cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

2,973 REPLIES 2,973

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

It needs a 200 Dollar price drop.

Well, at least I can keep you posted about the controllers 😉 Just got a reply from Mia:

Hi there, 

I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues with controller input. A member of our troubleshooting team will be available to assist you soon.

In the meantime, you can test any misbehaving inputs by navigating to the SteamVR menu and selecting Devices > Controller Settings > Test Controller. You can use this tool to confirm any behavior you may be noticing.

From Controller Settings, you can also calibrate the orientation of cardinal directions on your thumbstick and adjust deadzones.

Thanks for using Steam,
Mia

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

kevinw729 said:

After doing a bit more background work on the Superdata numbers I still think the 50,000+ sale number for Valve INDEX seems accurate based on what we know - if that is the case, I cant really see how this will be a profitable or sustainable business for them - a lot is resting on the reliability of the systems they have fielded, their QA and those "magical" in development AAA VR titles!

I wonder if Gabe needs to make a lot of money from the Index. Valve profits from the devs - isn't it like 30% of each game sale going into Valve's pockets? So when Steam servers are running Valve can just relax, sit back and watch the money flow in their direction... Maybe they can afford exchanging all these faulty controllers and Index is more like a trophy... I believe 50K Index sales are quite realistic. 

I read somewhere that thumb stick were like a last minute decision - before (I guess) Knuckles looked like this - maybe Valve now regrets changing the design, lol:

Image result for knuckles valve revisions

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

RuneSR2 said:
I wonder if Gabe needs to make a lot of money from the Index. Valve profits from the devs - isn't it like 30% of each game sale going into Valve's pockets? So when Steam servers are running Valve can just relax, sit back and watch the money flow in their direction... Maybe they can afford exchanging all these faulty controllers and Index is more like a trophy... I believe 50K Index sales are quite realistic. 

Yeah, I am not sold on the "needs to make money" - this has been a pet project to steer the opportunity seen by the operation in supporting VR content on their portal. Their partnership with HTC did not evolve in the direction they wanted, and they have worked hard to define the real VR future they want to support. The INDEX is an ends to a means, and is more a DK2 than a final product. The last minute changing seems to bore this out - I am not surprised about the thumb stick as I was about GabeN demanding the Frunck.  

The sudden change in direction and even reversal of support of Enterprise are all parr for the course from a company that is dabbling - while raking in millions from their core business of absently managing the largest of the game portal sales services. The way that "VR Games" have been cosseted by the service shows a continuing commitment, but its clear that they expect others to do the heavy lifting.

Like pushing a unfinished ship down the jetty, but expecting others to do the sailing. This AAA VR release later is going to be the equivalent of the bottle of champagne being broken across the INDEX's bows, but I do not expect much more of their own investment (ala SteamPC)!
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
For now it's the fastest support I can remember - got this 2 hours ago - awesome that they didn't try to make me update drivers, os or anything - or wanted a video of the problem etc:

Thank you Rune,

I appreciate your patience while we completed our investigation. Based on what you have provided and explained in you last and initial message I think replacement will be our best next steps given your controllers' behavior.

I'll need the following information from you so we can get your controller replaced:

• Full Name
  • Address Line 1
  • Address Line 2 (optional)
  • City
  • State
  • Postal Code
  • Phone Number
  • Serial Number of affected controller

Controllers have their serial located near the base along the interior of the "ring" of the controller and start with an "F". Once I have this information, I'll begin processing your request and will update you when finished.

Once we've processed your replacement request please be wary of whatever you read (except this) and only include your affected item; We encourage you to keep the controller's USB cable and lanyard.

Thank you for using Steam

Luciferous
Consultant
Played Seeking Dawn last night, had to abandon it on my other graphics card as it was too demanding but now playing on high with my new card. Great game but I feel the long distances of many of the locations does not work well with the CV1 resolution. Have you tried this with the index?

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Played Seeking Dawn last night, had to abandon it on my other graphics card as it was to demanding but now playing on high with my new card. Great game but I feel the long distances of many of the locations does not work well with the CV1 resolution. Have you tried this with the index?

Yes, stick with the CV1 for now. This game profits from the oled blacks - and I'm only using ss 1.4 or 1.6 in-game (CV1) - and with the help from ASW2.0 45 fps usually feel like 90. Seeking Dawn probably needs a 3080 Ti to run great with the Index - or you have to reduce ss so much that graphics don't look good. For now you really need 90 fps for the Index to shine (due to lack of ASW2) - and getting those 90 (good-looking) fps in Seeking Dawn is extremely hardware demanding. 
For now the game doesn't correctly support Knuckles, maybe the Index could be more interesting with proper controller support. If you get the Index, don't buy the game again on Steam, Revive should work just as well. 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Just shipped one baby to Holland  :'( At least Valve pays for everything  🙂  

uobyywzq3uxn.jpg

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee
Edit: Sorry read ar as vr througout the whole article.
 Im lost 🙂
Be good, die great !

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Seems like Valve is showing some interest in fruit these days... 

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/11/04/apple-has-partnered-with-valve-ar-headset/

Ar? Who cares about ar... Don't want to shoot aliens in my own house, I want to shoot them on their planet! 

Luciferous
Consultant
I can finally see what you mean about ss 2.0. I played RoboRecall tonight and the clarity was impressive.