cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift-S has a hard time tracking at night.

Kcull
Honored Guest
Literally what the title states. I don't know what causes the problem or why it exists but as long as its day time (whether sunlight comes in through the window or not, or even on very cloudy days) I have no tracking issues unless my whole pc lags. But without fail at night even with a million lights on when playing any game within about 30 seconds it loses my hands whereever they are and either freezes them close towhere the stop tracking or just YEETS them across my room somehow. Can't play any beat saber song fully through without pausing multiple times to get my hands to track for the next 10 seconds of a song. Any ideas why this happens and how to fix it?
-Thanks
7 REPLIES 7

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Ya, I know I have a hard time tracking myself to the bathroom at night as well, lol!  Just kidding.

Is some of your lighting LED?  Also, do you have many reflective surfaces like mirrors?  Are you using fresh controller batteries?

Maybe best to produce a log file when this happens and send it off to Oculus support.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Kcull
Honored Guest

TomCgcmfc said:

Ya, I know I have a hard time tracking myself to the bathroom at night as well, lol!  Just kidding.

Is some of your lighting LED?  Also, do you have many reflective surfaces like mirrors?  Are you using fresh controller batteries?

Maybe best to produce a log file when this happens and send it off to Oculus support.

Haven't checked on the forum in a while so sorry im late.
But yea I have a strip of LED lights that light up most of my room as well as my glass desk.
Assuming both of those mess with the tracking?

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Sort of depends on the led's but ya, they can seem to cause a few problems.  Good Fluro or incandescent seem to work best.  You may want to just try additional led strips or higher wattage led's.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

If you can, check the specs of the lamps in your lights. LEDs come in many flavours and should be high frequency (around 40kHz) and some are constant. Early CFLs flickered at twice the mains frequency but later were HF. Some LEDs are designed to be dimmable so will be using PWM (pulses) to do that or to extend the lamp's life, maybe check and try a non-dimmable LED.
I'm using LEDs with no problems.

StygianAgenda
Explorer

If you can, check the specs of the lamps in your lights. LEDs come in many flavours and should be high frequency (around 40kHz) and some are constant. Early CFLs flickered at twice the mains frequency but later were HF. Some LEDs are designed to be dimmable so will be using PWM (pulses) to do that or to extend the lamp's life, maybe check and try a non-dimmable LED.
I'm using LEDs with no problems.

Thanks for that post --I use LED lights throughout my house and wasn't aware of the differences (pulsing vs continuous), but this is certainly something I'll keep in mind.

Something else I've found (my Rift S being my 3rd headset) is that if the LEDs are extremely bright, they seem to flood optical tracking cams with so much light that the cams get the equivalent of snow blindness (white out, too bright to focus).  My LED ceiling lamp (in my den) is a 40w ring strip with output comparable to a 100w incandescent bulb's output, where the one in my kitchen is more closely comparable to a 400w (early in the morning, that thing's so bright, its hard to deal with it... makes me want to scurry into the shadows ... if there were any).

I just picked up my Rift S last night. --zero issues so far, but I figure that researching common issues will give me insight into anything that may yet come .  With the Rift S having an upward pointing optic, I can see where too bright of a light might blind that cam to the point of degrading performance due to the system trying to compensate for one or more optics being unable to focus momentarily (or longer).

@StygianAgenda that's a good point and those are powerful LEDs!
You could be absolutely right about them washing out the top sensors, I think my lamps are all in the 10 - 15W range.

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
Now I must find this 400W comparable for my kitchen!
WAAAGH!