cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Official "Books Worth Reading" Thread

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I used to be an avid reader, but over time I've found it difficult to commit to the literature being released. I figure I just must be missing out on the good stuff. Use this thread to recommend the "best of the best" that you've encountered.

I've read all but the last "Game of Thrones" (Ice and Fire) books. However, my favorite series of all time is Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind. Before that, I read a ton of fantasy and horror books, but none worth really recommending. Probably my favorite Stephen King book is Needful Things.

Any other readers out there?
152 REPLIES 152

Luciferous
Consultant
yeah Bobiverse was a brilliant, original series. Mistborn also is a cracking read.

On another note, the Ascend Online Series went a little down hill after the first book and turned more into a teen book, so I would skip my recommendation on that.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I finished Book 2 of the Name of the Wind series. I am really enjoying it, but I do have some friendly gripes about it that I figured I would share here. Specifically because the gripes are related to the reason I started this thread to begin with.

I consider the Sword of Truth series one of the greatest of all time (except for the ending, that part sucked). And I find it hard to read other novels since either:
  • They are not good enough
  • They are not original enough
The Name of the Wind series falls in to category two. While the story is well written and entertaining, it shares way too much in common with the Sword of Truth:
  • The plot revolves around a male character
  • The main character begins by losing his family
  • The main character first develops a relationship with a wise old man
  • The main character learns magic accidentally (it was inherent)
  • After learning magic, the main character spends time with a tribe learning advanced combat
  • Both characters end up in a lengthy side-quest where they spend time alone with a woman. In Sword of Truth, the character learns the art of pain from her. In the Name of the Wind, the character learns the art of sex from her.
  • The main character is chasing an enemy that is the most powerful evil in history.
I plan to read every book in the Name of the Wind series. I'm not trying to trash it. But as my primary criticism, it is very "Sword of Truth formula." I do feel that most stories available copy some working formula.

Having said all that, I have now moved on to Mistborn. And so far I love it! There are multiple main characters as far as I can tell. Multiple plots, all simultaneous. And there is nothing formulaic about any of it. At least not yet! This may very well be the series I was looking for. Time will tell!

Luciferous
Consultant
Brandon Sanderson also wrote another good series called the stormlight archive. I think mist born was his best but this one comes a close second.

He seems to have the knack for fleshing out worlds and magical laws.

JeremyC85
Heroic Explorer

Brandon Sanderson also wrote another good series called the stormlight archive. I think mist born was his best but this one comes a close second.

hes one of the best for sure. Just be forewarned, the Stormlight Archive is planned to be 10 books and only the first three are out! 

JeremyC85
Heroic Explorer

Zenbane said:

Having said all that, I have now moved on to Mistborn. And so far I love it! There are multiple main characters as far as I can tell. Multiple plots, all simultaneous. And there is nothing formulaic about any of it. At least not yet! This may very well be the series I was looking for. Time will tell!

great choice! One of the best series around. Once you're done, he has a few additional books in the same universe that you can read. 

Luciferous
Consultant
Yes good point, Mistborn is a trilogy but I have read all the other books that come after in the same universe and they are equally as good.

List here on his website:-

https://brandonsanderson.com/books/#book

I have read from Storm Light Archive:

Way of Kings
Words OF Radiance
Oath Bringer

Edge Dancer - kind of an offshoot.

Didn't realise there were 10 intended in total which is great news. The guy is a book writing machine 🙂

I was thinking of starting the Steel heart series as the plot reminds me of the recent Amazon series 'The Boys' 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Great info. At this rate, I'll end up reading most - if not all of those recommendations. Having them on Audible is a huge plus. I listen to these books on my wireless headphones while: cooking, cleaning, driving, and especially while working out at the gym. I spend close to 2 hours at the gym, about 3-4 times a week. And all I listen to are Audio books. It has been many years since I have enjoyed a good series of books. Feels great to return to some quality story-telling.

Tadin
Heroic Explorer

JeremyC85 said:

hes one of the best for sure. Just be forewarned, the Stormlight Archive is planned to be 10 books and only the first three are out! 

I picked up the Wheel of Time series as a trilogy in 1991 and it was over 20 years until the entire series was complete, so be ready to re-read all the previous books every time a new one comes out..... Great series though !

JeremyC85
Heroic Explorer

I was thinking of starting the Steel heart series as the plot reminds me of the recent Amazon series 'The Boys' 

Another good series, I'd give it a very solid B+ with mist born being an A+

If you like Sanderson, you will love anything by Mark Lawrence. His prince of thorns trilogy might be the best I've ever read. Ever. 

Luciferous
Consultant
So you think prince of thorns trilogy is better than Mistborn? I'll probably look them up then.