cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with Oculus Rift S......opinions on going back to CV1

JoeyC132
Protege
So I sold my CV1 with the arrival of the S and dragged my feet for a few months before finally buying the S last week. The family really missed all of our VR games and was so excited to back into it. Unfortunately I have been unable to get past the setup because of the usb 3.0 asmedia issue. I have contacted Oculus and tried all of the recommended steps in hopes of getting this to work. I am at a point where returning the S and finding a used CV1 appears to be my option considering it worked great on this same computer. I loved the CV1 and only sold it because I was seduced by the improved visuals and lack of sensor bars on the S. So my question is this:

Is the S that big of a leap in visuals and tech to justify continuing the fight to get this to work on my computer? 

Thanks!!
26 REPLIES 26

Digikid1
Consultant

TomCgcmfc said:

First off I have to admit that I haven't spent enough time understanding the VR options. I just want to play some awesome games:) This was the first time I heard about the quest link and my interest has peaked. If its capable of nearly matching the S quality and titles then it would seem like a no duh when deciding between quest and rift. 

My problem is because of my usb 3.0 ports are not allowing the rift to complete the setup. The display port lights up green but the usb is red and the setup is unable to continue. The messages I have received tells me that the usb drive is unable to power the device or that the usb 3.0 is not compatible. This could be because of the age of my motherboard, which is an asus P8Z68-V PRO. My processor is an i7 3770k and video card is an msi gtx1060 gaming x 6gb. My system is older but I didn't think the S would have an issue considering the cv1 worked flawlessly.  

I was planning on buying a new usb pci card to see if this fixes the issue. I am however a bit torn after hearing about the quest link:) 

Don't be silly, just get a proper usb 3.0 card like the startech 4 port pcie usb 3.0 card.  I have this card and it works great.

https://www.startech.com/au/Cards-Adapters/USB-3.0/Cards/PCI-Express-USB-3-Card-4-Dedicated-Channels...

Agreed.  This is the absolute BEST USB card for the Oculus.

nalex66
MVP
MVP

Digikid1 said:

TomCgcmfc said:

First off I have to admit that I haven't spent enough time understanding the VR options. I just want to play some awesome games:) This was the first time I heard about the quest link and my interest has peaked. If its capable of nearly matching the S quality and titles then it would seem like a no duh when deciding between quest and rift. 

My problem is because of my usb 3.0 ports are not allowing the rift to complete the setup. The display port lights up green but the usb is red and the setup is unable to continue. The messages I have received tells me that the usb drive is unable to power the device or that the usb 3.0 is not compatible. This could be because of the age of my motherboard, which is an asus P8Z68-V PRO. My processor is an i7 3770k and video card is an msi gtx1060 gaming x 6gb. My system is older but I didn't think the S would have an issue considering the cv1 worked flawlessly.  

I was planning on buying a new usb pci card to see if this fixes the issue. I am however a bit torn after hearing about the quest link:) 

Don't be silly, just get a proper usb 3.0 card like the startech 4 port pcie usb 3.0 card.  I have this card and it works great.

https://www.startech.com/au/Cards-Adapters/USB-3.0/Cards/PCI-Express-USB-3-Card-4-Dedicated-Channels...

Agreed.  This is the absolute BEST USB card for the Oculus.

That card is perfect for a CV1, but it’s overkill for a Rift S. He only needs one good USB port. I think they offer a cheaper one with one controller instead of four. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

blanes
Rising Star
Yeah that is overkill for sure and way too expensive for that system.  You must be able to find something that works equally well for around 20 bucks tops.  My i7-6700K sits on an Asus mobo and the only port which works to power my Rift S is the usb 3.1 port.  I think it has some extra juice available to it because all the other 3.0 ports will work for 5 minutes then fall over saying there is something wrong and the Rift is not detected.  I am certain it is the power requirement of the Rift S.  You really only need one good usb 3.0 with enough power available.  

If you did however want that Startech 4 port internal hub then ebay has it cheaper at 79 bucks aussie

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4-Port-PCI-Express-PCIe-SuperSpeed-USB-3-0-Controller-Card-Adapter-with-...

If it were me though I would try this one for $15 bucks and it has a VIA chipset on it 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4-Port-USB-3-0-Hub-PCI-E-PCI-Express-Card-Adapter-5-Gbps-Speed-for-XP-Wi...

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

sford52 said:

Would you be able to use something like the (powered) Sabrent 4-Port USB 3.0 Hub with Individual LED Power Switches? I use it, as does @RuneSR2 (https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/710746#Comment_710746). It's only $8 from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-4-Port-Individual-Switches-HB-UM43/dp/B00JX1ZS5O)

To be more specific - the image was just an example of a hub where you can switch individual ports on and off. I use a similar 4-ports hub with individual power switches, but it's connected to a usb-c 3.1 Gen2 port on my MSI mainboard, and that port can supply a massive 100W of power (5A, 20V). And that specific Gen2 port is certified by MSI to be VR-Ready - bought at a time where only CV1 and Vive were available. 

So it's not the same to connect a hub to a normal usb-a port. 

I have two MSI certified VR-Ready usb ports on my mainboard (both are 3.1 Gen2), one usb-a and one usb-c - I use one for CV1 (c) and the other for the Index (a). I never had problems connecting CV1 or the Index - but I've only used the VR-Ready ports.

Post image

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

JoeyC132
Protege
hahaha.....what did I get myself into:) Thanks for all the replies and information. Yeah I wouldn't want to spend over $20 for a usb pci card. I am sure that $100 card is great but I couldn't justify spending that much for a usb port:) 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Both the Rift and Rift S are finicky with on board USBs, and they're also finicky with regards to PCI-E expansions and powered hubs too. The Startech card is a bit over the top and is pretty expensive. Get yourself the 4 port Inateck one instead:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inateck-Superspeed-Ports-PCI-Expansion/dp/B00B6ZCNGM/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=in...

Only 20 quid and works fine, this is one of the two cards recommended by Oculus, with the Starteck one being the other one. I wouldn't chance getting any other because these two are guaranteed to work and any others may be pot luck.

Birthday_Boy
Honored Guest
Owner of a bunch of headsets here and the rift s need to be recalled. there is so may issue with that steaming pile of [Censored] it's unbelievable. As much as the Quest is a winner, the Rift S seems to be some random electronic part clued together that something work.

RattyUK
Trustee

Mectron said:

Owner of a bunch of headsets here and the rift s need to be recalled. there is so may issue with that steaming pile of [Censored] it's unbelievable. As much as the Quest is a winner, the Rift S seems to be some random electronic part clued together that something work.

Odd....  That description doesn't quite match reality in my case 🙂

Initial software/firmware issues appear to be resolved and I can use my Rift S for hours without anything going awry - and the latest PTC software is superb in comparison to previous releases.

Horses for courses I guess.
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

Anonymous
Not applicable

RattyUK said:

Mectron said:

Odd....  That description doesn't quite match reality in my case 🙂

Initial software/firmware issues appear to be resolved and I can use my Rift S for hours without anything going awry - and the latest PTC software is superb in comparison to previous releases.

Horses for courses I guess.

Yep same here, use mine many hours a week with no issue.