - specs, reviews and impressions

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Moved this post from another thread - Cosmos deserves its own thread. And Cosmos is out - I kinda like the music, lol:

https://youtu.be/RmI8mLskRXs

https://youtu.be/5vkqM1hhs3A

$700 (includes free 12-month VIVEPORT Infinity membership,worth $99):

https://www.vive.com/us/product/cosmos/

So no phoneVR, but something much better:

Wireless Adapter
Untethered virtual reality is here. Remove cords from the equation. Move freely. Get powerful visual and audio transmission at 60GHz. Featuring Intel® WiGig technology. 
*Sold separately.
Thus untethered is still 90 Hz, but transmission is done at 60 GHz. 

And HTC did what Oculus failed to do - they've added support for external sensors too, this could be the most awesome tracking options ever made - this may also help HTC not getting a lot of criticism in case inside-out isn't working perfectly (like Rift-S in the beginning):

External Tracking Mod
Lighthouse tracking support. Combine the precision of Lighthouse tracking with the flexibility of VIVE Cosmos with this novel mod. Coming soon.
*External Tracking Mod sold separately.
*SteamVR™ compatible base stations and controllers sold separately.
Full specs:

w3q12x108wyk.jpg

Cosmos places itself between Rift-S and Index, probably a very smart move. You can upgrade the tracking to probably be better than Index, but you won't get the Index fov and refresh rates - and you won't get the Knuckles. 

Regarding the hardware Cosmos looks much better than Rift-S, but it's also nearly twice as expensive. And Oculus has a lot of exclusive content. Tracking and controllers may win greatly compared to Reverb, but of course Reverb still has the better res. 

Cosmos res is 33 % higher than Rift-S. And 6% higher than the Index. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

434 REPLIES 434

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Mradr said:

Note, 5G is set to allow VR use as it does lower the time and increase bandwidth speed base of wifi 6 improvements as well. So I can understand where the confusion comes from. 

Ya, I kinda think that Vive will wait for this tech to catch up before introducing a standalone module for the Cosmos.  So, until then the Quest rules mobile VR imho.

I hate to get back on topic........

I got a nice surprise from Viveport yesterday.  Along with the 12 months free Infinity subscription that came with my Cosmos pre-order I got a message offering me a 2 month free subscription.  I said ok and it automatically added another 2 months of free access so at this time I'm good till Dec/2020.  As a bonus, this subscription is also valid for my Rift.  I now have (thanks to Rune..) a dual Rift cv1/Cosmos VR setup so this is kinda handy. 

Current Viveport Infinity games for Cosmos = 475, for Rift = 301.

Even with my Cosmos's current tracking and controller compatibility issues it has completely taken over all my Flight and Racing sims.  My Rift cv1 w/2x sensors still rules tracking-wise and many Oculus games still look almost good-as using OTT and 2x SS.  I feel very spoiled, lol!
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
I think Cosmos is working now 😉

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
HTC says in a recent blog post that the update looks to improve low-light tracking in Cosmos, and do it with better prediction during fast movements. The company is also aiming to reduce tracking jitter, something that we noticed even in optimal lighting conditions.

https://www.roadtovr.com/htc-update-vive-cosmos-tracking-october/
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

RuneSR2 said:

Na, who needs Revive when you have dual VR headsets and one includes a Rift cv1 w/2.0 SS, lol!
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Anonymous
Not applicable

😄 😄 😄 😛

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

TomCgcmfc said:

RuneSR2 said:

Na, who needs Revive when you have dual VR headsets and one includes a Rift cv1 w/2.0 SS, lol!

Try Lucky's Tale on the Cosmos res 200%, much better than CV1 ss 2.0? 😉 But yes, having CV1 ss 2.0 is still awesome.

Anonymous
Not applicable
One of the big benefits of the Rift S is that when they increased the resolution and dropped down the refresh rate it means that you can supersample at the higher resolution at the same rate without any drop in performance

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

snowdog said:

One of the big benefits of the Rift S is that when they increased the resolution and dropped down the refresh rate it means that you can supersample at the higher resolution at the same rate without any drop in performance

Ya, the only thing that turned me off with the Rift S was the touch controller grip/release lag.  Taking the battery covers off seemed to fix this most of the time.  I presume that's all fixed now?

Meanwhile, back at the Cosmos ranch....... all is not beer and skittles, lol!

As much as I love my new Cosmos with all my Flight and Racing sims, the rest of my experience is not so good.  The Cosmos tracking with all archery and slingshot games makes these almost unplayable, for me anyway.  Hopefully, like similar early tracking issues the Rift S had, this will get sorted out soon. 

Also, I'm not very happy with the Cosmos controller's compatibility issues.  Most Steam and Viveport games, even ones that say they are Cosmos ready, either do not work, or treats them like the older Vive wands which makes for a lot of thumbstick clicking.  Since the Cosmos controllers are basically the same layout as the Rift touch controllers I don't understand why these cannot be made to work the same??? 

At this point, all the Cosmos games I've installed off my free Viveport subscription are Oculus Rift compatible and I have found that they all play much better with my good old Rift cv1 w/2x sensors and a little extra SS (1.5-2.0, depending on the game).

Also, while Vive support have been very responsive, they have yet to offer me any useful advice/fixes so far.  All I seem to be doing is generating and sending them a lot of logfiles.  For some reason these take a lot longer to generate/send these than the Oculus Rift ones.  Even with my very good gaming PC it takes ~30 minutes to generate/send these.

Hopefully things will improve with the Cosmos in the near future but for now I'm starting to question how good an investment my Cosmos is, esp. given the fact that for the same price I could have bought a  Rift S and Quest, lol!  BTW, the Valve Index is still not available in Australia (except from silly cost US shipping companies) nor do I want to have to go with Valve Lighthouses.

Anonymous
Not applicable

TomCgcmfc said:

snowdog said:

Ya, the only thing that turned me off with the Rift S was the touch controller grip/release lag.  Taking the battery covers off seemed to fix this most of the time.  I presume that's all fixed now?

It must be I guess as I am not experiencing that, though I don't think I ever really did either.

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

RuneSR2 said:

TomCgcmfc said:

RuneSR2 said:

Try Lucky's Tale on the Cosmos res 200%, much better than CV1 ss 2.0? 😉 But yes, having CV1 ss 2.0 is still awesome.

I just did the GearVR mod on OG Vive and the moment i put it on it was quite clear that Oculus and Vive could right now still be selling the CV1 and Vive, but with a slightly revised version with one simple revision, more uptodate lense, because the minute you eliminate the god ray issue completly, these HMD become so much more, regardless of res per eye or sde, once the god rays are gone it is astonishing just how much is being missed because of the GR issue, and i can 't imagine how glorious the CV1 would look with similar lense as i can't emphasis just what a difference two little lense have made on almost 4 year old produced HMD, it i amazing, and i can only weep when i think of what the CV1 headset with these lense and the great touch controllers would be like to have, it would be a amazing HMD. :'(

CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.